Healthcare Reform

30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I never supported ACA and there were major problems with it. That’s not to say it didn’t do some good things. 

Are you saying we should have gone straight to Medicare for all?

No, we should have never let costs get this high.  Providers and big pharma were allowed to price gouge at their own will.  That's a failure on our government, or an intentional oversight.  And when forced coverage kicked in, the rates went up.

1 minute ago, Redux said:

No, we should have never let costs get this high. 

How?

For the record, I agree there have been some horrible rates. Read my post earlier in this thread for a nightmare situation.  But, I will also point out that rates had been skyrocketing before the ACA. 

I’m guessing that the 10 years before the ACA, our insurance rates averaged a double digit increase each year. 

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

If only we had a governing body that could prevent such things

You know, we need people like you in congress. Someone to help fight corruption. We have a handful already but need more. Join the Justice Democrats and run. Instead of complaining about it, do something about it. You have my vote. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Redux said:

No, we should have never let costs get this high.  Providers and big pharma were allowed to price gouge at their own will.  That's a failure on our government, or an intentional oversight.  And when forced coverage kicked in, the rates went up.

I explained to you a major reason why the premiums kept shooting up. Only one party is responsible for that. Do you see what it keeps coming back around to?

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

The fines were small and healthcare at the portal was affordable. 

My buddy who has his own pressure washing business was able to get coverage for his family (wife, 2 kids) for half of what I paid as an employee at a Fortune 500 company.

My other buddy who was a freelance website designer was able to pay the fine and not worrry about things...he paid around 700 bucks if memory serves...and that was it.  Cost him less than healthcare the entire year.

I've owned my own business for years now, but my wife quit her job this year to work for me, and with that we lost insurance through her employer. The coverage we buy through Obamacare is quite a bit  cheaper, half the deductible, and half the max out of pocket for individuals/family. Prescriptions are cheaper, and so are our co-pays. We've been on it 9 months now, and I have zero complaints so far.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I explained to you a major reason why the premiums kept shooting up. Only one party is responsible for that. Do you see what it keeps coming back around to?

If you want to only point one finger that's fine, I prefer the fist shaking at all of them in Washington.  Not a single one of them has to pay taxes or worry about healthcare or retirement, do they?  Regardless of what color tie they wear.

51 minutes ago, Redux said:

If you want to only point one finger that's fine, I prefer the fist shaking at all of them in Washington.  Not a single one of them has to pay taxes or worry about healthcare or retirement, do they?  Regardless of what color tie they wear.

Hypothetically, and I say that because I assume you don’t believe it to be true, if the Democrats wanted to fix healthcare like they claim, they aren’t able to because too many Republicans get voted in and block any attempts to do so. Let’s say at least 20 of them really do want to do something, then you can’t really blame all of them. Them not being able to convince enough others isn’t necessarily their fault, especially when $ is involved. 

I think you kind of mentioned it before when you were talking about it not being about winning — the system is broken because neither party wants the other to have any plans that work, because then they’d gain more control. I think the Republicans have been a lot more guilty of that than Democrats, especially since 2008, but it’s a huge problem overall and I don’t think it will get better. I think it’s more likely our government will collapse.