Healthcare Reform

On 12/2/2019 at 11:26 AM, BigRedBuster said:

So, here's the situation I'm in.

I have an employee who came to see me shortly before Thanksgiving.  He has major health problems and so does two of his kids.  His wife doesn't have a job where she would get healthcare benefits.

He has worked for our company for over 20 years.  When he first got on our health insurance, he kept a personal policy because back then, preexisting conditions could get you dropped. If he ever had to change jobs, he didn't want to be stuck with no insurance in his condition.  Now, the kids are in the same condition.

Well, he informed me that all was good until this pat summer they got a notice that their insurance policy will no longer be available.  They just received a notice that the new policy will cost them more than their household income.  Now, they could go on our family coverage and which requires they pay some each month for family coverage.  However, he said that would not be fair to the company.  I didn't say that to him, but it would absolutely devastate our company policy.  He obviously knows that.

So, he wants to go to the ACA market place.  Since he has healthcare available here, he can't get affordable coverage there either.

So.....here is what he is proposing.  He wants us to make him an independent contractor.  This would make him not eligible for any of our benefits and then he can buy much more affordable coverage through the marketplace.  Two catches though.  1)  I have to be careful because there are legal issues around who is and is not an actual independent contractor.  and 2)  He also believes he needs me to pay him a certain amount.  That amount would be way out of whack with what other people make in the company.  

If you're in my shoes, what do you do?

Our healthcare system is so f#&%ed up.  And...Republicans act like we have the best system in the world and any major changes to it are going to destroy a great thing.

Just an update here. 

I just received this employees resignation letter. 

So I lost a good employee and he’s in a bad situation. 

great job America. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just an update here. 

I just received this employees resignation letter. 

So I lost a good employee and he’s in a bad situation. 

great job America. 

Did he/will he be able to find an opportunity that pays what he asked or is able to provide the insurance?  Or is it possible that you can hire him as a contractor now?

Wondering how long it will be until small business owners as well as employees figure out that ACA/Obama Care was a good thing and that this group of folks is doing them harm?

20 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Did he/will he be able to find an opportunity that pays what he asked or is able to provide the insurance?  Or is it possible that you can hire him as a contractor now?

Wondering how long it will be until small business owners as well as employees figure out that ACA/Obama Care was a good thing and that this group of folks is doing them harm?

He is trying to be self employed doing what he has done for our company.  This there are parts of what he does that it sure would be nice to keep him doing.  So, he still might end up being paid by us some.  However, this whole thing has put a real stress on our relationship.  I'm trying my best to be as sensitive to the situation as possible.  But, there's only so much I can do.

This gives him then a chance to go out and work for other companies doing the same thing.  

In reality, I'm unfortunately, not encouraged that he is going to be as successful as he thinks.  I honestly hope I'm wrong.  He's a great guy and I hope only the best for him.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know absolutely nothing about either of these bills.

I haven't read them (and probably never will), only HR3 appears to be available to read.

But I'm not sure what he means by "bipartisan", all 135 co-sponsors of HR19 are Republicans.  Unless I missed one or two...

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/3/text

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/19/cosponsors?searchResultViewType=expanded

• 3 weeks later...