Healthcare Reform

• 2 weeks later...

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I read a fairly good critical summary of this study here which points out that the authors are epidemiologists (rather than healthcare economists), that they make a fair amount of favorable assumptions here and that the lead author, while a very reputable epidemiologist, was an unpaid advisor to Bernie in crafting his M4A bill.

In the end single-payer would very likely be more efficient and save lives, but there's a fair bit of political motivation in how they designed their methodology here.

Single-payer would no doubt improve outcomes but there's almost no way we get there in the foreseeable future.

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I read a fairly good critical summary of this study here which points out that the authors are epidemiologists (rather than healthcare economists), that they make a fair amount of favorable assumptions here and that the lead author, while a very reputable epidemiologist, was an unpaid advisor to Bernie in crafting his M4A bill.

In the end single-payer would very likely be more efficient and save lives, but there's a fair bit of political motivation in how they designed their methodology here.

Single-payer would no doubt improve outcomes but there's almost no way we get there in the foreseeable future.

Thanks for pointing that out. I agree with everything you said except  the bolded part of the last sentence.

7 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I agree with everything you said except  the bolded part of the last sentence.

How the heck do we make it happen? If Bernie's bill is at a place where even Warren can't outright say she supports it, he's the only vote it's got in the Senate.

FWIW we absolutely need to get to universal coverage. I'm just not sure single-payer is the path of least resistance.

2 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Considering every civilized country except the US in the entire world is able to do it...I'd have to say if we can't do it, we're turds.

I'd agree. But if we're talking strictly about a single-payer system - that's not true. Lots of countries have universal coverage with different ways of going about it. Some are single-payer. Others are multi-payer, or a mixed system between public and private insurances.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

How the heck do we make it happen? If Bernie's bill is at a place where even Warren can't outright say she supports it, he's the only vote it's got in the Senate.

FWIW we absolutely need to get to universal coverage. I'm just not sure single-payer is the path of least resistance.

It's going to be just as hard to get M4A as to add a public option or any of the other plans, so it's not like there's an easier path. But to get any of that passed is going to take putting real political pressure on politicians by going and telling their constituents that the reason their own families and friends are going bankrupt or dying is because Senator Sitsonhands is voting against M4A. And the voters in those places are going to have to turn up the heat. There's no guarantee it will work, but the popularity of M4A is slowly going up even among Republican voters.

• Plus1 1