Healthcare Reform

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

How long is the wait for Americans that can't afford the initial ophthalmologist visit let alone the surgery?

Looked it up, I wouldn't be covered by anything doing with a ophthalmologist outside of a change in prescription. And I got the good insurance...:(

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Looked it up, I wouldn't be covered by anything doing with a ophthalmologist outside of a change in prescription. And I got the good insurance...:(

Not sure what your saying here?  You wouldn’t be covered by ophthalmic surgery or other treatments. 

13 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

How long is the wait for Americans that can't afford the initial ophthalmologist visit let alone the surgery?

Probably closer to 60 days.  They would be covered by Medicaid or even free clinic surgery.  

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Not sure what your saying here?  You wouldn’t be covered by ophthalmic surgery or other treatments. 

Plan only covers eye ware when a change in prescription occurs. Literally all other things are on the list of what isn't covered. Consultation, surgery, and therapy wouldn't be covered by my plan and would all be out of pocket. 

So with the US being so great, if you can pay out of pocket for your services, it's great. The other 85-90% of us are kind of screwed.

So back to the talk of, if you can afford to snow bird to Phoenix, you probably like getting good treatment in the US. If you don't have the fiscal means to make everything go away with money, you like actually being able to get treated in Canada. Hence, the apparent dichotomy. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Plan only covers eye ware when a change in prescription occurs. Literally all other things are on the list of what isn't covered. Consultation, surgery, and therapy wouldn't be covered by my plan and would all be out of pocket. 

So with the US being so great, if you can pay out of pocket for your services, it's great. The other 85-90% of us are kind of screwed.

So back to the talk of, if you can afford to snow bird to Phoenix, you probably like getting good treatment in the US. If you don't have the fiscal means to make everything go away with money, you like actually being able to get treated in Canada. Hence, the apparent dichotomy. 

Are you talking about VSP (Vision insurance) or are you talking about medical insurance?  2 vastly different things. 

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Probably closer to 60 days.  They would be covered by Medicaid or even free clinic surgery.  

Interesting, so (even assuming you're correct and that those people would be covered at all) the solution to extreme wait times in the American healthcare system is a single-payer system.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Interesting, so (even assuming you're correct and that those people would be covered at all) the solution to extreme wait times in the American healthcare system is a single-payer system.

Ummm..less than 60 day wait for basically free eye surgery isn’t really an extreme wait time.  Especially considering that what time is less than the Canadian and European model. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1