Healthcare Reform

5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Ya I can’t figure out what the holdup is with the FDA.  Though I’m sure you realize that the FDA decision time would have been the same whether we have M4A or our current system.  

I was waiting for the MFA response which is why I put in “actual socialized medicine” because MFA would not be. 

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

52 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

At least hes not Trump, right? The good ole not Trump corruption and lies. 

I’ll take Biden corruption over Trump corruption each day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Trump was a narcissistical a$$h@!e that should have never been anywhere near the Oval Office.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
46 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I’ll take Biden corruption over Trump corruption each day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Trump was a narcissistical a$$h@!e that should have never been anywhere near the Oval Office.

This still isnt right and its whats wrong with this country. Trump or no Trump, its needs to stop. 

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

400,000 deaths are 65 and older.  Wouldn’t they be Medicare or medi/medi patients?  How does that square with the numbers on the article? 

Try reading the article and the associated white paper linked in the article where they break down the data.

18 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Try reading the article and the associated white paper linked in the article where they break down the data.

I did and I don’t see where it shows the age breakdown of deaths, which I looked up earlier, and why Medicare aged folks would be considered underinsured if the premise of the is that it article wants everyone on Medicare? 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I did and I don’t see where it shows the age breakdown of deaths, which I looked up earlier, and why Medicare aged folks would be considered underinsured if the premise of the is that it article wants everyone on Medicare? 

Current Medicare does not cover everything and by itself is underinsurance for many. You often need to buy Part D or supplemental insurance. Medicare for All covers much more and eliminates different paying parts.

But that's just the customer-facing side of healthcare. Medicare for All also addresses disparities in things like rural hospitals. And part of the reason so many became uninsured or underinsured during the pandemic was due to unemployment. Healthcare insurance in the current system is mostly tied to employment, but under Medicare for All people don't suddenly lose healthcare coverage at the same time they're also losing their job. And the current system has copays and other out-of-pocket costs that make it even more challenging to get care when out of work.

There's a ton of links to different studies in the paper, so you'll have to do the leg work yourself if you want to find all the breakdowns. Here's one of the papers:

https://familiesusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/2021-37_Loss-of-Lives_Report_AnalysisStyleB_Final.pdf

each 10% increase in the proportion of a county’s residents who lacked health insurance was associated with a 70% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 48% increase in COVID-19 deaths. In other words, people living in communities with very high rates of uninsurance were much more likely to contract the virus and to die than were people living in communities with relatively few uninsured.

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, RedDenver said:
13 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Current Medicare does not cover everything and by itself is underinsurance for many. You often need to buy Part D or supplemental insurance. 

The things Medicare doesn’t cover like Dentistry, Optical, routine podiatry, hearing aids have nothing to do with Covid and whether one survives or not

12 hours ago, RedDenver said:

each 10% increase in the proportion of a county’s residents who lacked health insurance was associated with a 70% increase in COVID-19 cases

How does Covid-19 know whether or not someone has health insurance?  

The numbers just don’t add up to the conclusion and “underinsured” is a very vague term.  Anyone with Medicare would not be “underinsured” with respect to treating Covid-19.  Hospital care is covered, and injection therapy would be covered, Antibiotic drugs are generic.  80% of the fatalities are aged 65 and older.  The only way the numbers work out in the “paper” is if every person under aged 65 was uninsured or “vaguely underinsured” and a good portion of Medicare aged people chose to not sign up for Medicare or medi/medi plans. 

• Plus1 2
On 3/19/2021 at 8:10 PM, RedDenver said:

I'm' all for healthcare reform and seriously looking at single payer plans.  However, this just seems to be like an attempt to take something bad and use it for an agenda.  There are lots of countries around the world that have single payer plans that have had almost as bad or even worse COVID issues.  

The bigger issue here is looking at the overall costs of care and the costs to the patients in those countries compared to the US after someone is hospitalized from the disease.  In the US, it sucks.  In other countries, it's not a big concern to the patient and a big chance that the cost of the overall care was cheaper.

• Plus1 3
On 3/20/2021 at 9:15 AM, Archy1221 said:

The things Medicare doesn’t cover like Dentistry, Optical, routine podiatry, hearing aids have nothing to do with Covid and whether one survives or not

That has literally nothing to do with my post. Look up what Medicare Part D is, then ask yourself why it exists if everything is covered.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm' all for healthcare reform and seriously looking at single payer plans.  However, this just seems to be like an attempt to take something bad and use it for an agenda.  There are lots of countries around the world that have single payer plans that have had almost as bad or even worse COVID issues.  

The bigger issue here is looking at the overall costs of care and the costs to the patients in those countries compared to the US after someone is hospitalized from the disease.  In the US, it sucks.  In other countries, it's not a big concern to the patient and a big chance that the cost of the overall care was cheaper.

It would be interesting to compare US outcomes to those from other countries. I agree that overall costs need to come down and there are other reasons for M4A. But the pandemic being both a health crisis and an employment crisis is pretty damning for the current system where healthcare comes primarily from employers.

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

That has literally nothing to do with my post. Look up what Medicare Part D is, then ask yourself why it exists if everything is covered.

Wrong person to be telling to look up what PartD is :D and in the following paragraph showed why it’s not as relevant to Covid-19 therapy as you think.  Hopefully you are aware of what Medicare Part A and B are and how those portions of Medicare would deal with Covid-19 care. 

I didn’t really ever say Medicare covered “everything” :dunno.  I was responding to your post about Medicare not covering “everything” and letting you know what Medicare didn’t cover and how those didn’t pertain to Covid-19 treatment.  The numbers from your article still don’t add up.  

• Plus1 1