Healthcare Reform

11 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I’ll feel more comfortable with them after they show their thoughts on relitigating Roe vs Wade. 

The Supremes already said they'd hear Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization. And ACB is well known for her pro-life stance. 

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The Supremes already said they'd hear Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization. And ACB is well known for her pro-life stance. 

Yes.  And that was the left’s biggest worry with her.

So it’s premature to say anyone was misguided yet.

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

ACB is proving not to be the radical alt-right jurist the Dems tried to paint her as.  Kav is also more moderate than predicted by the left.

I wish there was some way to make court appointments less political. 

I'll admit that I had fear that they would be far right and rule cases based on politics instead of how they are supposed to.  I am being pleasantly surprised.

I'm also guessing that there's some far right wingers that aren't too happy with some of their decisions as, in their eyes, being moderate is akin to being a leftist wacko.

Yes, I wish there was a way to make the appointments much less political.  

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The best way to make the Supreme Court apolitical is to limit terms. Lifetime appointments breed this kind of problem. 

Maybe.  I'm not totally sold on that.  There's a big part of me that thinks we would just have the pathetic spectacle that it's become more often.

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The best way to make the Supreme Court apolitical is to limit terms. Lifetime appointments breed this kind of problem. 

I agree. I'm all in on a 18 year term limit.  That would span 2..5 full presidential terms -  enough time to limit knee jerk reaction to political/societal changes but short enough to take in consideration and  allow political/societal changes to be reflected in the court makeup.   It is rare if it has happened at all (besides FDR/Truman) for one political party to have a 18 year hold on the WH plus the Senate.  Of late, 8 years is all the voters can stomach one party in the WH.  Reagan/Bush 12 year stint ended up wt Clinton.  Regardless, the constitution should be their guide and not political/societal changes. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

I’ll feel more comfortable with them after they show their thoughts on relitigating Roe vs Wade. Or less…

And much of the outrage was about how the selection process of both justices went down.  

Ummmmm no.  Remember the whole Kavanaugh is a rapist bulls#!t?  Remember the whole Kavanaugh worked on the I ton impeachment so he will be extreme right judge?

Remember the whole Handsmade Tail during the ACB nomination?    Much more than process bulls#!t pulled out by the media and left

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Ummmmm no.  Remember the whole Kavanaugh is a rapist bulls#!t?  Remember the whole Kavanaugh worked on the I ton impeachment so he will be extreme right judge?

Remember the whole Handsmade Tail during the ACB nomination?    Much more than process bulls#!t pulled out by the media and left

Yes. I remember.

5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I forgot about that stuff!

A lot of people are or should be eating crow but they won't.  I don't think crazy people realize how nuts they sound at the time.  I am not insane so I did not freak out about either of them.  The dude was funny when he was asked about drinking.  I don't remember anything about the lady except people thought she hated women and wanted them in the kitchen. 

People acting like these judges are some kind of programmed robots are insane.  

• Plus1 2
On 6/17/2021 at 12:19 PM, knapplc said:

On 6/17/2021 at 12:22 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Maybe.  I'm not totally sold on that.  There's a big part of me that thinks we would just have the pathetic spectacle that it's become more often.

I think lifetime appointments actually help prevent the SC from becoming more politicized. Once they are in, they are beholden to no one. They don’t have to keep any side “happy” as they won’t be seeking any future employment. I would think that would cause them to possibly moderate a bit and simply rule on the law as intended.

The problem of the court being too far right or too far left is pretty strictly a function of which party appointed and approved and the timing of such activity. Of course, at a time when the court is already  lopsided, shorter terms might help remedy the problem quicker but I don’t think term limits provides any real long term fix. Certainly not the same as term limits for congress anyway.

• Plus1 3