Healthcare Reform

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

How did Obama increase regulation in pharmaceutical companies?

How much of a percentage increase in costs did those regulations cause?

How does that cost compare to the cost of advertising?

What benefits came from the regulations?

What negative affects did the regulations cause?

what percentage of time delay do the regulations cause in bringing a medication to market?

My post that you quoted was mostly sarcastic to illustrate that DESPITE regulations, big pharma (as a business sector) made an obscene amount of money.  Regulations are NOT the problem here--greed and price-gouging are. 

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’ll believe it when I see it. 

Wouldn't be shocked if he gives or guarantees them something and they do it temporarily on a select # of drugs to grab headlines then things go back to normal on November 7. 

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Wouldn't be shocked if he gives or guarantees them something and they do it temporarily on a select # of drugs to grab headlines then things go back to normal on November 7. 

He almost has to be giving them something. What other reason is there for massive price decreases? I can't imagine shareholders will be too excited about voluntarily slashing profits.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

A Trump decision I'm not totally against.

One thing I wonder though, is if this will lower the incentive for drug companies to do thorough testing on drugs for terminally ill patients, and then be less likely to find ones that work.

This is neat. I had no idea such an effort was underway in Nebraska. It was already successful in Maine as a ballot initiative, though their Trumpist governor LePage refuses to honor the choice of his voters and expand Medicaid.

Backers optimistic Medicaid plan will make Nebraska ballot

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Organizers of a petition drive to expand Medicaid in Nebraska say they are making progress toward placing the issue on the November general election ballot, thanks in part to a national group that successfully championed a similar effort in Maine last year.

The Insure the Good Life campaign has already passed the minimum signature threshold in Nebraska’s two largest counties — Douglas and Lancaster — and is sending volunteers to collect signatures in more rural areas, said campaign manager Meg Mandy.

Organizers need about 85,000 signatures by July 5 to qualify. They must also gather signatures from at least 5 percent of the registered voters in 38 of Nebraska’s 93 counties.

“We’re on the right track to meeting the qualifications,” Mandy said. “We’re very confident.”

Organizers have also raised more than $912,000 in cash and in-kind contributions since the committee was formed, according to the Nebraska Accountability and Disclosure Commission.

• Plus1 3