Healthcare Reform

23 hours ago, RedDenver said:

How many of Trump's base will he have to screw before they can see he's not interested in helping them?

Farmers slam Trump 2020 budget plan that includes deep cuts to subsidies

I'm not necessarily against reducing agriculture subsidies, but a lot of Trump's base is from rural areas and this is going to hurt them especially with the tariffs and trade war. 

One really interesting psychological effect we've found out from the Trump presidency is a lot of farmers will literally sell the farm before they give up on the GOP.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok then, what’s your replacement?

I say let them do it - right as 2020 gets geared up, perfect timing for a very savvy politician.  People don't want healthcare.  They didn't march and contact their reps and hold town halls and more to make sure it didn't pass the first time.  This is a great idea, take the worst play you have, the one that is disliked by almost all in the US and roll it out right as people have a choice to vote D or R.  Good stuff.

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok then, what’s your replacement?

Maybe this is good. I'm tired of hearing threats to it. Strike it down. Then maybe people like the girl I know who can't afford her MS medicine without it will stop posting pro Trump memes on her Facebook constantly and not vote for him.

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

I say let them do it - right as 2020 gets geared up, perfect timing for a very savvy politician.  People don't want healthcare.  They didn't march and contact their reps and hold town halls and more to make sure it didn't pass the first time.  This is a great idea, take the worst play you have, the one that is disliked by almost all in the US and roll it out right as people have a choice to vote D or R.  Good stuff. 

I get that this is their endgame with healthcare, but you're right.

Going after the ACA when everyone in the country remembers how badly they tried to muff up healthcare the past two years heading into an election year... doesn't seem like great politics.

I imagine that they hope it gets struck down and the battle lines get set as Medicare for All vs. "We have no real plan but that's socialized medicine!!!1!"

That would be a winnable battle for Dems. M4A is popular with the public even if the details are sketchy at this point.

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I get that this is their endgame with healthcare, but you're right.

Going after the ACA when everyone in the country remembers how badly they tried to muff up healthcare the past two years heading into an election year... doesn't seem like great politics.

I imagine that they hope it gets struck down and the battle lines get set as Medicare for All vs. "We have no real plan but that's socialized medicine!!!1!"

That would be a winnable battle for Dems. M4A is popular with the public even if the details are sketchy at this point.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/house-unveils-medicare-bill/story?id=61386206

And do not fall for these other BS medicare healthcare bills that people like Beto O'Rourke are pushing.  His plan is called Medicare for America.  Need to buy in.  Pay monthly premiums.  Still have deductibles and co-pays.  Does not cover everything like the bill above will.  Its basically private insurance called medicare.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/insurance/medicare-for-america-beto-o-rourke-s-favorite-health-care-plan-explained/ar-BBUVRe5?li=BBnb7Kz

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

So, they had Fox News on at work today (eyeroll.gif) and I noticed they spent a pretty good chunk of time on the administration's continued attempts to undo the ACA.

The chyron I saw said "Trump: We can't live with Obamacare in this country. The premiums are too high and the deductible is horrible."

Trump actually does a pretty good job diagnosing problems sometimes. Those are indeed issues Americans face when paying for their insurance.

But his ability to propose solutions to his diagnosed problems is absolutely awful. He didn't even propose a mechanism for fixing that situation. He just complained about it.

That's what kills me about Republicans in the arena of healthcare reform. They've had a decade+ to complain about the ACA and convince people it's awful, unfixable socialized medicine. But we just watched 2+ years of them trying to get rid of it and their replacements were all absolutely garbage. Of course they ultimately failed.

Now they don't even seem to have a replacement in mind, but they're chugging ahead full steam trying to hatchet the ACA anyway. They're just cynically appealing to peoples' sense of grievance. But, in a lot of ways, Trumpism itself relies on a sense of perpetual grievance.

Just absurd.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

So, they had Fox News on at work today (eyeroll.gif) and I noticed they spent a pretty good chunk of time on the administration's continued attempts to undo the ACA.

The chyron I saw said "Trump: We can't live with Obamacare in this country. The premiums are too high and the deductible is horrible."

Trump actually does a pretty good job diagnosing problems sometimes. Those are indeed issues Americans face when paying for their insurance.

But his ability to propose solutions to his diagnosed problems is absolutely awful. He didn't even propose a mechanism for fixing that situation. He just complained about it.

That's what kills me about Republicans in the arena of healthcare reform. They've had a decade+ to complain about the ACA and convince people it's awful, unfixable socialized medicine. But we just watched 2+ years of them trying to get rid of it and their replacements were all absolutely garbage. Of course they ultimately failed.

Now they don't even seem to have a replacement in mind, but they're chugging ahead full steam trying to hatchet the ACA anyway. They're just cynically appealing to peoples' sense of grievance. But, in a lot of ways, Trumpism itself relies on a sense of perpetual grievance.

Just absurd.

The reason their replacements are garbage is because many of them are influenced by Ayn Rand and they don’t actually believe the government should be involved in helping people get healthcare or regulating the healthcare industry. 

That or they’re being paid off by people in the industry who like the status quo.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

The reason their replacements are garbage is because many of them are influenced by Ayn Rand and they don’t actually believe the government should be involved in helping people get healthcare or regulating the healthcare industry. 

That or they’re being paid off by people in the industry who like the status quo.

Oh definitely.

I don't care if people really love Ayn Rand and Atlas Shrugged or whatever but one arena in which total deregulation and no government involvement in a market absolutely will not work is healthcare. People really don't like hearing that we're going to let the market determine the value of their ability to live.

5 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Oh definitely.

I don't care if people really love Ayn Rand and Atlas Shrugged or whatever but one arena in which total deregulation and no government involvement in a market absolutely will not work is healthcare. People really don't like hearing that we're going to let the market determine the value of their ability to live.

I honestly can’t think of a market that has absolutely no government involvement and is totally deregulated. 

Part of the government’s job is to create an environment where business and thrive. That actually takes a certain level of government involvment. 

The debate should always be about how much and what type of involvement.  Every market is different in that aspect. 

Health care is a horrible market to expect a free market system to work. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I'm old enough to remember when Trump promised this great healthcare plan he had. All done, ready to go, just need a few final pen strokes and it's ready.

That was two years ago.  Where's this magic plan, Trump Believers?

It’s like everything else. He does a great job of complaining about something and creating outrage about the current situation. He forces the issue of getting us out of what he doesn’t like.....but doesn’t have anything better to replace it with and we end up worse off. 

Nafta

north Korea 

iran

environmental agreement

health care

the list keeps growing.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

It’s like everything else. He does a great job of complaining about something and creating outrage about the current situation. He forces the issue of getting us out of what he doesn’t like.....but doesn’t have anything better to replace it with and we end up worse off. 

Nafta

north Korea 

iran

environmental agreement

health care

the list keeps growing.  

He just goes in and tries/succeeds in breaking things.

Which is apparently exactly what millions of his supporters sent him to Washington to do.

I don't know that they've really thought about what happens next.

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

I'm old enough to remember when Trump promised this great healthcare plan he had. All done, ready to go, just need a few final pen strokes and it's ready.

That was two years ago.  Where's this magic plan, Trump Believers?

free medical care for all?   maybe he and AOC are working together?   :)

and that last line as it cuts of....we will do it by making america rich again.   remind me....what has he done with the national debt?