Healthcare Reform

https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/infantmortality.htm

2018 CDC info.

infant mortality rate is an important marker of the overall health of a society. In 2015, the infant mortality rate in the United States was 5.9 deaths per 1,000 live births.

They break it down to these (deaths per 1000 live births) by states - which is pretty interesting.  I'd like to lay the Medicade map over this - my layperson's eyes show a pretty interesting match up.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/infant_mortality_rates/infant_mortality.htm

Then when you compare vs. other nations ...

5aad990b74e90_ScreenShot2018-03-17at6_38_34PM.png.19aa62caf7f5de120fe4038ec995c71d.png

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

This is a good example of very poor governance. Letting politics get in the way of what science tells us works.

In this case common sense tells us what works too. The common sense is backed up by science but you have to be a moron to think this was a waste of $. Especially if you're actually pro-life and not just pretending to be for political gain.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2
  • 3 weeks later...

These are the types of situations where I just don't understand why we don't just pay the bill for a vet to use the normal healthcare system.  Why does a vet need to drive 4 hours just to get a Coloscopy when he probably is passing multiple hospitals that can easily accomplish the same thing....without the scheduling headache?

• Plus1 1

On a more serious note, the way to lower the costs of healthcare is to completely remove the insurance companies, or at the minimum, force them to be non-profit.  The problem is, insurance companies are corrupt, greedy, profit-mongering entities who have people who will always find a way to get around any law.  We would literally need an agency the size of the IRS just to watch and monitor insurance companies.

Then there is big pharma...Deliberately over-pricing things to 10x or more over what they should cost.  

Healthcare SHOULD NOT be a for profit enterprise.

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the final piece of the high cost problem: trial lawyers and people who will sue doctors for the most trivial of reasons.  I see these ads on tv all the time for class action lawsuits against healthcare providers.  This crap needs to be severely restricted.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

On a more serious note, the way to lower the costs of healthcare is to completely remove the insurance companies, or at the minimum, force them to be non-profit.  The problem is, insurance companies are corrupt, greedy, profit-mongering entities who have people who will always find a way to get around any law.

Then there is big pharma...Deliberately over-pricing things to 10x or more over what they should cost.  

I agree with tort system reform, though it's more easy said than done.

Solvency, which is related to an insurance company's rating, is a good thing.

Do you know what all goes in to obtaining the patent on a drug?  Do you know how long a patent is good for?

I realize it's easy to point a finger at "evil" corporate America, but we are a capitalistic market, right?

• Plus1 1