Healthcare Reform

5 hours ago, GSG said:

I don't know if I ever posted anything about this, but right after Christmas 2020, my wife and I were in a really back rollover accident on the interstate in Iowa. We ended up getting a $42,000 bill from her insurance because her ICU treatments weren't "cleared with her insurance provider ahead of time." She ended up having 27 staples in her scalp and multiple pins in her elbow to repair the broken bones. Not to mention some of her shoulder muscles are gone. After almost 2 full years of f#&%ing around with the hospital and the insurance company, we got an update today that we'll only have to pay her Co-pay of $750! 

We're thrilled with the end result but the fact that we had to screw around with this s#!t is absolutely ridiculous 

Nice man! Glad you avoided anything more serious and fought the good fight to get the bastards to pay their end.

Never forget, insurance companies exist for one reason and one reason only: to make money. Part of the reason our insurance system here is so f#&%ed up.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Nice man! Glad you avoided anything more serious and fought the good fight to get the bastards to pay their end.

Never forget, insurance companies exist for one reason and one reason only: to make money. Part of the reason our insurance system here is so f#&%ed up.

This is like Home Insurance.

I don't own the home, the bank does, why am I paying the insurance????????  THE f#&%ING BANK SHOULD BE PAYING IT!

• Plus1 1
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

Having open enrollment at work. Was thinking about adding my wife (and eventually our soon to be born son). My monthly premiums would go up 3.5x to add just my wife, and just slightly less to add our son. To add both would be over 6x the cost :blink:

41 minutes ago, GSG said:

Having open enrollment at work. Was thinking about adding my wife (and eventually our soon to be born son). My monthly premiums would go up 3.5x to add just my wife, and just slightly less to add our son. To add both would be over 6x the cost :blink:

Welcome to the world of insurance.  I deal with this all the time and employees complain about it, but there isn't anything we can do.

2 hours ago, GSG said:

Yep. Insurance costs keep increasing and employers (many anyway) keep cutting down on the share they’re willing/able to pay.

I guess the 3.5x or 6x depends on how good of a deal you’re getting as the employee. We pay about $1800/mo for just the 2 of us now. Of course we’re older and decrepit :lol:  I think my daughter pays about $60 per check (or $60 per month, not sure which) for her emp only coverage. 3.5 or 6x that wouldn’t be terrible. 

• 1 month later...

I don’t have any allergies, but I have family members that do. This has always interested me as to why it’s increasing.  

If I would have gone into medical research, this might be what I would have studied.  

I have read a number of articles on studies that theorize that our sterile environment cause certain problems. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

The immigrant discussion here nails it for so many jobs and industries.

I'm always amused when the solution is to keep doing what we're already doing - private sector industries. Has Romney actually looked at what those other nations are doing? Hint: it's not more private sector healthcare. It's almost like "health" is not a commodity that people can elect to wait for better prices like a cell phone or car.

• Plus1 1