Tyjon Lindsey

Just now, ScottyIce said:

Like, why wouldn’t he love it when he got rhabdo? ;)

Ya I'm gonna give him a pass. They kind of have to do what they're being told by the S&C trainers. They're competing for jobs and trying to impress the coaches, and there has to be trust there, and in doing what he was told he was hurt. So I wouldn't blame him even if he was angry.

Hm, sure. I was thinking multiplicative explicitly doesn't cover a^kx while that's the only thing exponential does cover, and it seems like a reasonable enough way to describe this situation for appropriate values of a and k. For example, make a about 1.1 and k a little below 2.

But, fine, the number of playmakers is certainly not continuous :P I feel like these criteria are a little too academic, though. It amounts to "don't use exponential unless you're literally describing a mathematical function." 

8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Ya I can't get that nerdy about it. But exponential is more specific than multiplicative. I don't think the following definition applies to an increasing rate of improvement for the offense. "Exponential growth is exhibited when the rate of change—the change per instant or unit of time—of the value of a mathematical function is proportional to the function's current value" (ya it's from wikipedia).

Multiplicative covers all of these:

300px-Exponential.svg.png

Now I'm going to steal someone's answer that I've just now randomly found 'cause it sounds smart and kinda summarizes the way I'm seeing it.

https://www.quora.com/When-is-it-correct-to-say-something-is-growing-exponentially

I plussed this because you used a word (multiplicative) with more syllables than I have toes. And by the way, you're smarter than I am, but I just stole your hubcaps.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Hm, sure. I was thinking multiplicative explicitly doesn't cover a^kx while that's the only thing exponential does cover, and it seems like a reasonable enough way to describe this situation for appropriate values of a and k. For example, make a about 1.1 and k a little below 2.

But, fine, the number of playmakers is certainly not continuous :P I feel like these criteria are a little too academic, though. It amounts to "don't use exponential unless you're literally describing a mathematical function." 

Ya, I think I mentioned that earlier. Exponential is in the English language as just an increase in growth rate over time. But people were makin' fun of the "multiplicative" person.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Ya I'm gonna give him a pass. They kind of have to do what they're being told by the S&C trainers. They're competing for jobs and trying to impress the coaches, and there has to be trust there, and in doing what he was told he was hurt. So I wouldn't blame him even if he was angry.

Oh neither would I that’s not what I meant. Was just saying he has good reason to leave if he does, I suppose. And poking fun at redux

Ohh, I see. I guess that's fine! So the colloquial meaning of "multiplicative" is really just "anything to do with multiplying" :P Nice.

I suppose I can agree too that maybe we should be precise with the term exponential. We should word filter all forms of "exponential" over to multiplicative, just to punish the mean-spirited folks who made fun of it to begin with :D

• Plus1 1