Duval's conditioning starts Monday. UCF players share.

11 hours ago, DaveH said:

What I don't get is why conditioning now? Even spring ball is a few months away, let alone the actual season.

Conditioning adaptations come on fast and leave fast, relative to strength. Why not use this time to focus on getting stronger and bring on conditioning closer to when it's needed?

I think if you maintain your conditioning throughout the year then it's somewhat of a moot point.

My fiancée sees a professional strength coach and she's been assigned 20 minutes of high intensity cardio even on days she lifts. I think there are probably some similarities in the mindsets there. And, from a personal standpoint, I have a lot of friends who lift regularly and are a lot stronger than me. But, if you put us in high intensity cardio situations, they struggle a lot to keep up with me. You need to treat both equally or at least take your conditioning as serious as you take your lifting.

52 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think if you maintain your conditioning throughout the year then it's somewhat of a moot point.

My fiancée sees a professional strength coach and she's been assigned 20 minutes of high intensity cardio even on days she lifts. I think there are probably some similarities in the mindsets there. And, from a personal standpoint, I have a lot of friends who lift regularly and are a lot stronger than me. But, if you put us in high intensity cardio situations, they struggle a lot to keep up with me. You need to treat both equally or at least take your conditioning as serious as you take your lifting.

I think maintaining a base level of conditioning is useful to support training in general, sure.  That being said I'm not sure these guys lack this base level of conditioning.

But to me it's a question of optimizing use of time.  Strength takes longer to develop than conditioning. If you're a long way off from needing a high level of conditioning, why develop it now? I'd really like to know if there is some good reason behind this or is it done because "that's just the way we do it".

Lots of stuff works, for sure, especially when you're dealing with already gifted people. 

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I'm assuming by your post you're probably knowledgeable, but I'm still gonna say... I trust a guy who won an award this year for top S&C coach.

It's a hobby of mine, for sure.

That being said, challenging people who's experience in a given topic outweighs your own is what Internet forums are based on.  Isn't this board full of threads challenging and criticizing coaching decisions? 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Are we making the assumption that when they say "conditioning" they are ONLY talking about endurance/running?  

I was fairly certain that "conditioning" included pretty much everything - weight training, running, stretching, etc.

I just hope they're all working on their touchdown dances

tenor.gif

Edited by GSG
  • Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, DaveH said:

I think maintaining a base level of conditioning is useful to support training in general, sure.  That being said I'm not sure these guys lack this base level of conditioning.

But to me it's a question of optimizing use of time.  Strength takes longer to develop than conditioning. If you're a long way off from needing a high level of conditioning, why develop it now? I'd really like to know if there is some good reason behind this or is it done because "that's just the way we do it".

Well, something that might satiate your line of questioning can be found in the OP's article. It starts off by focusing on a lifting success story under Duval's tutelage (from Christmas to summer, no less).

I think it's fair to question S&C just like it is to question any coach doing something, but, I'm currently falling back on two things: 1) Duval just earned a S&C COTY award and 2) people are doing nothing but raving about Duval's knowledge/abilities. I'm going to have a tough time questioning his methods until I see the results on a fall Saturday.

As a side note, the word we've heard a lot since Frost took over is "fast." They're probably going to be training on running 100-110 plays in anticipation of running between 70-90 in a game. There's no way they're going to be able to do that unless they're in peak physical condition in all facets.

I don't think there is anything wrong with questioning the S&C staff, but we really have no idea what the players are doing right now.  I think one thing that we need to consider if that the offense will be going from one of the slowest paced offenses in college football to one of the fastest.  That is going to require the players to be in better physical condition, and not just "stronger".  I don't think the players were "out of shape" under Phillipp, but they may not have been the peak condition that is needed.  Frost wants the entire team to be playing fast and aggressive, so that style of play is going to require the players to work on their speed, agility, and overall conditioning.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

As a side note, the word we've heard a lot since Frost took over is "fast." They're probably going to be training on running 100-110 plays in anticipation of running between 70-90 in a game. There's no way they're going to be able to do that unless they're in peak physical condition in all facets.

Another thing to consider is the mental aspect. If you're going to play "fast", then I'd think you'd want your players to have that reinforced in everything they do. So the conditioning might be as much mental conditioning as physical.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Another thing to consider is the mental aspect. If you're going to play "fast", then I'd think you'd want your players to have that reinforced in everything they do. So the conditioning might be as much mental conditioning as physical.

A huge aspect for physical conditioning is the mental conditioning part of it.  It's working through the pain or working through times where they think they can't push themselves.  Your mind is going to want you to quit, well before your body.

One of the biggest parts of conditioning is building rapport and teamwork and developing team leaders.  When the team is being pushed to their physical limits, that's where you will see if they are pushing/supporting each other and when leaders (both vocal and non-vocal) step up.

• Plus1 2

On 1/24/2018 at 11:43 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

A huge aspect for physical conditioning is the mental conditioning part of it.  It's working through the pain or working through times where they think they can't push themselves.  Your mind is going to want you to quit, well before your body.

One of the biggest parts of conditioning is building rapport and teamwork and developing team leaders.  When the team is being pushed to their physical limits, that's where you will see if they are pushing/supporting each other and when leaders (both vocal and non-vocal) step up.

Basically it is just this: giphy.gif

• Plus1 2

I like the fact that recovery, nutrition, and focus on the applicable energy systems for football will be stressed.

Any idiot can make strength and conditioning "hard".  Players puking in buckets is hardly the mark of excellence.

I'd like to hear more about the aerobic/anaerobic training during different phases, types of lifts emphasized, strength vs. power strategies.  

It sounds like there has been a positive synergy between Frost and Duval and I'm happy Nebraska was able to bring a "system" to UNL rather than a bunch of individual parts which don't necessarily complement each other.

• Plus1 2

Have we heard anything coming from the players themselves on the new regimen?  I'd think by now we'd have some additional tweets and such.  Actually I am more hoping than thinking.

I did hear Versal and Hoskinson talking this week and getting off on the "puking" thing.  To them, it wasn't so much the coaches pushing them so hard they puked, but the rest of the team.  One of them said he'd see guys hacking in the bucket and think to himself "I'm not pushing it hard enough"....that and seeing the guy who wants your spot going 10% harder than you were.  So it is about a good regimen, but it is also about constant competition within the team.  Might have been when the 94-96 team was around, but I remember them saying the couldn't wait till Saturday for a break because the practices were so hard.  I want that!  And I have a strong hope/feeling/belief that we've got the leaders in place to make that happen again.

I want to see our guys knock opponents on the can, help them up, pat them on the back, then repeat the process...every play.  A little showboating is fine I guess..but the way those teams conducted their on-field business was epic.

Ok...old guy done with flashback now.  GO BIG RED!!!!

• Plus1 1