Duval's conditioning starts Monday. UCF players share.

30 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't really know if he has a spot.  I suppose Tight End would be about the only other option.

I just wasn't ever expecting much from him because being that tall doesn't lend itself to football all that well.

You're right about the height thing but it's not like we were the only big school recruiting him out of HS.  Idk how much legit interest was there from the other schools but he supposedly had offers (OU, Mich, Oregon) so hopefully the height isn't too much of an issue and the light comes on.

I think this is an in-state kid Frost would have signed here as well.

Nebraska players by now have a good feel for new Husker head strength coach Zach Duval’s personality.

“Very smart guy,” said senior defensive lineman Freedom Akinmoladun. “If I want to understand why I’m doing a certain lift, he’ll tell me. He’ll take me to his office and say, ‘I’m doing this so you can do this, this and this on the field. This is how it’s going to translate on the field.’”

Duval wants to make workouts competitive and fun — which can help make a 4:45 a.m. wakeup call seem OK, said Akinmoladun, who is part of the defensive line group that begins workouts at 6 a.m. four times per week.

He gets up early to make sure he eats a good breakfast.

“You can’t lift that much weight on an empty stomach,” he said.

As for rising early, “Of course, your body adjusts,” he said. “I start sleeping earlier, so I get better sleep. I’ll go to bed at 9:30 on a bad night, 8:30 on a good night. When 8:30 hits I’m like, ‘Wow, I’m tired.’”

LJS

• Plus1 1

On 3/9/2018 at 6:02 PM, jsneb83 said:

Is that how you are supposed to power clean? We always brought it down to the rest position like hang cleans, and the lower it to the floor and power clean

A power clean is just an indication that the hips don't descend below the knees during the lift.  Full clean (from the floor), hang cleans (high hang, low hang, pocket, etc), and box cleans, among others could all be done "power" or full (squat cleans isn't a term used outside of CrossFit).

I wonder if these guys are squatting high bar or low bar in the back squat.  If they have been using front squat for a couple of years and switch to a low bar back squat, the numbers they're lifting are going to go up by a very large amount regardless of whether they are actually stronger.  I actually think the front squat translates to football better than a back squat.

I really can't see a reason to have football players snatch at any significant level of effort.  That's an incredibly technical lift for barbell athletes and would have a lot of injury potential for most football players.

Edited by 307husker
  • Plus1 2

Duval wants to make workouts competitive and fun — which can help make a 4:45 a.m. wakeup call seem OK, said Akinmoladun, who is part of the defensive line group that begins workouts at 6 a.m. four times per week.

As for rising early, “Of course, your body adjusts,” he said. “I start sleeping earlier, so I get better sleep. I’ll go to bed at 9:30 on a bad night, 8:30 on a good night. When 8:30 hits I’m like, ‘Wow, I’m tired.’”

Can anyone think of an added benefit to this, considering these are 18 - 22 year olds?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, huKSer said:

Can anyone think of an added benefit to this, considering these are 18 - 22 year olds?

Two fold.

1. Your body has raised testosterone levels that early in the morning right after waking up and you are able to get more out of your lifts. Many high schools in Texas already do so to get the most out of 14-18 year olds.

2. It doesn't afford the option of staying up late and missing out on sleep. Football really becomes a 24/7 job for these guys.

https://www.hgha.com/blog/testosterone/why-testosterone-levels-are-higher-in-the-morning/

"Upon awakening, testosterone levels are at their peak. Once food intake begins, these levels will start to fluctuate throughout the day. Physical exertion and exercise can also play a significant role in the daily production. Lack of sleep and stress are additional factors that can impact changes in testosterone levels for adult men and women."

Edited by husker_fan_from_sweden
  • Plus1 4

From Nebraska 247:

Saturday, Assistant Director of Sports Nutrition Tommy Jensen tweeted results from Nebraska’s winter conditioning work on Saturday. According to Jensen, the Huskers lost a combined 389 pounds of fat, gained 436 pounds of muscle, and lost an average of 2.8 percent body fat. All totaled, Nebraska lost more than 1.3 million calories worth of fat. 

Not sure how long the time period was for this weight loss/gain transformation but it is roughly a third of a pound for the 130 or so on the team give a take a quarter pounder meal.  I would expect that by fall one could expect to see three or four times that or more.   Wonder what the average body fat% was and is and should be to please Coach Frost?   That is, how far do we need to go to get to the 'right' numbers as a team.   I am sure there are a handful of guys that are already in pretty good shape but some a long ways off.  

Dropping about 15 pounds of dead weight and adding 10 lbs of muscle will make a difference and 25 lbs would be dramatic I'd guess.

Edited by 84HuskerLaw
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Not sure how long the time period was for this weight loss/gain transformation but it is roughly a third of a pound for the 130 or so on the team give a take a quarter pounder meal.  I would expect that by fall one could expect to see three or four times that or more.   Wonder what the average body fat% was and is and should be to please Coach Frost?   That is, how far do we need to go to get to the 'right' numbers as a team.   I am sure there are a handful of guys that are already in pretty good shape but some a long ways off.  

Dropping about 15 pounds of dead weight and adding 10 lbs of muscle will make a difference and 25 lbs would be dramatic I'd guess.

Pretty sure that's three pounds, not a third of a pound.

• Plus1 1