The 75/25 Rule

TGHusker

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

Raw athleticism often covers major flaws.  Hinder that speed a touch from a small injury, then what?  You've got a guy out there whose no longer faster, but also lacks in technique.

I think with Frost, both matter a lot.

Of course the combination of athleticism and technique is the best.  That's what every coach strives for.

Taylor Martinez comes to mind.  Our 2010 team was championship caliber.  But as soon as his wheel got banged up we were useless for the most part against top teams.  We could still run, but we were one dimensional without his speed because he didn't have the technique or skill throwing the ball to make teams honest.

Edited by Redux
On 1/23/2018 at 8:30 PM, Comfortably Numb said:

Actually, I don’t think generally there is significant disparity in talent at the D1 level and, where there is, yes of course that plays a role in the teams success. But this is really a whole different issue and does not negate the obvious need and benefit of preparation. I mean even a team with talent like Bama can struggle with a lower level opponent if that team has prepared well and the other just relies on their talent. They may win the game but I would guarantee that teams that don’t prepare well will execute more poorly in games. It’s so obvious it probably doesn’t deserve to be said. That was the MO of Osborne teams, prepare and work in practice to the point the games were a walk in the park compared to practice. It’s invaluable.

It's not supposed to be an argument against preparation's importance.

It's an argument against hyperbole.

...the premise the OP put forth has been proven to me and since I saw similar results in perhaps 400 plus other soldiers, I can conclude the general premise is objectively true, I spent 22 years in a profession that required insane volumes of repetitive compound movements, and training goal was to build muscle memory, which is also a very is a real thing.l.i suppose first clarity I should define the terms and these words are oft defined and understood  differently as these concepts pertain to the insane complexity of Mankinds body..anyways the idea is that under stress, the brain can be disengaged, in a sense, form ones body, bypassing the critical thought process..allowing lightning fast reaction times..

10 hours ago, 1994 Husker said:

...the premise the OP put forth has been proven to me and since I saw similar results in perhaps 400 plus other soldiers, I can conclude the general premise is objectively true, I spent 22 years in a profession that required insane volumes of repetitive compound movements, and training goal was to build muscle memory, which is also a very is a real thing.l.i suppose first clarity I should define the terms and these words are oft defined and understood  differently as these concepts pertain to the insane complexity of Mankinds body..anyways the idea is that under stress, the brain can be disengaged, in a sense, form ones body, bypassing the critical thought process..allowing lightning fast reaction times..

Thank-you for your service.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, TGHusker said:

I heard it said the other day that winning or success in general is "75% preparation and 25% execution". 

Some questions to consider:

1. Do you agree with this rule?

2. If so, how do you believe the current staff will be measured against this rule (will they show it to be true and succeed or fail)? 

3. Do you believe they will be better in the preparation phase

than  previous staffs  post TO era?  If so what signs do you see now (or don't see) to justify your answer?

Edit: Don't get hung up on the % but rather the concept that success follows prep work an execution is only as good as that prep work.  Prep includes S&C, film work, practice all pre-kickoff stuff. Will this staff be better than previous staffs at NU and if so, how will it be reflected on the field during game day (execution).

In college football, I'd venture to say that preparation is closer to 90%.  Take Tom Osborne's teams, especially the mid 90's ones, they were so well prepared the game was similar to a day off. 

Pertaining to Coach Frost, yes I absolutely believe the team will be far better prepared every week.  No coach can prepare for every single possible variation, but given that teams have a finite amount of executable plays in a season, knowing tendencies is huge because every team has a handful of plays they'll go to in "crunch time."

The Peach Bowl versus Auburn.  By all rights, if the game was played on paper, UCF would probably lose 9 put of 10 match-ups.  But Coach Frost saw what Auburn was trying to do and devised a game plan to take it away.  Sure Auburn scored some points, that to be expected.  But to limit a Gus Malzahn offense to 27 points, especially with UCF's undersized front seven, was almost perfect.  The best part of the Peach Bowl was in the second half when Auburn started to come back, UCF's players didn't panic.  They kept their heads in the game and kept playing hard.  

Nothing is certain except for death and taxes, but I feel better about the direction of Nebraska football than I have in the last 10 years at least. 

5 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

In college football, I'd venture to say that preparation is closer to 90%.  Take Tom Osborne's teams, especially the mid 90's ones, they were so well prepared the game was similar to a day off. 

They would consume defense with fireballs from their eyes, and bolts of lightning from their arses. 

• Plus1 1

On 1/27/2018 at 12:57 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

Pertaining to Coach Frost, yes I absolutely believe the team will be far better prepared every week.  No coach can prepare for every single possible variation, but given that teams have a finite amount of executable plays in a season, knowing tendencies is huge because every team has a handful of plays they'll go to in "crunch time."

The Peach Bowl versus Auburn.  By all rights, if the game was played on paper, UCF would probably lose 9 put of 10 match-ups.  But Coach Frost saw what Auburn was trying to do and devised a game plan to take it away.  Sure Auburn scored some points, that to be expected.  But to limit a Gus Malzahn offense to 27 points, especially with UCF's undersized front seven, was almost perfect.  The best part of the Peach Bowl was in the second half when Auburn started to come back, UCF's players didn't panic.  They kept their heads in the game and kept playing hard.  

Nothing is certain except for death and taxes, but I feel better about the direction of Nebraska football than I have in the last 10 years at least. 

Good post.  I too noticed how the UCF's players didn't panic.  Our team would have melted as they so often did under Bo and MR (wt a couple of occasions where they didn't).