Poll: Abortion legality belief spectrum

What is your belief about Abortion Law in the USA?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 4/11/2019 at 6:57 AM, NM11046 said:

The ProLife Party folks.  Unless you're a woman (but a baby woman is protected until she breathes her first breath, then all bets are off).

This guy and the Alabama  and Georgia votes make me think that there is a bridge too far. 

The swing of the GOP to the far alt right is on full display.   

I have got to think that brain cells die the further right these guys go. 

I am Pro-life - I believe the baby in the womb must be protected but I also believe that the women need protections as well.  

Pretty soon there will  clean divide between abortion rights states and those which are not.   If they boarder each other I expect clinics to spring up on the boarders of the abortion rights states to assist those women who will come in droves from the other states.   Kind of like wet and dry counties back when liquor access was limited by legislation in some states after prohibition.  I expect this overreaction will have the same outcome as prohibition.  People will find other means to receive the services that have been banned. 

Pro-life state reps would better serve their community by instead of rushing to be the most far right position, that they instead rush to the other side of the isle and work with pro-choice reps to create workable solutions that would help the whole community.   

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

This guy and the Alabama  and Georgia votes make me think that there is a bridge too far. 

The swing of the GOP to the far alt right is on full display.   

I have got to think that brain cells die the further right these guys go. 

I am Pro-life - I believe the baby in the womb must be protected but I also believe that the women need protections as well.  

Pretty soon there will  clean divide between abortion rights states and those which are not.   If they boarder each other I expect clinics to spring up on the boarders of the abortion rights states to assist those women who will come in droves from the other states.   Kind of like wet and dry counties back when liquor access was limited by legislation in some states after prohibition.  I expect this overreaction will have the same outcome as prohibition.  People will find other means to receive the services that have been banned. 

Pro-life state reps would better serve their community by instead of rushing to be the most far right position, that they instead rush to the other side of the isle and work with pro-choice reps to create workable solutions that would help the whole community.   

My understanding is that with the AL law if a woman crosses the border to terminate a pregnancy and comes back she's still considered a felon.

Also in AL - a felon loses the right to vote.  So women, doctors that terminate pregnancies etc would not be allowed to take part in the democracy there.  

Anybody else see a lot of bs starting to escalate?

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

My understanding is that with the AL law if a woman crosses the border to terminate a pregnancy and comes back she's still considered a felon.

Also in AL - a felon loses the right to vote.  So women, doctors that terminate pregnancies etc would not be allowed to take part in the democracy there.  

Can we just sell Alabama to China to help pay off our national debt?

• Plus1 5
1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

That's my understanding also.  But I don't see how there would be any way to enforce it.  Would the state be able to request medical records???  Would they just go off of word of mouth?  Would they actually have the audacity to require a woman submit to a medical exam demanded by a search warrant?

That is some disgusting stuff right there....

• Plus1 4
46 minutes ago, funhusker said:

That's my understanding also.  But I don't see how there would be any way to enforce it.  Would the state be able to request medical records???  Would they just go off of word of mouth?  Would they actually have the audacity to require a woman submit to a medical exam demanded by a search warrant? 

That is some disgusting stuff right there....

Overturning Roe v. Wade to actually enforce this law would trample the woman's privacy and pretty much destroy the point of HIPAA. They'll probably argue we have no constitutional expectation of privacy and civil-liberty lovin' Republicans will shrug & look the other way.

But, you know, I'm sure some stuffy old men know what's better for a woman medically than the doctor or the woman herself.

Edit: I was far too nice.

I'm in the medical field. I take this stuff very seriously. One of the principles they teach you in school is to respect the autonomy of the patient to make their own healthcare decisions.

This obviously spits in the eye of that principle. Once again Republicans are trying to dictate people's healthcare to them. They're trying to bully and intimidate both women and their doctors into complying with their own ideology.

F#ck that. What ever happened to the separation of church and state? This is legislating theology. The evangelical right needs to back the f#ck off people's healthcare choices.

• Plus1 6

17 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Overturning Roe v. Wade to actually enforce this law would trample the woman's privacy and pretty much destroy the point of HIPAA. They'll probably argue we have no constitutional expectation of privacy and civil-liberty lovin' Republicans will shrug & look the other way.

But, you know, I'm sure some stuffy old men know what's better for a woman medically than the doctor or the woman herself.

Edit: I was far too nice.

I'm in the medical field. I take this stuff very seriously. One of the principles they teach you in school is to respect the autonomy of the patient to make their own healthcare decisions.

This obviously spits in the eye of that principle. Once again Republicans are trying to dictate people's healthcare to them. They're trying to bully and intimidate both women and their doctors into complying with their own ideology.

F#ck that. What ever happened to the separation of church and state? This is legislating theology. The evangelical right needs to back the f#ck off people's healthcare choices.

Danny, this isn't just a church and state thing.  There are non-church, non Christian people who also are on the pro-life side of the debate.  I'm not here to defend the Bama law as noted in my previous post, but there is also the other individual in the equation - the baby - which has a separate heart beat, DNA and yes a separate body then the mother.  Those of us on the pro-life side know that it is more than a woman and a doctor - there is a third consideration - the baby and its rights.  When a drunk driver kills a pregnant female  that driver is often charged for 2 deaths - the mother to be and the child in the womb.   The same consideration should be given in this debate.  The Bama law is a harsh backlash, - because of the emotion in this debate, we are prevented from finding a common point of agreement as both sides shout over the top of each other.

24 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Danny, this isn't just a church and state thing.  There are non-church, non Christian people who also are on the pro-life side of the debate.  I'm not here to defend the Bama law as noted in my previous post, but there is also the other individual in the equation - the baby - which has a separate heart beat, DNA and yes a separate body then the mother.  Those of us on the pro-life side know that it is more than a woman and a doctor - there is a third consideration - the baby and its rights.  When a drunk driver kills a pregnant female  that driver is often charged for 2 deaths - the mother to be and the child in the womb.   The same consideration should be given in this debate.  The Bama law is a harsh backlash, - because of the emotion in this debate, we are prevented from finding a common point of agreement as both sides shout over the top of each other.

Is the baby in the womb considered a US citizen? If not, how does it have rights under US law? Also, if a baby in the womb does have rights, what does this mean for illegal immigrants who are pregnant? Do their babies have rights? 

• Plus1 1

It feels like this is all part of a bizarre endgame: a faltering Republican Party shores itself up by mobilizing evangelicals, including many previous non-voters who come in as single-issue voters and align with the candidate most likely to overturn Roe vs. Wade. That's how you get blue-collar voters to vote against their self-interest by siding with billionaires, Christians to vote for a Party that demonizes immigrants, the poor, the sick and pretty much anything Jesus Christ actually stood for, and Republicans to vote for Republicans who have veered out of their comfort zone, but at least aren't Hillary Clinton.

And perhaps with the clock ticking down on the old white guys, they double down at the state level, outlawing abortion in a way that is painstakingly extreme and vindictive, and also, not incidentally, well beyond the opinions of their own constituents. 

For two years we've been playing a game of "how ugly can this get" and somehow we keep finding a new bottom. The common thread is a group of people who want to return America to the way it was; when men enjoyed clear superiority over women, minorities stayed in their lane, and America enjoyed manifest destiny to do whatever it wanted. 

They now have an open window to do their worst, and that's exactly what they're doing. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I don't begrudge people their pro-life opinions. I personally want as few abortions as possible, but morality and legality are two different concepts. Roe is the law of the land. The science is the science.

My point in going off is that the evangelical Christian right are the ones driving this policy push within the Republican party. Certainly there are other parties involved, but they're cranking out these laws like clockwork now at the state level because this is a key voting bloc for the GOP and they feel the Trump/McConnell takeover of the judicial branch is amenable to one of these laws destroying Roe.

What is wrong here  is they're de facto saying an unborn child's rights supersede those of the mother to make her own decisions. Republicans who wouldn't dare say the government should have more control of their life are fine legislating away a woman's medical autonomy.

IT IS WRONG for a separate third party to dictate to a doctor and a patient what they are allowed to do on the basis of their religious beliefs. Full stop. To think this is the party that complained about death panels. That is the opposite of religious freedom.

The common point of agreement would be doing things like sex education and improving access to healthcare, including contraceptives, for women, so we can lower rates of unwanted pregnancies. Not crippling medical ethics or intimidating and punishing those with whom you disagree.

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

What is wrong here  is they're de facto saying an unborn child's rights supersede those of the mother to make her own decisions.

If we were talking about two adult citizens, then one citizen's right to keep living does supersede another's right to keep 'autonomous' medical decisions that have a direct result on someone else's life.

3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

If we were talking about two adult citizens, then one citizen's right to keep living does supersede another's right to keep 'autonomous' medical decisions that have a direct result on someone else's life.

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Is the baby in the womb considered a US citizen? If not, how does it have rights under US law? Also, if a baby in the womb does have rights, what does this mean for illegal immigrants who are pregnant? Do their babies have rights? 

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

These are all questions at the center of the debate. In addition to other questions that aren't matters of what is or isn't true, but what ought to be true. Our government still offers certain rights and protections to non-citizens.