Poll: Abortion legality belief spectrum

What is your belief about Abortion Law in the USA?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, Landlord said:

That's weird, because I haven't made any claim of what I believe about when the cluster of cells should  be considered "life", so I don't know how you can disagree with something I've never said or made my opinion known on.

Dude - you have been asking me questions about how I could believe something and why I said things - I clarified why I believe what I answered.  

Sorry if I assumed too much on why you think what you think. We disagree.  I could have just said “you’re wrong” like you have been saying to me, but I thought a conversation was better. 

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...

48 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I'm still just flabbergasted when it's put on display so flagrantly.

His base are the same people who posted on facebook when Trump was elected that God was going to be in the White House again. They don't want separation of Church and state because they're religion is the one that's being conjoined.

• Plus1 2
  • 3 weeks later...

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting read. 

Thanks for posting this - I was thinking about the subject and the vote for president today. This is a very good article to help those of us who are pro-life to justify getting off of the GOP "we are the only pro-life' party plantation. 

This is a very good read.  Long but worth the read.   So often, pro-lifers, feel obligated that they have to vote a certain way less they betray their pro-life principles. 

I'm sure it is true also on the pro-choice side. 

He centers the discussion around the  points below and the graph that follows. 

And then he spends time discussing the results of a Norte Dame study.  Summarized under the graph. 

Quote:

I’m going to give a short answer to this question and a long answer. The short answer is no. The long answer, which is going to dive deep into the legal, political, and cultural realities of the abortion debate, isn’t likely to please any partisans. So buckle up.

Decades of data and decades of legal, political, and cultural developments have combined to teach us a few, simple realities about abortion in the United States:

1. Presidents have been irrelevant to the abortion rate;

2. Judges have been forces of stability, not change, in abortion law; 

3. State legislatures have had more influence on abortion than Congress;

4. Even if Roe is overturned, abortion will be mostly unchanged in the U.S.; and 

5. The pro-life movement has an enormous cultural advantage. 

If the points above don’t seem to make sense to you, then you’re likely unfamiliar with the way that decisive numbers of Americans think about abortion—not in crystal-clear terms of life versus choice (or “baby” versus “clump of cells”), but through much hazier and subjective reasoning. This means that absolutists are consistently frustrated with the political process. Unless Americans change, that process will not yield the results they seek. 

But while many millions of Americans are hazy about the politics and morality of abortion, it’s apparent they have a bias about the practice of abortion. In their own lives, pregnancies are both increasingly rare and increasingly precious, and thus abortion is in steady decline, no matter who sits in the Oval Office.

Before I walk through the points above, I want to share with you two key pieces of data, the first is a chart showing the American abortion rate since Roe. It’s compiled by the pro-choice Guttmacher Institute, and while the data isn’t perfect, it’s perhaps the best dataset we have:

29adc419-ba36-4c36-86ad-bb6b9119c480_110

Last month researchers at Notre Dame issued a remarkable and interesting study called “How Americans Understand Abortion.” Their study wasn’t a simple poll that asked its subjects if they were “pro-life” or “pro-choice”—or whether they supported Roe. Instead, they conducted 217 in-depth interviews of a representative sample of the American population. Interestingly, abortion was not disclosed as the topic of the interview during recruitment. 

The findings are fascinating. I could write an entire newsletter on its contents, but here are the top-line conclusions.

1. Americans don’t talk much about abortion.

2. Survey statistics oversimplify Americans’ abortion attitudes.

3. Position labels are imprecise substitutes for actual views toward abortion.

4. Abortion talk concerns as much what happens before and after as it does abortion itself.

5. Americans ponder a “good life” as much as they do “life.”

6. Abortion is not merely political to everyday Americans, but intimately personal.

7. Americans don’t “want” abortion.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

So the Supreme Court is effectively allowing Texas to ban abortions after six weeks with abortion providers only able to sue *some* state officials in court (not private citizens who may also sue them) as they only remedy.

It's the most restrictive state law in the nation, effectively an end-around to subvert Roe because many women don't even realize they're pregnant by six weeks. Since it stood I imagine other states will now follow suit.

... and no one here is discussing it?

I'm curious what many of you think about this.

• Plus1 2