Poll: Abortion legality belief spectrum

What is your belief about Abortion Law in the USA?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 4 weeks later...

Ric Flair said: 

Planned Parenthood is based on eugenics and abortion for profit. Anything that drives more pregnancies that they can then work to terminate is in their financial interest.

... Read about Margaret Sanger and her involvement in eugenics. Why do you think Planned Parenthood clinics are overwhelmingly in minority communities? Why do you think they do almost no adoption referrals?

Because 1) They make millions of dollars from abortions and 2) At their core, they want to call what they see as undesirables. The rest of us call them minorities.

So there are a lot of things to unpack here in order to be fact based in any opinion.  As an educator @Ric Flair surely you value the need for understanding bias and seeking facts from multiple sources in order to understand what points to debate and teach.

This Washington Post article does a nice job of explaining why the rights data points are all wrong, but how they get them, and also explain where the PP numbers come from and how they are skewed.  I highly recommend everyone who has a passion for this topic to read it.   https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/08/12/for-planned-parenthood-abortion-stats-3-percent-and-94-percent-are-both-misleading/?utm_term=.7ec3338bf458

PP is a non-profit.  Which explains the lack of consistent data produced for review annually.  It also debunks your "financial interest" comment.

The majority of services provided are not pregnancy ending appointments.  This graphic breaks it down well.  Keep in mind however that a patient can come in for multiple services, for instance one patient can come in for screening, birth control, counseling on adoption and/or terminating a pregnancy.  Also keep in mind PP does not report total patients annually consistently.  So the conservative advocacy groups that point to overwhelming evidence on numbers are using referrals to adoption or other numbers as their dataset.  It's not valid. Also, keep in mind that government funds make up the majority of funding for PP because they only pay for health care services other than termination of pregnancy.

So Im going to stop here, as I could type facts all day but really one has to want to know them for it to matter.  I know nobody here will change your mind on a womans' right to choose, but if you only increase your awareness of facts and untruths that you are referencing in your conversations it will be worth the discussion.  I respect your opinion and beliefs, but you lose credibility when you reference the bs you're referring to.

PP2013.jpg&w=480

Edited by NM11046

Other sources, unbiased - worth reading in full.

https://www.factcheck.org/2011/04/planned-parenthood/

Oh and forgot to acknowledge the reference you made to the PP organization trying to capitalize on putting clinics in low income, minority heavy areas.  Perhaps that is true, but when choosing a location they aren't looking at census data and income levels in order to make money of what you hint at as a population that is churning out babies and aborting them when given the chance.  It's been chosen because there's been a need determined, or an outage with affordable healthcare in the area.  Are you a believer in the fact that contraception is better than abortion?  That preventing an unwanted pregnancy is better than giving a child up for adoption?  That a pregnant mother should have consistent medical care during her pregnancy?  That men who no longer want to take pregnancy risks on have an option for sterilization?  That cancer screenings and basic healthcare appointments are deserved regardless of employment status, income, sex, insurance status etc?  That teenagers should be counseled on education of pregnancy prevention and other options for birth control?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/10/03/are-most-planned-parenthood-clinics-in-urban-areas-where-women-have-adequate-access-to-care/?utm_term=.91c2474baaf3

More specific info on determining location placement:  

Federally qualified health centers are required to serve medically underserved populations and areas with health professional shortages.

“Medically underserved” is defined as “too few primary care providers, high infant mortality, high poverty or a high elderly population.” The “health professional shortage” designation is made based on the ratio of primary care, dental or mental-health medical providers per population.

These designations can be made in both rural and urban areas. In fact, a hospital can be designated its own health professional shortage area, even if it is in an urban area. The federal government uses these designations to recruit health-care professionals and allocate money, targeting areas with documented shortages.

Planned Parenthood is not required to serve these populations — but it does in many urban and rural areas of the country. A breakdown of health center locations provided by Planned Parenthood shows 56 percent of its health centers are in rural, “medically underserved” or “health professional shortage” areas. 

And re: adoption referrals - they aren't tracked, just as referrals to sites that do mammograms or vascectomy's if the clinic doesn't aren't tallied.  

Edited by NM11046
  • Plus1 1

48 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Here's what I think: if men could get pregnant, not only would abortions be legal, they'd also be covered by health insurance, there would be an abortion clinic on almost every street corner, and there would be zero stigma to have one.

I think that's probably true.

While I'm pro life, it's pretty ridiculous that a group consisting of 80% men is making these kinds of decisions.

7 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

As of this post, 12 of you are some kind of monster....

Have you or any of your lady friends ever used any kind of birth control at all? If the answer is no, ignore this. If the answer is yes...

What if a baby was fated to be born from the sperm that was stopped by the condom? Or the pill? Or pulling out?

Things I think about even though I think there needs to be a better reason to have an abortion (e.g. rape, the mother's health).

Edited by Moiraine
7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Have you or any of your lady friends ever used any kind of birth control at all? If the answer is no, ignore this. If the answer is yes...

What if a baby was fated to be born from the sperm that was stopped by the condom? Or the pill? Or pulling out?

"Conception"

There's a substantial difference between using a condom, and killing a fetus during any trimester.

It isn't a spiritual thing ("what if that sperm was fated to be your child"), at some point it's just murder.

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
32 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

"Conception"

There's a substantial difference between using a condom, and killing a fetus during any trimester.

It isn't a spiritual thing ("what if that sperm was fated to be your child"), at some point it's just murder.

The "at some point" is the key thing here. Why should my opinion on it apply to someone else? The fetus has no chance of surviving on its own in the 1st trimester.

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The "at some point" is the key thing here. Why should my opinion on it apply to someone else? The fetus has no chance of surviving on its own in the 1st trimester.

Liberals are wild. Kill all the babies you want, but don't dare wear hoop earrings or dreadlocks, you might offend a black man.

(This isn't really directed towards you).

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Liberals are wild. Kill all the babies you want, but don't dare wear hoop earrings or dreadlocks, you might offend a black man.

Then why are you quoting me? Seems out of context and not related to my post, or to me.

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I thought Ric Flair would run away with “the most ignorant post of the day” award .  You just denied him that honor . Congrats on the big win 

• Plus1 2