RB Maurice Washington [Nebraska-Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

73 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Washington Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/07/2018 at 08:30 PM

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

That's probably the best idea for him; plus, it'd be great to have fresh legs running the ball in November. 

I think the most important thing is we have his talent on campus. Whether he helps us this year or next is fine with me. If he is ready to go and Frost thinks it is worth him playing he will. Frost's entire staff seem to be very organized and will make the best decision for Washington and the team. 

If Tre Bryant truly is healthy and ready to go and can stay healthy. I would imagine Bryant-Bell and Miles Jones could carry the load this year. Let Washington spend this year getting his body and mind right and ready to explode onto the scene next year. 

13 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Understand.

Me personally?

Id rather see him focus on his grades, the playbook and getting in great shape, “redshirt” and play the last 4 games of the year.

It sounds good. On the other hand, if he’s the best back you play him now so he can help in every game.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

It sounds good. On the other hand, if he’s the best back you play him now so he can help in every game.

Right... but how is he going to be the best back? He isn’t in the same shape other backs are. He hasn’t even touched the playbook. He was almost academically ineligible so will need to stay on that stuff.

I hope you’re right that he is a stud right away, but I just don’t see that being the case.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Right... but how is he going to be the best back? He isn’t in the same shape other backs are. He hasn’t even touched the playbook. He was almost academically ineligible so will need to stay on that stuff.

I hope you’re right that he is a stud right away, but I just don’t see that being the case.

I agree it's unlikely, but he wouldn't be the first true freshman to play a lot or start, and other than the unknowns, our running backs don't seem to be very good, or they have a knee problem. I think the reason we all know the names of so many RBs, and think we're deep, is because none of them really stand out except perhaps the newcomers. It might seem like Ameer got carries as a true freshman because we didn't have a lot of upper classmen RBs, but maybe we just didn't know their names because we had Helu and Burkhead.

13 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I agree it's unlikely, but he wouldn't be the first true freshman to play a lot or start, and other than the unknowns, our running backs don't seem to be very good, or they have a knee problem. I think the reason we all know the names of so many RBs, and think we're deep, is because none of them really stand out except perhaps the newcomers. It might seem like Ameer got carries as a true freshman because we didn't have a lot of upper classmen RBs, but maybe we just didn't know their names because we had Helu and Burkhead.

Really? I’m quite optimistic about Bell, Miles. Lukewarm on Ozigbo, and flaming hot about Bryant when he is playing. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Really? I’m quite optimistic about Bell, Miles. Lukewarm on Ozigbo, and flaming hot about Bryant when he is playing. 

Note that I mentioned the new guys a couple times. I'm not including them. But I'm not sure whether or not they're better than Washington.

Bryant obviously did well but his health is questionable.

8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Bryant obviously did well but his health is questionable.

Luckily for him, and this also goes for Washington's situation, this staff is very good at rotating. He doesn't need to carry it 40 times anymore, a half dozen or so and he can be productive. Having both available helps the other play only when most advantageous and avoid that temptation all coaches have to overuse a productive player.

On 8/3/2018 at 7:48 AM, ScottyIce said:

Understand.

Me personally?

Id rather see him focus on his grades, the playbook and getting in great shape, “redshirt” and play the last 4 games of the year.

I like the idea of easing him into the season, but if he's ready to play mentally and physically, I think it would be good to start playing him in October.  He would have 2 months to put on quality weight and be 6 weeks into his college classes.  If he struggles his first game or two, he can always be shut down until the last 2 games of the season.  The 4 games played can be any combination, and I expect the coaches to be creative when it comes to using them for freshman they want to redshirt.

Also, if Washington is as good as he is advertised, he will leaving for the NFL early anyway.  I wouldn't look where he will be 5 years down the road, if he's only going to be at NU 3 or 4 years anyway.

Frost and company will not waste any players to red-shirts if they fill they can benefit the team in year 1.  The question to look at is the expected depth at any position going to be greater in 2018 or 2021 and the answer at every position would probably be 2021 - with that said play them NOW.  

A kid that goes into the game and finds out pretty quickly that they are not ready for D1 is going to work harder in the gym then a kid that gets put on the bench and told that they aren't ready.

...and i'm not saying this specifically about MW - i don't have enough info to even guess where he will fit in this year.