Who's Worse: Riley VS Callahan

Dark Days Remembered  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thought I would engage some conversation in regards to this epic debate of these 2 heavy weight coaches. How do the numbers stack up for who is worse. Wins and losses sure, how about offensive points and efficiency as well as defense. 

Without doing any research yet I think Callahan wins offense and recruiting. Defenses maybe a tie for horrible. Wins and losses, given the 2018 schedule and knowing lee probably would have come back I think Riley's 4th year would have been more embarrassing than year 3 so I give the nod to Callahan. 

But callahan was the god father of destroying husker tradition and mike Riley carried on where Callahan left off- but at least with Riley we had ice cream. 

Edited by Mavric
Added Poll
  • Plus1 1

I don't have strong thoughts, but I guess I could throw out some opinions.

Callahan was a better recruiter, IMHO. Callahan's teams improved each of his first three years. That 2006 team had some dudes. Even though they had five losses, four of those losses were to stacked USC, Texas, Oklahoma and Auburn teams.

Riley played tougher schedules his first two years. Callahan's first two years were cakewalk schedules. Callahan and Riley both did have nasty schedules their final years, that's part of why they were fired.

Ultimately, who was worse? I don't know. I'd rather have Frost anyways. :thumbs

Similar achievement level at the same job, but that's it.

Callahan failed because he wasn't cut out for college coaching.  Riley failed because he took this job too late in his career and didn't hit the ground running with a competent staff.

I'll say Callahan just because his tenure set us back so far, Riley at least tried to push us forward.

Nobody should be pining for any of the last 4 coaches anynore, zero reason to.

But at the same time, like it or not they did give us some very memorable moments and players that can't really be overlooked.  If this discussion were in September, then I would be annoyed by it.

Edited by Redux
  • Plus1 1

10 hours ago, Vince R. said:

I don't want to speak for everyone, but I think we are all exhausted of the prior regimes, and just want to focus on dialogue that pertains to the current era. We've been dragged around long enough. I mean that with no disrespect. I just feel like we are in a much better place currently. 

Good thing there is a lot of other threads you can spend your time in then. Recruiting season is about over and nothing else to over diagnose until the spring game. So unless we are going to talk about what the staff wears to work, football topics are running short.

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Good thing there is a lot of other threads you can spend your time in then. Recruiting season is about over and nothing else to over diagnose until the spring game. So unless we are going to talk about what the staff wears to work, football topics are running short.

I understand but this is literally every thread before Frost was hired. We have been disappointed for over a decade and talked about it an nauseum. We know the last 4 coaches suck and have diagnosed every aspect of it. Let’s put it to rest. 

11 hours ago, Vince R. said:

I don't want to speak for everyone, but I think we are all exhausted of the prior regimes, and just want to focus on dialogue that pertains to the current era. We've been dragged around long enough. I mean that with no disrespect. I just feel like we are in a much better place currently. 

Yeah honestly, who cares at this point? Do we need to keep dunking our heads under water for all of eternity?

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Uh, in case this is your first time here.... Recruiting season actually never ends in college sports.