Who's Worse: Riley VS Callahan

Dark Days Remembered  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Think in terms of line play. Who’s offensive and defensive lines were better? Many of us post that a teams line play is pretty much the basis of a team’s potential. Callahan had very good offensive lines and some pretty good d-lines too. I’m not even sure that Riley was a coach. He seemed to farm out all coaching duties to his assistants and didn’t really have any ability to lead. Both were placed by inept ADs

• Plus1 3

I think offseason conversation is hard to come by so am not going to pile on over your choice of topic.  I'm half-inclined to crunch some numbers but there are some problems with that.  First, it's a lot of work.  Second, the programs were in different shape when the coaches started their periods as HC in Nebraska.  Third, the game has changed a lot in ten years and there's the little matter of a conference switch to boot (though it's fair to point out that Billy C. did get us to a CCG).

If I was to just look at the rankings of the performances their final teams put together, though, here's how they stack up nationally (after all, including bowl, games)...

OFFENSE

passing yards per game -      7 / 119 for Bill and 27 / 130 for Mike

rushing yards per game -      66 / 119 for Bill and 120 / 130 for Mike

points per game -                  28 / 119 for Bill and 84 / 130 for Mike

total yards per game -           9 / 119 for Bill and 87 / 130 for Mike

DEFENSE

passing yards per game -      84 / 119 for Bill and 60 / 130 for Mike

rushing yards per game -      116 / 119 for Bill and 115 / 130 for Mike

points per game -                  114 / 119 for Bill and 116 / 130 for Mike

total yards per game -           112 / 119 for Bill and 101 / 130 for Mike

Per this quick and dirty comparison of the coaches' final seasons, it's readily apparent that both defenses fielded were pretty sorry, in terms of their performance, with the Riley bunch getting a slight edge.  There's really no comparison offensively, outside the running game (and even then it's a clear winner, relatively speaking, for BC).

To sum this up, Bill might fairly quip that coaching at Nebraska was "too technical" for Mike Riley.

PpV0evc.png

Edited by beorach
  • Plus1 1

Clownahan inherited seven players who were selected in the first three rounds of the NFL draft.  Six of those seven players were defensive players.  What would our defense have looked like had he inherited the talent Riley inherited?  Riley inherited only two players who were selected in the first three rounds unless we're assuming we have a player(s) who will be drafted this year in the top three rounds.  Clownahan started with better talent than Riley did. 

Who had the best win?  I knew we were bad in the Clownahan era, but I didn't know it was this bad.  The only team we beat during the Clownahan era that finished the season ranked was the 2004 win over Pitt.  Pitt finished the year ranked #25.  This was Clownahan's best win while at NU.  Riley's best win was obviously the 2015 win over Michigan State who made the college playoff and finished the season ranked #6. 

Who had the worst loss?  Clownahan's worst loss came at the hands of Texas Tech in 2004 where we lost 10-70.  Texas Tech finished the season 8-4 and ranked #18.  Riley's worst loss came at the hands of Ohio State in 2016 where we lost 3-62.  Ohio State made the college playoff and finished the season ranked #6. 

In conclusion, I voted Clownahan as being worse. 

8 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Clownahan inherited seven players who were selected in the first three rounds of the NFL draft.  Six of those seven players were defensive players.  What would our defense have looked like had he inherited the talent Riley inherited?  Riley inherited only two players who were selected in the first three rounds unless we're assuming we have a player(s) who will be drafted this year in the top three rounds.  Clownahan started with better talent than Riley did. 

Who had the best win?  I knew we were bad in the Clownahan era, but I didn't know it was this bad.  The only team we beat during the Clownahan era that finished the season ranked was the 2004 win over Pitt.  Pitt finished the year ranked #25.  This was Clownahan's best win while at NU.  Riley's best win was obviously the 2015 win over Michigan State who made the college playoff and finished the season ranked #6. 

Who had the worst loss?  Clownahan's worst loss came at the hands of Texas Tech in 2004 where we lost 10-70.  Texas Tech finished the season 8-4 and ranked #18.  Riley's worst loss came at the hands of Ohio State in 2016 where we lost 3-62.  Ohio State made the college playoff and finished the season ranked #6. 

In conclusion, I voted Clownahan as being worse. 

Can we be honest now?  Reilly was out of bounds

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Word is in addition to the locker room being constantly trashed during the Riley tenure, a couple guys would punch holes in the drywall in the locker room during the Tunnel Walk.  It would be repaired during the week but happen again the next week.  No disciple seemed to be enforced to stop it.

WTF?

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Word is in addition to the locker room being constantly trashed during the Riley tenure, a couple guys would punch holes in the drywall in the locker room during the Tunnel Walk.  It would be repaired during the week but happen again the next week.  No disciple seemed to be enforced to stop it.

Moos made general comments about the way the players and staff being "unprofessional" when he observed the last few games of the Riley era.