Who's Worse: Riley VS Callahan

Dark Days Remembered  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2/16/2018 at 1:24 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

Moos made general comments about the way the players and staff being "unprofessional" when he observed the last few games of the Riley era.

He also commented about players with long hair are more about themselves and less about the team. I don't disagree with him. It will be interesting if we see a change but I don't think Frost considers it important. The destruction of property and littering is very disrespectful and should be stopped immediately.

44 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

He also commented about players with long hair are more about themselves and less about the team.

Ok. I like the guy but that's ridiculous. Do you know where I can find the quote/interview?

I'm not gonna judge him on that one thing. I'm more amused than anything else. 

Also, no, Frost isn't going to do anything about it. The best player on his previous team says hi. (I know you said he probably wouldn't. It's just, the fight against long hair was silly in the 50s and 60s. It's even sillier now.)

640px-Postgame_Celebration_AAC_Champions

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Ok. I like the guy but that's ridiculous. Do you know where I can find the quote/interview?

I'm not gonna judge him on that one thing. I'm more amused than anything else. 

Also, no, Frost isn't going to do anything about it. The best player on his previous team says hi. (I know you said he probably wouldn't. It's just, the fight against long hair was silly in the 50s and 60s. It's even sillier now.)

640px-Postgame_Celebration_AAC_Champions

I'm not sure the quote from Moos appeared in print. I believe I saw it in video when Moos was interviewed after Frost was introduced. Because of UCF players I immediately thought it could be something Frost wouldn't necessarily agree with.

Long hair doesn't always mean a player has a "look at me!" attitude. Pat Tillman's coach wanted him to cut his hair. He told the coach that if he did then the girls would be all over him. He was going for the scruffy look to go along with (probably) a "don't look at me" attitude.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:54 PM, junior4949 said:

Clownahan inherited seven players who were selected in the first three rounds of the NFL draft.  Six of those seven players were defensive players.  What would our defense have looked like had he inherited the talent Riley inherited?  Riley inherited only two players who were selected in the first three rounds unless we're assuming we have a player(s) who will be drafted this year in the top three rounds.  Clownahan started with better talent than Riley did. 

Who had the best win?  I knew we were bad in the Clownahan era, but I didn't know it was this bad.  The only team we beat during the Clownahan era that finished the season ranked was the 2004 win over Pitt.  Pitt finished the year ranked #25.  This was Clownahan's best win while at NU.  Riley's best win was obviously the 2015 win over Michigan State who made the college playoff and finished the season ranked #6. 

Who had the worst loss?  Clownahan's worst loss came at the hands of Texas Tech in 2004 where we lost 10-70.  Texas Tech finished the season 8-4 and ranked #18.  Riley's worst loss came at the hands of Ohio State in 2016 where we lost 3-62.  Ohio State made the college playoff and finished the season ranked #6. 

In conclusion, I voted Clownahan as being worse. 

Practically speaking I'd say Riley had the worst loss, it was the Minnie game. We got blown-out by a 5-7 team that couldn't even score in their next two games.  Granted TTech  and OSU won by more but getting just plain whipped by a  bad team was just plain pathetic. The only thing that made the game watchable was being able to laugh-off the ineptitude knowing Riley was driving the final nails into his coffin and we'd be moving on Frost.

Edited by Danimal
  • Plus1 4
On 2/16/2018 at 9:29 AM, Mavric said:

Word is in addition to the locker room being constantly trashed during the Riley tenure, a couple guys would punch holes in the drywall in the locker room during the Tunnel Walk.  It would be repaired during the week but happen again the next week.  No disciple seemed to be enforced to stop it.

A rudderless ship.

On 2/16/2018 at 8:29 AM, Mavric said:

Word is in addition to the locker room being constantly trashed during the Riley tenure, a couple guys would punch holes in the drywall in the locker room during the Tunnel Walk.  It would be repaired during the week but happen again the next week.  No disciple seemed to be enforced to stop it.

Sipple had a quote this morning on The Ticket basically saying that towards the end even some of the players stopped listening to him and stopped respecting him.

25 minutes ago, ADS said:

Sipple had a quote this morning on The Ticket basically saying that towards the end even some of the players stopped listening to him and stopped respecting him.

Which is sad, especially since he was the type of guy that would buy his whole team Kendrick Lamar tickets. You feel bad for the guy, he was in way over his head here and never really stood a chance. However, it’s hard to feel bad when he came out with a nice little severance package. 

• Plus1 1

To me Riley lost to teams we should have easily beaten, and lost control of the team . That’s why I’d say he’s worse . 

Callahan’s teams did get blown out too much but I felt the teams that did it were teams were better than us anyway . I think Callahan and crew were better recruiters and if he would have fired Cosgrove his stay here would have gone much better .

Edited by Big Red 40
42 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Which is sad, especially since he was the type of guy that would buy his whole team Kendrick Lamar tickets. You feel bad for the guy, he was in way over his head here and never really stood a chance. However, it’s hard to feel bad when he came out with a nice little severance package. 

And is sticking it to Nebraska by being vastly underpaid so Oregon State gets off the hook.

• Plus1 1