Who's Worse: Riley VS Callahan

Dark Days Remembered  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, Saunders said:

And is sticking it to Nebraska by being vastly underpaid so Oregon State gets off the hook.

That’s very true. Was it determined if he was doing this on purpose and, if so, couldn’t the university try and recoup some of the money owed because he’s not taking a competitive pay?

5 hours ago, KingBlank said:

Almost impossible to prove.

I think they could prove he's purposefully taking non-competitive pay but it's not worth pursuing. We'd have to lawyer-up and we end-up looking like the bad guys, a blueblood program picking on the underfunded beavers. Better to just accept the hit and move-on to better days. 

• Plus1 1

Yea, it is time to move on.  Nebraska made mistakes.  It happens.  I don't get the need for all this who was worse or who did what.  It is behind us, we have positives to concentrate on and down the road in a few years think how happy  we were to have Riley when we did, so the door opened for Frost!  

Forget the negatives, pursue the positives.

• Plus1 1
On 2/20/2018 at 7:20 AM, HuskerNBigD said:

That’s very true. Was it determined if he was doing this on purpose and, if so, couldn’t the university try and recoup some of the money owed because he’s not taking a competitive pay?

Unfortunate but not uncommon. Pelini did it, too.  You do something nice for the people willing to hire you, at the expense of the people who fired you. A dick move, but can't say I wouldn't be tempted myself. 

On 2/20/2018 at 6:00 AM, ADS said:

Sipple had a quote this morning on The Ticket basically saying that towards the end even some of the players stopped listening to him and stopped respecting him.

That's why I thought it was better for all parties to fire Riley mid-season, when the decision to fire him had clearly been made.

Nobody wants Dead Man Walking for a head coach, and letting him finish the season wasn't necessarily "nicer." 

I don't see where this is even debatable.

Riley may have been a worse coach than Callahan but hands down Callahan was worse for our football program. Pelini's few faults were that he was a dick, seemed satisfied with 9 wins of little importance, was convinced we couldn't recruit any better and built an unhealthy bunker mentality. But he was a much better coach than the other two.

Callahan destroyed our traditions and fundamentally changed Husker football. Worst by far.

Pelini was convinced the job he was doing was good enough. Bad but not in the same category.

Riley made the program soft....Downy soft. 2nd worst.

• Plus1 1

Find this perspective a bit short sided.  If Riley had been hired at the time of Callahan, you'd be saying Riley is who destroyed our traditions. That is focusing the argument essentially on timing. If we focus entirely on the field, Riley is without question the worst (as you stated).

I can't believe I'm defending Callahan but all he did was bring the system he believed in at the instruction of Pederson. You could also argue Callahan's system worked. 

Now if you want to argue who is the worse AD, timing must be apart of it and I personally would put Pederson over Eichorst.

• Plus1 5
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I'm not so sure he did.

Personally, I think Bo is mostly just enjoying some time in a low-profile job. Gotta be better for the blood pressure for a guy like that, you know?

6 minutes ago, RockyMountainOySker said:

Find this perspective a bit short sided.  If Riley had been hired at the time of Callahan, you'd be saying Riley is who destroyed our traditions. That is focusing the argument essentially on timing. If we focus entirely on the field, Riley is without question the worst (as you stated).

I can't believe I'm defending Callahan but all he did was bring the system he believed in at the instruction of Pederson. You could also argue Callahan's system worked. 

Now if you want to argue who is the worse AD, timing must be apart of it and I personally would put Pederson over Eichorst.

+1

Also: "Harry! You're alive!" ;)

• Plus1 2
36 minutes ago, Toe said:

Personally, I think Bo is mostly just enjoying some time in a low-profile job. Gotta be better for the blood pressure for a guy like that, you know?

Agree. Maybe if he'd found some random job in any other state but Ohio I might think he's purposely just ripping us off.

I also think he didn't get a big time offer that he wanted, and now he's not really doing well enough to get P5 head coaching offers.