OT Jalan Robinson [Kansas- Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

41 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Robinson Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/08/2018 at 08:06 PM

5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Every class should have 1 QB and at least one each of OL and DT.  So you take him if there is still a spot for him

Maybe they do, but the staff did land an OT in this class already. The question IMO becomes how much they like Robinson’s upside vs what types of OT targets do they feel they can get for the ‘19 class. 

• Plus1 3
17 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Maybe they do, but the staff did land an OT in this class already. The question IMO becomes how much they like Robinson’s upside vs what types of OT targets do they feel they can get for the ‘19 class. 

In my honest, untrained in recruiting opinion, OL and DT are the areas that you take as many as you can so long as it doesn't hurt another positions recruiting.  The reason for that is because it usually takes longer for players to develop and they are the most physically demanding positions.  So regardless of what 2019 has to offer, they aren't locks.  So if there is room, you take more OL and DT.  It's what the top teams do.  And so should we.

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

In my honest, untrained in recruiting opinion, OL and DT are the areas that you take as many as you can so long as it doesn't hurt another positions recruiting.  The reason for that is because it usually takes longer for players to develop and they are the most physically demanding positions.  So regardless of what 2019 has to offer, they aren't locks.  So if there is room, you take more OL and DT.  It's what the top teams do.  And so should we.

But you don't just take guys to take them.  Frost said yesterday their goal was to get the best players they could, and only get guys that they're confident can help the team.  This would probably end up being the biggest reach in the class if they took him.  Perhaps he develops into a good player, but the need isn't that high, and the risk is high.  To lock up a scholarship for 4-5 years on someone they aren't sure could ever help the team would be a mistake IMO.  I have no problem with them taking a full year to develop relationships and get a couple really good DL and OL in the next class.  This isn't a 1 year turnaround, that's why Frost got a 7 year contract.

• Plus1 3
30 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

But you don't just take guys to take them.  Frost said yesterday their goal was to get the best players they could, and only get guys that they're confident can help the team.  This would probably end up being the biggest reach in the class if they took him.  Perhaps he develops into a good player, but the need isn't that high, and the risk is high.  To lock up a scholarship for 4-5 years on someone they aren't sure could ever help the team would be a mistake IMO.  I have no problem with them taking a full year to develop relationships and get a couple really good DL and OL in the next class.  This isn't a 1 year turnaround, that's why Frost got a 7 year contract.

I think OL is one area where you can recruit on potential.  Grading high school OL can be the most difficult and the area where recruiting rankings can be way off.   When you have a big guy like this that is athletic and can move his feet, you take a serious look at him.  An OL recruit today is better than an OL recruit next year because you get that year of conditioning and development.  I think the main thing you have to look for in an OL "project" is work ethic and if they are going to put in what it takes to improve.

9 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

I think OL is one area where you can recruit on potential.  Grading high school OL can be the most difficult and the area where recruiting rankings can be way off.   When you have a big guy like this that is athletic and can move his feet, you take a serious look at him.  An OL recruit today is better than an OL recruit next year because you get that year of conditioning and development.  I think the main thing you have to look for in an OL "project" is work ethic and if they are going to put in what it takes to improve.

I agree that you have to recruit on potential and it takes time to develop good O-linemen.  I'm not saying this guy couldn't be good, he could turn out to be great.  I like how well he moves and he seems to be really aggressive.

My point is we have plenty of potential already on the roster.  We will have 16 offensive linemen on scholarship next year, 10 of which are underclassmen.  These guys were no schmucks coming out of high school.  There are players already here, and they need to be developed.  We can't overload one position at the expense of others.

I think the staff will take the spring to see what they have, set their goals for roster balancing, and then start addressing position needs in the 2019 class.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I agree that you have to recruit on potential and it takes time to develop good O-linemen.  I'm not saying this guy couldn't be good, he could turn out to be great.  I like how well he moves and he seems to be really aggressive.

My point is we have plenty of potential already on the roster.  We will have 16 offensive linemen on scholarship next year, 10 of which are underclassmen.  These guys were no schmucks coming out of high school.  There are players already here, and they need to be developed.  We can't overload one position at the expense of others.

I think the staff will take the spring to see what they have, set their goals for roster balancing, and then start addressing position needs in the 2019 class.

Based on percentages, you should have 17-19 scholarship O linemen, so we are not overloaded.  I look to the junior class as to what the recruiting class should be replacing as far as depth.  That class has 3 (Barnett, Gaylord, and Decker).  In addition, the sophomore class has 5, so you will be losing 8 in a two year period.  Thus, taking 3 this year and 4 the next two years would kind of even that out from a roster management perspective.  They could also fill any hole(s) in OL for this class with JUCO recruit(s) next year or the year after.