Lindsey and Owen Hospitalized

3 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I'm curious about a few things because I really don't know squat about training at this level.

We all know these guys have to push themselves to see results. Seems like there could be lots of possible contributing factors.

A) pre-existing poor conditioning.

B) a player knowingly going beyond their limits or accidently doing so in an effort to make an impression.

C) poor programming or an underestimation at how slowly they may need to wean these particular kids into things.

D) poor supervision or an overestimation of what they can expect from these guys already. 

I guess my gut feeling, looking in from the outside, is that it is likely due to some combination of all these factors.  And I'm very hesitant to blame the coaches or S&C staff considering their past track record, awards etc.  My questions;

1- Isn't this pretty much a line they have to flirt with to get where they're going?

2- What exactly can the staff do to 100% prevent this and still get results?

3- I realize this is not what anybody wants to happen but couldn't it be a pretty innocent occurrence in this particular case where I think we all suspect not enough work has been going on in this program for quite awhile?

^^^^^^ Nailed it!

Along with a bunch of individual factors for each athlete, some physical, some mental.  The athletes themselves can't really know when they're over the line either.  What feels like good hard conditioning one time can be enough to put you in the hospital the next.

I am thankful for my weak mental fortitude.  It has protected me from rhabdo my entire life...  :)

• Plus1 3

They dropped 8 mins off the lifting session because it was to much for some of the players.  They also brought in more trainers to help keep an eye on them and to stop them if they started showing symptoms of over doing it.  They were already taking precautions when this occurred.  

• Plus1 7
2 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I guess my gut feeling, looking in from the outside, is that it is likely due to some combination of all these factors.  And I'm very hesitant to blame the coaches or S&C staff considering their past track record, awards etc.  My questions;

1- Isn't this pretty much a line they have to flirt with to get where they're going?

2- What exactly can the staff do to 100% prevent this and still get results?

3- I realize this is not what anybody wants to happen but couldn't it be a pretty innocent occurrence in this particular case where I think we all suspect not enough work has been going on in this program for quite awhile?

Fair questions.  I'll offer my unsolicited opinion:

1- I would argue no, and my reasoning is this:  most teams that are where we want to be aren't getting players hospitalized...if that line was being hedged, I think this would be a pretty regular occurence in some of the football factory schools

2-That's a bit of an unfair question.  Like asking 'how can you guarantee that a seatbelt will absolutely save my life?'   I would say that these are kids and parents giving their absolute trust to this football program and school.  We have well paid coaches, trainers and great facilities.  The resources and expertise should be abundant to train these kids safely.

3-Whatever the reason...I think it can be perfectly reasonable to suggest:

a) this happened for a lot of reasons, and yes maybe we can all feel good about kicking Riley in the ass one more time on the way out and blame him

b) we have very responsible individuals that take this job very seriously and this is a bit of a freak occurrence

c) Frost is telling us this is serious and that he is responsible ultimately....so it's ok that the fans treat this as serious and hold Frost responsible as well.

• Plus1 1

Back in high school a couple of us got rhabdo.  Kidneys totally broke down, so we donated the damn things and just got rid of them.  Was back at practice two days later.  (totally made up old guy story, like walking 10 miles to school through 4 ft of snow....it was only six miles)

Seriously, I'd hope this is a case of a couple of guys that are both hyper-motivated to impress and perhaps a bit out of shape from the post-Iowa game layoff.  Deserves a decent amount of attention in practice for sure.

• Plus1 1

Frost seems to be pointing the finger both at the previous staff not conditioning guys well, and himself/his staff for not taking sufficient precautions to handle that.

When we got in we were a little concerned about the conditioning of the team, so they did some baseline testing, some body composition work, and actually, for how Zach would normally roll out the conditioning program, he actually backed off that quite a bit, and we still had a problem. So there was a lot of attention paid to how this would go, and as much as we tried to be attentive to how they needed to start, we still made a mistake.

• Plus1 4
40 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Ill be the first to admit im not an expert on this stuff. If i was id be making six figures. Im thinking its a combination of the previous staff not going hard enough and this staff going too hard too fast. Probably better to ease into the really tough workouts after a few weeks of training. 

And the players were probably really pushing hard because they are excited about having a real coaching staff. One guy was probably thinking of becoming a superstar, and the other was probably working his but off to earn some playing time as a senior.

4 minutes ago, Toe said:

Frost seems to be pointing the finger both at the previous staff not conditioning guys well, and himself/his staff for not taking sufficient precautions to handle that.

Frost saying, "we still made a mistake" is encouraging as he's accepting responsibility and acknowledging that a mistake was made, so it can get corrected.

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Oops. Same thing that happened at Oregon last year.

They are fine now.

1 hour ago, DaveH said:

I'm not trying to kick the guys out of town. I just hope they take this as seriously as they should. Not only is this a bad look, it could be indicative of bad programming or bad supervision

It doesn't sound like it was bad programming or bad supervision.  It seems everything was well thought out and planned and it still happened.  Completely different then the Oregon case last year where it was reported that they were doing up to an hour of continuous push-ups and up-downs.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

It doesn't sound like it was bad programming or bad supervision.  It seems everything was well thought out and planned and it still happened.  Completely different then the Oregon case last year where it was reported that they were doing up to an hour of continuous push-ups and up-downs.

Sounds easy compared to my days at Ft Benning