Lindsey and Owen Hospitalized

2 minutes ago, DaveH said:

Sure it sounds like they tried but think about it this way.

If something would have really gone bad and a player was unable to play again or his life was otherwise permanently effected, would the answer of "well, we tried" be good enough? When it comes down to it, there's really no excuse. Hopefully they learned something. 

Even the most "routine" outpatient surgery (which has a healing medical purpose) has risk, no matter how small.

Just now, ladyhawke said:

What else do you think they could've done? 

I don't have the details of the training so I can't really say what specifically I'd do differently. Nor am I really qualified to do that.

I would say that I really don't think this situation should be a variable when designing a program. The state of D1 strength and conditioning in general needs to improve such that we shouldn't be left wondering if a workout will land people in the hospital. :dunno

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, TheSker said:

I don't think he's pointing a finger at the previous staff.

Well, he said the players were under-conditioned when his staff arrived. You can say it was because of the previous staff, the players, or both. Take your pick...

1 minute ago, Toe said:

Well, he said the players were under-conditioned when his staff arrived. You can say it was because of the previous staff, the players, or both. Take your pick...

Frost did not use that to do any finger pointing though.  Frost and Duval made modifications to the conditioning program after some preliminary testing.

And while I believe the football program was ran more poorly under Riley than any coach in recent memory Frost is taking full responsibility.

• Plus1 3

22 minutes ago, DaveH said:

I don't have the details of the training so I can't really say what specifically I'd do differently. Nor am I really qualified to do that.

I would say that I really don't think this situation should be a variable when designing a program. The state of D1 strength and conditioning in general needs to improve such that we shouldn't be left wondering if a workout will land people in the hospital. :dunno

I think there are other factors in play that are unrelated to physical exertion with those being inadequate carbohydrates, electrolyte imbalances, excessive heat, drugs or alcohol, or dehydration.  The athlete needs to also be an advocate for himself, knowing his limits and also making sure the coaches know what kind of condition he is in.  This condition is more complex than just physical exertion.  There are other variables at play. 

• Plus1 3
29 minutes ago, DaveH said:

Riley had it figured out. No players overly strained on his watch ;)

• Plus1 6

Man, Nebraska could have saved $375,000 a year and just posted on Huskerboard asking for a work out program for the football team.  I didn't realize how many experts there were in running a S&C program at a Major D1 college.program.  I knew this place was full of expert level head coaches (myself included).  This truly is the best board on the Internet.

• Plus1 5

28 minutes ago, NUance said:

Betchya it was all those monkey rolls that did it.  

Did you watch that 2nd segment that popped up on your link? The narrator is going on and on about keeping the ball squeezed tight to your chest while getting up.......can a player with the ball in college hit the ground and then get back up with it? No. I'm trying to figure out what it is they're trying to teach them.