Lindsey and Owen Hospitalized

4 hours ago, dspanther05 said:

Man, Nebraska could have saved $375,000 a year and just posted on Huskerboard asking for a work out program for the football team.  I didn't realize how many experts there were in running a S&C program at a Major D1 college.program.  I knew this place was full of expert level head coaches (myself included).  This truly is the best board on the Internet.

Isn't that what this board is for? Opining on things that you are not qualified for is a past time on the internet

• Plus1 2

As pointed out by several, there are many factors that may have contributed including, but no limited to:  previous level of conditioning, current level of hydration, certain types of carb intake, protein intake (or lack of it), supplement, the degree to which the current training regimen is different from the previous one. genetic factors, attention of staff, design of workout, and one that has not been considered recent illness (e.g., influenza).  Here is a pretty good article on exercise induced rhabdomyolysis.  It is a little technical, but I think you can still learn some good info.  If you don't care about the biochemistry, skip 2.1 and 2.2.

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

But yet you can come out and definitively say that they shouldn’t have done the program? Again, you don’t have the full details to know what precautions were taken. 

I feel like you can’t say one without the other. 

I feel like if it could land people in the hospital, it's probably a bad idea.  And we pay these guys a lot of money to know this. 

Bottom line is, this was a very bad mistake and should never happen again. There is just no excuse for it. It's not as if guys get rhabdo all the time and it's a completely normal outcome of hard training

• Plus1 4
9 minutes ago, DaveH said:

I feel like if it could land people in the hospital, it's probably a bad idea.  And we pay these guys a lot of money to know this. 

Bottom line is, this was a very bad mistake and should never happen again. There is just no excuse for it. It's not as if guys get rhabdo all the time and it's a completely normal outcome of hard training

And they can land in the hospital playing the game football. Do you honestly believe they did not take precautions? I mean, seriously? Even as a high school coach our staff take precautions in the weight room, on the field, etc. I think it is safe to assume that college coaches at this level would take the same if not better precautions.

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, Decked said:

Hell we heard some of the rumors that kids could barely do anything off the floor with correct form/explosion.

If that's true, it would seem to lend credence to my theory that things actually started out OK under Philipp, back when Epley gave his remarks about the program, but Riley built a culture that permitted far too much slacking. Here's a quote from Philpp a few years ago, comparing his style to Dobbs's:

“I think our philosophies were somewhat similar but obviously some of the teaching techniques were different. They did a lot of their Olympic (weight lifting) from the hang position. We feel like it's important to be able to pull from the floor, to pick things off the ground correctly, postural-wise. It’s been a lot different for them, for sure. For the most part, I think they’re enjoying it."

13 minutes ago, DaveH said:

Lots of accidents could happen in the weight room that could send people to the hospital. Again, you don’t know what precautions were taken and the kids weren’t showing signs until a couple days later. They even mentioned they were taking precautions by backing off. What else could they do? Seriously, what else do you want them to do? 

10 minutes ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

And they can land in the hospital playing the game football. Do you honestly believe they did not take precautions? I mean, seriously? Even as a high school coach our staff take precautions in the weight room, on the field, etc. I think it is safe to assume that college coaches at this level would take the same if not better precautions.

I struggle to see how the game of football, where there are risks you can't really mitigate, is the same as training, where you certainly have control over all the variables that affect the outcome and can mitigate these risks. 

These are not the same things. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Lots of accidents could happen in the weight room that could send people to the hospital. Again, you don’t know what precautions were taken and the kids weren’t showing signs until a couple days later. They even mentioned they were taking precautions by backing off. What else could they do? Seriously, what else do you want them to do? 

Not put kids in the hospital and, instead, design a program that allows them to train productively.   I really don't think it's that big of an ask and they'd probably agree. 

• Plus1 3
Just now, DaveH said:

I struggle to see how the game of football, where there are risks to can't really mitigate, is the same as training, where you certainly have control over all the variables that affect the outcome and can mitigate these risks. 

I agree that it's a bad comparison, but the bolded isn't the case. You can never know for sure how each person is going to react to a workout. They did testing on the players before the workouts started to see how intense to make them, and Duval has implemented this several times before, presumably without this issue.

Just now, DaveH said:

I struggle to see how the game of football, where there are risks to can't really mitigate, is the same as training, where you certainly have control over all the variables that affect the outcome and can mitigate these risks. 

You do not have control over ALL variables....just not possible. I agree that this should not happen again, but to just throw stones at the staff saying they should have known this was going to happen or they should know better it just ridiculous. Things happen and sometimes you do not know they are going to happen until they happen. It is tough that two kids had their body react they did. Frost coming out saying they did evaluate the players and dialed it back a little, they had training staff in with the kids and coaches, etc should be enough for you to know they took precautions to keep the players safe. Unfortunately there was an issue. They will learn from it and move forward.

2 minutes ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

You do not have control over ALL variables....just not possible. I agree that this should not happen again, but to just throw stones at the staff saying they should have known this was going to happen or they should know better it just ridiculous. Things happen and sometimes you do not know they are going to happen until they happen. It is tough that two kids had their body react they did. Frost coming out saying they did evaluate the players and dialed it back a little, they had training staff in with the kids and coaches, etc should be enough for you to know they took precautions toThey will learn from it and move forward.

I think you have enough control to not land people in the hospital. That's all.

I'm sure they'll learn. They have to.