Lindsey and Owen Hospitalized

53 minutes ago, husker07 said:

Just thought I'd drop in and provide a little information on the type of workout they were doing. Forgive me if this is all a bit vague and jumbled, but it's been a while since I've done anything with S&C and am typing this on the quick. It's called a metabolic circuit. Google "metabolic circuit huskers" and the first result will be a pdf that explains it in pretty good depth, with a full breakdown of the lifts and work:rest ratios. It was developed and used by Nebraska in I believe the 90s, and continues to be the foundational program used by coaches belonging to the Epley/Arthur coaching tree. It is the "strength" component in a split program, which I'd wager coach Duval is using and looks essentially like this ("Heavy" and "Light" just means % of 1Rm used for weight):

Monday Light "Power" (e.g. Clean shrugs, Hang Clean; plyometrics and speed work on the field)

Tuesday Heavy "Strength" (e.g Metabolic circuit; agility on the field)

Wednesday Off

Thursday Heavy "Power"

Friday Light "Strength"

It is a KILLER workout. The intensity of the lifts combined with the W:R ratio makes you feel like you are going to die. The closest thing I could compare it to is like the feeling after running a really hard 400 or 800 when you're not properly conditioned, only worse, for about 35 minutes. If you are in less than excellent shape you will not be able to complete it. Even guys who are in "good" shape will really struggle with it because of the unique and particular stress it imposes on the body. I believe at one point they wouldn't allow athletes to do it without first being in the S&C program for two years, and even after that they had to do a month's worth of preparatory workouts which were basically metabolic circuits-lite (2x10 vs 3x10, working at lower %1RM).

With all that said it will get results. It's almost like a cheat code for really jump starting physical development. Also, while it is akin to physical and psychological torture initially, you adapt to it pretty quick. I believe coach Duval said something to the effect that guys would be in survival mode at first, then later being able to really grab the reins and push it. That's a pretty accurate description of what the athletes will experience

dang.  Maybe we should be glad that only two goes made a trip to the hospital

I think they’ll be okay. They got proper treatment for an ailment and 100 other players are okay, sounds like it’s working.  

Weight room should be where guys get broken and come out stronger. To suggest they are pushing a limit that can’t be overcome is faulty thinking. They need to be pushed, period. 

Pushing beyond limits is normal. Two guys got sick, they’ll be back. Learn, grow, break, come back. 

Destroy Rebuild.  

Edited by I am I

So 2 players went to the hospital out of what, 120+ plus?  If this had happened to 1/2 the team, then I'd be concerned.  Don't get me wrong I hope both are okay, but let's not create a mountain out of a molehill.

I tend to agree with those who are saying it was probably a combinination of poor effort from the players when the last coaching staff was here and having almost 2 months off where they probably weren't doing anything.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, MountainMan said:

Today I've learned a great many husker fans have no idea how serious rhabdo can be, will defend Frost to no end and ultimately will turn a blind eye to their own program while mocking others for the same 

That is not it at all.  Most of us are saying let's not panic and start bashing the new staff for one instance in which 2 players out of 120+ couldn't handle the new workouts.

14 minutes ago, MountainMan said:

Im not panicking. But this is something the current staff is culpable for. 

Culpable for?  You act like the staff willingly and knowingly did something wrong.  They didn't.  There was a problem, it was addressed, and well over 100 players didn't have an issue.  Further, the players in question received immediate care.  They were not ignored, their symptoms weren't minimized, and they were treated appropriately.

You know what this thread has shown me?  That there are fans out there who will turn on a Nebraska coaching staff for the most trivial of things.  It's almost as if you're looking for an excuse to not like this staff.  Well, congrats...HCSF and his staff have been on the job now for two months and you already have your "reason"...let the vitriol flow.  /sarcasm

Look, I'm not trying to be rude, but I think you're over-reacting here.  However, this being the internet, carry on.

• Plus1 5

I never have been and never will be a fan of the reasoning that because one bad thing happened, A) someone was wrong and B) something different obviously needed to be done. In fact that approach, which some are exhibiting here, severely annoys me. Like I said earlier, sometimes sh#t happens. But please keep pretending that they weren't taking the proper precautions simply because something bad happened. 

• Plus1 3