Lindsey and Owen Hospitalized

When you see CF players getting rhabdo, it makes me wonder:  Are you training football players or Navy Seals?  Where in the game of football is a constant 32 minute 100% exertion relevant?

In football you train for 40 reps of 10 seconds of 100% exertion during the season.

a 2 to 1 work rest ratio.  10 seconds on at least 20 seconds off.

In the off season you seed to stay in shape, build some aerobic foundation, build strength and flexibility.  You can work damn hard without getting rhabdo.

Where I played, offseason workouts were 3 times a week, 1 hour in the morning plus weights 4 times a week.  Conditioning was 1 hour of hell, consisting of stretching, plyo's, agility, and sprints plus whatever torture they felt like that week.  Puke cans were stationed at both ends of the building daily.  

You weight train for power. Weights were intense but not timed as much.  

No one got rhabdo.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I never have been and never will be a fan of the reasoning that because one bad thing happened, A) someone was wrong and B) something different obviously needed to be done. In fact that approach, which some are exhibiting here, severely annoys me. Like I said earlier, sometimes sh#t happens. But please keep pretending that they weren't taking the proper precautions simply because something bad happened. 

Maybe you should argue with the guy who said ‘we made a mistake’ and ‘need to be smarter going forward’. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Culpable for?  You act like the staff willingly and knowingly did something wrong.  They didn't.  There was a problem, it was addressed, and well over 100 players didn't have an issue.  Further, the players in question received immediate care.  They were not ignored, their symptoms weren't minimized, and they were treated appropriately.

You know what this thread has shown me?  That there are fans out there who will turn on a Nebraska coaching staff for the most trivial of things.  It's almost as if you're looking for an excuse to not like this staff.  Well, congrats...HCSF and his staff have been on the job now for two months and you already have your "reason"...let the vitriol flow.  /sarcasm

Look, I'm not trying to be rude, but I think you're over-reacting here.  However, this being the internet, carry on.

Wow. I've never agreed with you before...

7 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Culpable for?  You act like the staff willingly and knowingly did something wrong.  They didn't.  There was a problem, it was addressed, and well over 100 players didn't have an issue.  Further, the players in question received immediate care.  They were not ignored, their symptoms weren't minimized, and they were treated appropriately.

You know what this thread has shown me?  That there are fans out there who will turn on a Nebraska coaching staff for the most trivial of things.  It's almost as if you're looking for an excuse to not like this staff.  Well, congrats...HCSF and his staff have been on the job now for two months and you already have your "reason"...let the vitriol flow.  /sarcasm

Look, I'm not trying to be rude, but I think you're over-reacting here.  However, this being the internet, carry on.

+100000000. Took what? Two months for some too turn. We all know frost doesnt care about players and his staff worked them so hard they were trying to hurt them (sarcasm). To even hint at something like that is ridiculous. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

+100000000. Took what? Two months for some too turn. We all know frost doesnt care about players and his staff worked them so hard they were trying to hurt them (sarcasm). To even hint at something like that is ridiculous. 

Like I said before, can em and let's start over again. We need a reason to HATE FROST and we got one now.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, MountainMan said:

Today I've learned a great many husker fans have no idea how serious rhabdo can be, will defend Frost to no end and ultimately will turn a blind eye to their own program while mocking others for the same 

Or, now hear me out, a lot of people are not getting bent out of shape because:

1. The guys are fine.

2. We don’t know the circumstances behind it and jumping to conclusions that Duval is some kind of s#!tty strength coach because of it is just dumb.

3. Some blame probably needs to go on the players.  You knew this was coming, prepare yourself.

Edited by Football Guy Bob
  • Plus1 3
11 hours ago, BoSolich said:

you have 100+ kids doing high intensity workouts, it's likely somebody will get sick or injured. don't see this as an issue.

8 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

So 2 players went to the hospital out of what, 120+ plus?  If this had happened to 1/2 the team, then I'd be concerned.  Don't get me wrong I hope both are okay, but let's not create a mountain out of a molehill.

I tend to agree with those who are saying it was probably a combinination of poor effort from the players when the last coaching staff was here and having almost 2 months off where they probably weren't doing anything.

If rhabdo is unavoidable because somebody will get it, then why are there so few instances in college football? How many players total have gotten it over the last year? 5 years? I can only remember Oregon last year and Iowa a few years back. How are all those other programs avoiding rhabdo?

Let's not act like this is something normal that just happens. This is clearly a mistake by the coaching staff, as Frost has publicly stated. Whatever precautions the coaches took, they clearly weren't enough and/or the correct precautions. Fortunately, no one was permanently injured and we can hopefully learn from this moving forward.

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Maybe you should argue with the guy who said ‘we made a mistake’ and ‘need to be smarter going forward’. 

Why would I argue with the guy who said something reasonable?

I'd rather argue with those who want to pretend this is completely "unacceptable" and that it should never ever possibly happen.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Why would I argue with the guy who said something reasonable?

I'd rather argue with those who want to pretend this is completely "unacceptable" and that it should never ever possibly happen.

Mistake=something went wrong

Smarter going forward=something different, however slightly, should be done

8 hours ago, MountainMan said:

Today I've learned a great many husker fans have no idea how serious rhabdo can be, will defend Frost to no end and ultimately will turn a blind eye to their own program while mocking others for the same 

30 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Oh boy.

Oh boy is right. Thankfully we've only been subjected to this level of insight 19 times.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Mistake=something went wrong

Smarter going forward=something different, however slightly, should be done

What the f#ck are you babbling on about? I know the meaning of words.

That is no where near the same thing as saying it should never happen and acting indignant that it did and suggesting Duval doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

No one has the pitchforks out for Frost but that doesn't mean this isn't serious. We can still be excited about Frost and concerned that this happened. It shouldn't happen and it is unacceptable. Luckily Frost knows that and I have a feeling it will never happen again under his watch. Under some of yalls care we would have 2 more cases of rhabdo before the week was up, and you'd chalk it up to poor conditioning :facepalm:

• Plus1 3