Lindsey and Owen Hospitalized

Like OP said, I remember this happening about this time a year ago at Oregon, which was also with a new coaching staff. I wonder how much of it attributable to guys just not being adjusted to the type of workouts the new staff uses. Then again, for incoming freshmen it's always a new staff, so some slow ramping up is probably always due.

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I thought I had rhabdo once...turns out I was just really bored.

Did it last for an entire year?

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

I understand; I'm just searching for a causation = correlation type of scenario here. I'm honestly thinking it's a mixture of 1. the previous staff not doing a good job and B. the kids taking a full month off of training. 

Those may be valid points, along with the psychological drive to "prove yourself" to a new staff and quite possibly take the sting out of a failed season from last year.

I'm sure there were a lot of factors involved.  It will certainly serve as a reminder to all involved that Rome wasn't/can't be build in a day.

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, Football Guy Bob said:

These guys also had about a month off in between Iowa and the start of winter conditioning.  I would venture to say that a few showed up out of shape and unaware of the kind of workout they would be put through.

Depending on when winter conditioning actually started, I am counting 7 or 8 weeks off from the end of the Iowa game.  And if the stories were true about S&C being lax under the old staff, many guys were probably severely out of shape for a workout like this.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, 307husker said:

It will certainly serve as a reminder to all involved that Rome wasn't/can't be build in a day.

True!

It's almost like training is a process full of many individual sessions.  Each designed to help produce the desired adaptation.... hmm.. :)

• Plus1 4
10 minutes ago, khaake said:

It's a serious matter. If your opinion is that getting the team in shape is worth risking the lives of the players, you need to rethink your priorities.

This!

As excited as I am for Frost especially, but also for Duval as S&C, this is completely unacceptable and a black mark against both.

• Plus1 1

There also have been reports that some nutritional supplements, as well as performance-enhancing drugs such as creatine supplements and anabolic steroids, are associated with rhabdomyolysis and kidney failure.

Athletes who push their bodies beyond their physical limits are at particular at risk for developing this disorder. For instance, people who do a lot of weight lifting may develop rhabdomyolysis if they lift more than their muscles can physically handle

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, DaveH said:

You don't get rhabdo from "simple" lifting sessions.  

I'm curious about a few things because I really don't know squat about training at this level.

We all know these guys have to push themselves to see results. Seems like there could be lots of possible contributing factors.

A) pre-existing poor conditioning.

B) a player knowingly going beyond their limits or accidently doing so in an effort to make an impression.

C) poor programming or an underestimation at how slowly they may need to wean these particular kids into things.

D) poor supervision or an overestimation of what they can expect from these guys already. 

I guess my gut feeling, looking in from the outside, is that it is likely due to some combination of all these factors.  And I'm very hesitant to blame the coaches or S&C staff considering their past track record, awards etc.  My questions;

1- Isn't this pretty much a line they have to flirt with to get where they're going?

2- What exactly can the staff do to 100% prevent this and still get results?

3- I realize this is not what anybody wants to happen but couldn't it be a pretty innocent occurrence in this particular case where I think we all suspect not enough work has been going on in this program for quite awhile?

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I think literally no one thinks this.

I'm sure you're right. It just seemed there were comments that hinted it (i.e. blaming the players rather than the staff). I'm sure this was not at all an intended or expected outcome, but the staff (and the two players) dodged a real bullet here. It is nothing to mess with.