Lindsey and Owen Hospitalized

The NCAA move is simply Cover Your Ass, in my opinion. Cart making an attempt to get in front of the horses and look like they are "on top of things". Have they really improved anything and made it better by what they said and did?

This (hopefully) does not apply to the Nebraska situation, but in researching this subject I found this quote from the Mayo Clinic:

There also have been reports that some nutritional supplements, as well as performance-enhancing drugs such as creatine supplements and anabolic steroids, are associated with rhabdomyolysis and kidney failure. ... Oct 21, 2011

We all know that everybody is trying to get an edge. Duval clearly has one right now and I think we are lucky to have him. However this is his first year integrating his method into what Nebraska has done, under Boyd Epley for decades. None of this stuff is publicized. It's like a Trade Secret. If you have an edge you want to keep it. Much of this discussion has been acting as if the problem is all workout-related (intensity) or condition-related (as in poorly-conditioned players doing too much too fast). I'm suggesting that there may be a third leg to this and it could be the workout/supplements combination. If I were a reporter (or Athletic Director Bill Moos) my questions would revolve around finding any differences between the UCF (or other previous Duval "makeovers") and the one currently going on at Nebraska when it comes to what the players are ingesting. I'm guessing that people in the know are not going to want to be too forthcoming with answers, since this involves a competitive edge, but there is a big difference between answering a reporters question and one from your Athletic Director. If I were a reporter, I'd want to know if the AD has asked such questions, or if he might be trying to maintain plausible deniability by not asking the questions.

This could be even be a problem that has nothing to do with the institution, but is related to a player taking something to try to gain an edge, unbeknownst to the coaches. I'm no doctor so I don't know if it is possible, but I would think that there might need to be some scrutiny on the two Nebraska players affected and their blood work. 

Edited by cheekygeek
  • Plus1 1

19 hours ago, C N Red said:

Look what happened after Iowas rhabdo incident. Been far better than us. Fact is precautions were taken, but we were so out of shape from not being held accountable for showing up for lifting/conditioning for so long even the precauitions werent enough. I put more blame on the previous staff and players.

Didn’t Iowa have like 20 or 30 some kids that were hospitalized?

Yes its disappointing to see this affect two Nebraska student athletes, glad that they are better but it wasn’t near as bad as what happened at Iowa. 

29 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

Didn’t Iowa have like 20 or 30 some kids that were hospitalized?

Yes its disappointing to see this affect two Nebraska student athletes, glad that they are better but it wasn’t near as bad as what happened at Iowa. 

13, and what they did before getting it was squat their 50% max 100 times in a limited amount of time.

4 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

The NCAA move is simply Cover Your Ass, in my opinion. Cart making an attempt to get in front of the horses and look like they are "on top of things". Have they really improved anything and made it better by what they said and did?

This (hopefully) does not apply to the Nebraska situation, but in researching this subject I found this quote from the Mayo Clinic:

We all know that everybody is trying to get an edge. Duval clearly has one right now and I think we are lucky to have him. However this is his first year integrating his method into what Nebraska has done, under Boyd Epley for decades. None of this stuff is publicized. It's like a Trade Secret. If you have an edge you want to keep it. Much of this discussion has been acting as if the problem is all workout-related (intensity) or condition-related (as in poorly-conditioned players doing too much too fast). I'm suggesting that there may be a third leg to this and it could be the workout/supplements combination. If I were a reporter (or Athletic Director Bill Moos) my questions would revolve around finding any differences between the UCF (or other previous Duval "makeovers") and the one currently going on at Nebraska when it comes to what the players are ingesting. I'm guessing that people in the know are not going to want to be too forthcoming with answers, since this involves a competitive edge, but there is a big difference between answering a reporters question and one from your Athletic Director. If I were a reporter, I'd want to know if the AD has asked such questions, or if he might be trying to maintain plausible deniability by not asking the questions.

This could be even be a problem that has nothing to do with the institution, but is related to a player taking something to try to gain an edge, unbeknownst to the coaches. I'm no doctor so I don't know if it is possible, but I would think that there might need to be some scrutiny on the two Nebraska players affected and their blood work. 

This is a very interesting point you brought up; I’m going to use a pro hormone called “Tren” as an example.

Several years back I was talking to a college football player that had a teammate that swore he suffered a leg injury from using Tren.  It happened while he was just running.

Tren is a lean muscle builder that dries your muscles to the point where you have to drink a lot of water while using it otherwise you won’t have much lubricant in the muscle, and body.

I know a guy that had a max bench press of 450lbs., and he tore his pectoral muscle on a 200lb. warm up while using Tren.  He couldn’t lift for a long time afterwards.

My point is: If one were using something like this- it’s possible that they could end-up damaging more muscle than what’s planned, causing more significant problems.

There may be others on this board that have more knowledge/insight than I do on this topic, so feel free to chime in.

Edited by Truth in Ruin

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

13, and what they did before getting it was squat their 50% max 100 times in a limited amount of time.

Well it seems like the product on the field we’ve seen over the past 3 years has transitioned over into the weight room

On 1/31/2018 at 2:51 PM, olddominionhusker said:

This is right. As a physician, I can tell you that this is a tricky and unpredictable condition. I have seen people turn up with rhabdo many times after doing the same workout they had been doing without any issues. When the line is crossed and that cascade starts isn’t usually noticeable at the time. 

The atheletes conditioning and hydration also play a role of course. But I find it hard to believe a conditioning expert like Duval isn’t pounding the hydration thing into these guys. 

To be clear, I’m not saying I’m not concerned. But, this is something that happens from time to time in high performance training scenarios. It was identified quickly and acted on quickly by all reports I’ve seen. 

Unfortunate things can happen without someone having to always be tarred and feathered over it. 

Then why hasn’t it ever happened at Nebraska before? I Just joking just trying to add a stupid log on the fire