OT Bryce Benhart [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

80 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Benhart Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

^^^ ... some good stuff @GBRFAN.  I agree with some of those thoughts, especially out OT's looking more like big, athletic TE's.  Still, both Wisky, Iowa and :bigredn: have been and are after the same guys at OT and other positions.  Additionally, would Frost really pass on guys like Logan Brown (Wisky commit) or Devontae Dobbs (Mich St.) if they wanted :bigredn:  ... to avoid star gazing?  If an OT that was Top 10 decided he wanted to be :bigredn: would you pass on him and say he didn't or wouldn't fit the system?  I get your point ... but it's also a bit silly to debate that point for me.  There is much to rebuild here.  We all know that we are going to have to improve the OL, the DL and overall get a bit better in recruiting rankings in general.  For me, it's okay to want Benhart and have him on my "MUST" list.

• Plus1 1

40 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

^^^ ... some good stuff @GBRFAN.  I agree with some of those thoughts, especially out OT's looking more like big, athletic TE's.  Still, both Wisky, Iowa and :bigredn: have been and are after the same guys at OT and other positions.  Additionally, would Frost really pass on guys like Logan Brown (Wisky commit) or Devontae Dobbs (Mich St.) if they wanted :bigredn:  ... to avoid star gazing?  If an OT that was Top 10 decided he wanted to be :bigredn: would you pass on him and say he didn't or wouldn't fit the system?  I get your point ... but it's also a bit silly to debate that point for me.  There is much to rebuild here.  We all know that we are going to have to improve the OL, the DL and overall get a bit better in recruiting rankings in general.  For me, it's okay to want Benhart and have him on my "MUST" list.

You really like using that N don’t you.

11 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Nebraska will recruit a different type of O-line player then both Iowa and Wisky and in most cases this type of lineman typically won't rate as high as a the standard bigten lineman - think of a big athletic TE that can't catch.  That will be more what SF is looking for.  So we haven't lost ground to anyone in the West unless you are star gazing.

The top NFL prospect on Wisconsin’s OL, David Edwards, played QB in HS and came to school as a TE.

6 hours ago, badgers007 said:

The top NFL prospect on Wisconsin’s OL, David Edwards, played QB in HS and came to school as a TE.

On that note mike riley mentioned several times how they liked to recruit high school QB's and use them at different positions - can't think of one case were he actually did it.  Shows why Wisconsin has become to Nebraska as what Mich st has become to Michigan - a thorn in the side.   The Bigten expected and hoped NU would bring value to the conference in the biggest sport (football) and hopefully it is time.

56 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

On that note mike riley mentioned several times how they liked to recruit high school QB's and use them at different positions - can't think of one case were he actually did it.  Shows why Wisconsin has become to Nebraska as what Mich st has become to Michigan - a thorn in the side.   The Bigten expected and hoped NU would bring value to the conference in the biggest sport (football) and hopefully it is time.

Lamar Jackson? 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, swmohusker said:

Lamar Jackson? 

I always saw Lamar Jackson as a DB - the way i interpreted MR was that they were good at going after QB's that weren't that good and not rated highly at other positions and then were qualified to develop them at other spots.  After the fact not sure if they were capable of the development part.

by the way, not trying to argue with you - my first post just didn't explain my full thought.

6 hours ago, Treand3 said:

Honestly why I'm excited about Anderson. Plenty of room to grow.

Same, I'm all for a kid thats growing into his athleticism as he gets here compared to one that needs to lose to get it. 

However, Benhart is a stud and ready to roll. Unfortunately, probably for Wisky. 

8 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

Same, I'm all for a kid thats growing into his athleticism as he gets here compared to one that needs to lose to get it. 

However, Benhart is a stud and ready to roll. Unfortunately, probably for Wisky. 

I have not done any research. But how many OL are actually ready to roll as a true freshman? I can see a QB, RB or WR. DB perhaps. But things like LB, DL, OL I would think need some college weight training to truly be ready to play. Those are most brute force physical positions. I dont see a high school kid coming in with man strength to play P5 football. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I have not done any research. But how many OL are actually ready to roll as a true freshman? I can see a QB, RB or WR. DB perhaps. But things like LB, DL, OL I would think need some college weight training to truly be ready to play. Those are most brute force physical positions. I dont see a high school kid coming in with man strength to play P5 football. 

It's not easy to do, but Jaimes started 9 games for us last year - granite he had to given our talent/depth. He played very well for a true fresh OT 

6 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

It's not easy to do, but Jaimes started 9 games for us last year - granite he had to given our talent/depth. He played very well for a true fresh OT 

Maybe ready to roll for Nebraska. Not for wisconsin. Guessing he is sitting for a few years till he is physically ready to represent what wisconsin expects.

44 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I wouldn't necessarily use an O lineman on a 4 win team as an example of how freshmen can play on the O line.

If you ave freshmen playing on the O line, they better be absolute freaks or you got major issues.

I think we know what side of that Nebraska fell on last year.

• Plus1 1