S&P reached a record high in January

21 minutes ago, Vegas said:

Oh I have a very good recollection on it because I actively trade. The market skyrocketed after the 2016 elections and dropped off right after the 2018 midterms. Prove me wrong.

Just because something happens around a certain event, doesn’t mean it was caused by that event. 

The drop was was not caused by the election. 

And, you act like the market has been going up steady ever since 2016. It hasn’t. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well....one nice thing about the economy is that it’s very unforgiving. We get the pleasure of experiencing what is going to happen. 

I see major issues in our economy through my work. I expect those to start showing up more and more as we go through the next year. 

I never have refuted cited that unemployment is low. Problem is, this is not a leading indicator of the economy. It’s a lagging indicator. 

No I totally agree, the stock market is not a good indicator of economic growth on it's own. America measures it soley on GDP.

9 hours ago, Vegas said:

Funny how you say that but don't point out where I was factually wrong. FAIL

If you even knew what you were talking about it would be pretty obvious to you.

1. This latest market decline began in early October
  2. We also saw a pretty big fall earlier this year. It's been somewhat volatile all year despite a positive trend
  3. Almost everyone who is looking at the whole picture has been saying wait and see what happens after Q3 2018. We knew that we were going to see some "artificial" growth due to the new tariffs. It's only logical that companies will be in a buying mood to get raw materials as cheap as they can before the tariffs kick in.
  4. Literally everyone has been saying we were long over due for a market correction (we'll see if that's truly what this is...)
  5. I'm confused, I thought this was all Trump's economy? Surely a Congress who hasn't even been in session could not have impacted the market before they were even elected, could they? Makes me wonder who was responsible for the 2016 and 2017 growth then..

• Plus1 1

You would have to be trying to not make money in the market right now to actually not make money.

Also, I have never seen housing prices so bonkers high but I don't know what it was like before the housing bubble burst and where home prices were since at that time I was still young and had real hopes and dreams and was enjoying things like Tinder.

On 11/22/2018 at 9:27 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Just because something happens around a certain event, doesn’t mean it was caused by that event. 

The drop was was not caused by the election. 

And, you act like the market has been going up steady ever since 2016. It hasn’t. 

And you act like it has been going steadily down since February. It hasn’t. 

Edit: removing more pointed comments. Out of line.

This thread just shows how split this country is. The market is not as simple as who is in office. People dug in on both sides and making horrible arguments on both sides. 

1 hour ago, HuskerNBigD said:

This thread just shows how split this country is. The market is not as simple as who is in office. People dug in on both sides and making horrible arguments on both sides. 

One problem with this argument. One side has a president who claimed the stock market got to a record high solely due to him.

1 hour ago, HuskerNBigD said:

You’re right. I’m not the one in this thread who has said the rscent drop is because of an election. 

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

One problem with this argument. One side has a president who claimed the stock market got to a record high solely due to him.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You’re right. I’m not the one in this thread who has said the rscent drop is because of an election. 

Agreed. I think absolutes are a terrible argument.

Do I think some of the 2016-2017 spike was due to trump winning the election? Or his tax bill? Yes. But I also think the recent decline has something to do with his antics and less to do with deteriorating fundamentals, which id argee are still quite strong. 

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Would like to hear the spin about how the corporate tax cuts are a great thing....

I don't think the article mentions this, but those salaried position cuts are an attempt to get rid of the remaining pensioners at GM. They were offered a buyout, but most probably refused. Most of the younger crowd should be safe. 

A lot of the OEMs are bloated from a management standpoint, but could definitely use lower level white collar workers like designers and  engineers.