S&P reached a record high in January

45 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Goes back to what the Oracle of Omaha has always argued..... Congressional members should have term limits.

I may be ok with Congress having term limits. The Senate should not in my opinion. One of the legislative branches needs old guards who have deep knowledge and experience in the government. It's equally as dangerous to lose that knowledge and wisdom as it is to have it corrupted by money.

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

I may be ok with Congress having term limits. The Senate should not in my opinion. One of the legislative branches needs old guards who have deep knowledge and experience in the government. It's equally as dangerous to lose that knowledge and wisdom as it is to have it corrupted by money.

Unless, of course, those old guards haven't contributed and the deep knowledge only amounts to them figuring out a way to line their own pockets. If anything, the house would be where a non-term limit would make a bit more sense, given that there are far more of them than senators. If you don't limit the senate terms, you could theoretically have two individuals from the same state control those positions for decades.

Just playing devil's advocate.

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

What do the deep knowledge and experience in the government benefit us exactly?

28 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I think we need people well versed in procedures and writing policy. But I also feel like having a LONG term limit rather than none would be a good change. It could be limited to 3 terms of 6 years each. That's plenty of time to become a veteran and then pass the torch.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I think we need people well versed in procedures and writing policy. But I also feel like having a LONG term limit rather than none would be a good change. It could be limited to 3 terms of 6 years each. That's plenty of time to become a veteran and then pass the torch.

Yeah idk what benefit 30 years has over 20 other than more time for that person to become cynical and more out of touch with the people they're representing.

2 hours ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Unless, of course, those old guards haven't contributed and the deep knowledge only amounts to them figuring out a way to line their own pockets. If anything, the house would be where a non-term limit would make a bit more sense, given that there are far more of them than senators. If you don't limit the senate terms, you could theoretically have two individuals from the same state control those positions for decades.

Just playing devil's advocate.

I used to be super in favor of term limits as well. On the face it seems like a great idea given how much money runs things now and how little accountability we see out of our politicians anymore. Most of them know where their bread is buttered and act accordingly.

But then somebody pointed out to me that term limits shifts power pretty decidedly in favor of those who can stay in Washington indefinitely: lobbyists. If we send a bunch of fresh, inexperienced faces to DC frequently, experienced lobbyists can exploit them to further their own agendas and take even more power for themselves. 

Not that we shouldn't consider term limits, but we've got to take the unintended consequences into account as well.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Landlord said:

In theory; well thought out legislation, understanding of the procedural process, the wisdom of time. Why did we value someone like John McCain or Ted Kennedy even when we disagreed with them?

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

In theory; well thought out legislation, understanding of the procedural process, the wisdom of time. Why did we value someone like John McCain or Ted Kennedy even when we disagreed with them?

merry christmas...trumps economy sets another record

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sp-500-is-on-the-verge-of-tumbling-by-the-most-it-has-ever-fallen-on-christmas-eve-2018-12-24

For the Dow, it would be the first time it has fallen by more than 1% in about 100 years and the steepest drop on Christmas eve in the 122-year-old blue-chip gauge’s history : Check out the table below from Dow Jones Market Data: