S&P reached a record high in January

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Also why does Trump get to take all of the credit for this? Is he the one making the stock market go up? How much effect does the president really have in one year on the market? 

Looks like Trump isn't really that different from Obama or other presidents:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2018/jan/08/how-trump-obama-compare-stock-market/

It’s also worth noting that Trump is not alone among presidents in presiding over a bull market.

Most recent presidents have seen significant stock market increases over their terms. Presidents Obama, Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan, for instance, all oversaw three-digit percentage increases over their eight year terms.

• Plus1 1

A person can't deny the current success of the market.  People can discuss who deserves credit.

But the conversation that doesn't seem to happen, assuming it's the Republican ideology driving this, is that it could have also occurred under Kasich, Rubio, Bush, or a list of about 15 other candidates that would have been happy to sign the tax bill.  

The problem people have with Trump isn't necessarily that he is a Republican.  The problem is that he is a bull in china shop, really bad at assigning people to positions, and just really bad at being a manager; something he was elected to do.  Not to mention all the stupid tweets and making the rest of the world lose a ton of respect for our nation.  

If your proud of the republican success, I disagree with a lot of it, but I can understand that thought process.  If you're proud of "Trump", well, I don't know what to say....people are gonna be people.

• Plus1 8
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Looks like Trump isn't really that different from Obama or other presidents:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2018/jan/08/how-trump-obama-compare-stock-market/

Ok so my question is how much influence does the president have over that happening? Obviously more can be done in 8 year period to make an impact, but it seems to me many other factors are involved and while a president may use that to their advantage (look what I did for the economy) they weren't the driving force. I'd say that is especially true in the case of Trump.

17 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Yeah, that 8 year bull run under Obama was nothing compared to the ninth year under Trump!

Do you think Trump will take the blame when the market has a downturn?

The fact that the market has continued to have the run it's had is what is impressive and I think Trump gets some of the credit for that.  We are well overdue for a correction in the market cycle.  This is the second longest bull market we've ever seen.  

When the market takes a downturn, it's not likely going to have anything to do with Trump.

2 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

The fact that the market has continued to have the run it's had is what is impressive and I think Trump gets some of the credit for that.  We are well overdue for a correction in the market cycle.  This is the second longest bull market we've ever seen.  

When the market takes a downturn, it's not likely going to have anything to do with Trump.

Why does Trump get some credit for the continued bull market but not any blame for a downturn? He should either get both or neither.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Why does Trump get some credit for the continued bull market but not any blame for a downturn? He should either get both or neither.

Historically speaking, what has caused the downturns in the past, are economic factors that are out of the president's control.  For example, the tech bubble in the late 90's and the housing/financial crisis in 2008.  It's possible that Trump will be to blame, but unlikely.

6 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Historically speaking, what has caused the downturns in the past, are economic factors that are out of the president's control.  For example, the tech bubble in the late 90's and the housing/financial crisis in 2008.  It's possible that Trump will be to blame, but unlikely.

But then wouldn't the "tech bubble growing" get credit for the market growth before it popped?  Or banks and housing markets causing growth in 2009?  

How much credit should Clinton or Bush get for the growth if we we're not going to give them credit for the decline? 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

But my point is if that's true, then isn't it true that the same economic factors that lead to bull markets are also out of the president's control?

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I can’t argue that! You seem very reasonable to me! I do think the removal of some onerous regulations, as well as the Tax overhaul have helped. I suspect interest rates will put a decent damper on it.