The Nunes Memo has been released

21 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

If posters haven't read this, they should. Points out that the Nunes memo has publicly verifiable inaccuracies in it that call into question the reliability of the entire thing.

Which, coincidentally, is what the FBI said yesterday. 

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Wat? None of that has anything to do with my post that you quoted, which is that there's still 2 guilty pleas and 2 grand jury indictments that hold up regardless of the dossier.

If posters haven't read this, they should. Points out that the Nunes memo has publicly verifiable inaccuracies in it that call into question the reliability of the entire thing.

I meant to quote the post you were quoting! Sorry!

Top Fox News website top stories:

'PHASE 1' COMPLETE

Nunes speaks out on FISA memo fallout, moving on to 'Phase 2' of investigation

• House memo states disputed dossier was key to FBI’s FISA warrant to surveil members of Team Trump
  • READ THE MEMO: House Intelligence Committee report on FISA abuses
  • Fitton: FISA memo Is 'devastating blow' to Mueller's Russia investigation
  • Alan Dershowitz: The Nunes FISA memo deserves more investigation. Time for a nonpartisan commission
  • Mainstream media reacts angrily to memo, while playing down its contents
  • Here's what the controversial House Intel surveillance memo says
  • Who is Christopher Steele? What to know about the ex-spy and the Trump dossier
  • Russian lawyer at center of Trump Tower meeting dismisses dossier shared with FBI
Edited by Moiraine

20 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Honest question: has the dossier been "debunked"?  I know there are a lot of interesting things in there that have not been corroborated, like the Russian prostitute stories.  But what about the boring financial stuff?  The stuff that actually matters.

It's hard to disprove a wealth of information like that, even if it's also difficult to verify it. But several parts of the dossier have been shown to be true, which damages the argument that the whole thing is a biased, partisan nothingburger.

Here is a good summary of what has & hasn't been shown to be true. Bear in mind, though, that they are likely still researching a lot of the things at the bottom of that list.

I've also seen a couple GOP intellectuals arguing online that it was wrong for Page to have been surveiled on the basis of the dossier because it was information funded by Democrats. That argument doesn't really hold up either - the Washington Free Beacon, hardly a liberal publication, was the first place to fund it. And the FBI trusted Steele enough to nearly pay him continue to work his sources for stuff they could ALSO try to verify independently. It's not as if they took everything they received from Steele as gospel. But it would be foolhardy to ignore it.

• Plus1 4
44 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Honest question: has the dossier been "debunked"?  I know there are a lot of interesting things in there that have not been corroborated, like the Russian prostitute stories.  But what about the boring financial stuff?  The stuff that actually matters.

No, it hasn't been debunked in any part that I've seen.