The Nunes Memo has been released

22 hours ago, 45timesbetterthanemptysuit said:

Too bad the FBI wasn’t confident enough to disclose the source and who was paying them when they applied.

You have to know this isn't how this works. People that work in intelligence don't just go throwing around sources for no reason. They're protected & sheltered for a reason. 

This is what can happen when you get careless (or act with malevolent intent) with sources. Thanks to one guy we lost a huge chunk of intel capabilities inside the borders of one of our fiercest geopolitical rivals.

Why does Carter Page, under surveillance since 2013 for dealings with Russian intel agency SVR, have any more reason to not be outed any more important than Chris Steele?

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I like to think Trump wakes up every day wondering "How can I make Paul Ryan look more pathetic and spineless than he did yesterday?"

21 hours ago, knapplc said:

People who were opposed to Trump can't be trusted sources because they didn't support Trump.

The funny thing is that would preclude us from listening to anything Paul Ryan says. There is no way in God's green earth Paul Ryan wanted Trump to win in 2016.

Paul Ryan after his No 2 says he thinks Putin pays Trump: “No leaks. . . . This is how we know we’re a real family here.”

• Plus1 4

This statement doesn't mean what they're saying it means: The surveillance would not have happened without the dossier.

It doesn't mean the dossier was the only thing they used to get the warrant. It means it was important.

It's like saying the offense wouldn't have scored without having their starting QB healthy. Ya, that's probably true, but the QB couldn't have played the game by himself. There may also have been many other pieces of evidence that, if not there, they would not have gotten the warrant.

Edited by Moiraine

So, even if the Steele Dossier was used as a (partial) basis for the investigation, it's not unusual, and it's similar to how the Clinton Foundation investigation began.

I should edit the OP to include a poll that asks, scale of 1-10, how badly Nunes/Trump screwed the pooch here.

• Plus1 1

I'm kinda tempted to donate to to whichever opponent wins the primary. Nunes has been pissing me off for over a year now. I'm just gonna paste the entire wikipedia page in a blob because I'm lazy. I knew about most of the stuff already but you get numb to this stuff after awhile and then forget all of it.

One of his opponents raised lots of $ after the memo was released.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/03/politics/democratic-california-house-candidates-nunes-memo/index.html

In February 2017, Nunes, who served on the Trump transition team, was the first leading House Republican to deny that the intelligence community had evidence of contact between the Trump campaign and Russian operatives.[56] He has rejected repeated calls for an investigation by a select committee,[57][58] saying that the House will not engage in a "witch hunt" and that "at this point, there's nothing there".[58] Nunes also rejected calls that he request President Trump's tax returns.[56] At the request of a White House communications aide, Nunes spoke to a Wall Street Journal reporter to challenge a story about the Trump campaign's connections to Russia.[59]

When Trump's national security adviser Michael T. Flynn resigned after it was revealed that he had misled the Trump administration about his communication with Russian officials, Nunes said he would not seek to investigate Flynn's ties to Russia.[60] Nunes said, "From everything that I can see, his conversations with the Russian ambassador—he was doing this country a favor, and he should be thanked for it."[60]

On March 22, 2017, during the House Intelligence Committee's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 United States elections, Nunes held a press conference to announce that he had received information that communications of members of Trump's transition team had been "incidentally collected" by the intelligence community. The communications had been obtained legally during foreign intelligence surveillance, but were not related to Russia. He added that the information was "widely disseminated" in the intelligence community, and later clarified that Trump associates were not necessarily participants in the intercepted conversations.[61] Nunes was widely criticized for sharing this information with the media and the president before briefing his colleagues on the committee.[62]

According to Nunes, the intercepted communications came in November, December and January – after Trump won the election but before he was sworn in as president.[63] Adam Schiff, the ranking Democrat on the committee, and House Democratic leadership called on Nunes to recuse himself from the investigation.[6] He also received criticism from Republican Senators John McCain and Lindsey Graham.[64] The latter compared Nunes's actions to those of the comically incompetent fictional character Inspector Clouseau.[65]

In late March 2017, Nunes canceled a public hearing in which former acting Attorney General Sally Yates, former National Security Agency Director James Clapper, and former CIA Director John Brennan were to testify,[66] saying that he wanted to hear FBI Director James Comey and National Security Agency Director Mike Rogers in a classified setting first. Democrats criticized Nunes's decision and said that he was trying to protect the White House from damaging revelations.[67][68]

On April 6, 2017, Nunes temporarily stepped aside from leading the Russia investigation while the Office of Congressional Ethics investigated whether he "made unauthorized disclosures of classified information, in violation of House Rules, law, regulations, or other standards of conduct" [69] in his March press conference.[5] He called the charges "entirely false and politically motivated".[6] On April 12, 2017, sources from both the Republican and Democratic parties said that the original documents Nunes cited do not support his claims that the Obama administration acted illegally or unusually.[70]

In May 2017, Nunes unilaterally issued three subpoenas seeking documents about former Obama administration officials who requested unmasking of Trump aides, which angered Democrats.[71]

According to Politico, in July 2017 an aide to Nunes secretly sent a pair of Republican staffers to London to contact Christopher Steele.[72][73] The Los Angeles Times Editorial Board has said that Nunes's involvement in the investigation is "threatening the credibility of the probe." [74]

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2

friends, @underthemoraine appears to be a real guy in Michigan,

I did not have sexual relations with that man.

And besides his name is spelled wrong. I believe there is a lake named Moraine. Whereas "Moiraine" is the best fictional character ever created.

Edited by Moiraine

That Comey sent the letter about Clinton, but did not release any information about the ongoing Trump investigation, will go down in history as the biggest question of the 2016 election.

And still, Trump praises Putin.  And still, Trump refuses to even entertain the idea of an investigation into Russian meddling into America's elections.

We have an election this year.  If this was happening on Obama's watch, you'd have Tea Party marches on Washington every week. Fox News would have completely melted down over this.  But all the MAGAheads are sitting on their hands, glum, while Russia plots. 

• Plus1 2