Frost’s QB Room

On 4/10/2018 at 4:48 PM, BlitzFirst said:

POB's arm looks amazing.  Martinez will redshirt - the other guys look good enough to serve as backup.  Let martinez get his arm 100% this year and challenge POB next year.

Odd because he ran it in high school and Gebbia didn't.

Well this didn't age well at all from a mere two days ago.

• Plus1 6

12 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Well this didn't age well at all from a mere two days ago.

I am a little surprised that POB's arm didn't get him higher in the depth chart.  Accurate passing is a big need for this offense.  I almost wonder if there wasn't more to it than his athleticism.  Now that I think about it, throwing on the run is probably more important than dropping back and throwing from the pocket.  POB probably looked good at the latter but may have struggled with some of the RPOs.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

This tweet and ensuing narrative from Dan irritated me. A lot of quarterbacks do 'almost nothing' because they get beat out and transfer. It's the only position group on the field where you typically will not rotate with a starter. A lot of those dudes simply weren't as good as TM or TA and I don't think our situation is too vastly different than a lot of other power five schools.

Now, the overall talent and performance level of the quarterbacks has certainly been inconsistent around here for some time, but I think it's common for the majority of QB recruits to not really pan out just based on the nature of the position. Hell, we can reasonably assume (barring injury) one of the quarterbacks on this roster will see the vast majority of snaps over the next year or two. The others may never play, may be limited backups or may transfer. It just sort of is what it is.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Where were they getting it before I responded to it?   They said my post about his arm didn't age well.  I responded.  Reading is hard I guess.

Martinez will redshirt - the other guys look good enough to serve as backup.  Let martinez get his arm 100% this year and challenge POB next year.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

This tweet and ensuing narrative from Dan irritated me. A lot of quarterbacks do 'almost nothing' because they get beat out and transfer. It's the only position group on the field where you typically will not rotate with a starter. A lot of those dudes simply weren't as good as TM or TA and I don't think our situation is too vastly different than a lot of other power five schools.

Now, the overall talent and performance level of the quarterbacks has certainly been inconsistent around here for some time, but I think it's common for the majority of QB recruits to not really pan out just based on the nature of the position. Hell, we can reasonably assume (barring injury) one of the quarterbacks on this roster will see the vast majority of snaps over the next year or two. The others may never play, may be limited backups or may transfer. It just sort of is what it is.

Even so, only having 1 out of 9 QB recruits pan out over an 8 year period is pretty bad. None of those guys that transferred ever did well that I can remember, so it's not like they just got beat out but went on to have success at another school.

43 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Read the rest of your post

On 4/10/2018 at 5:48 PM, BlitzFirst said:

POB's arm looks amazing.  Martinez will redshirt - the other guys look good enough to serve as backup.  Let martinez get his arm 100% this year and challenge POB next year.

Does kind of imply that POB would be the starter.

38 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Even so, only having 1 out of 9 QB recruits pan out over an 8 year period is pretty bad. None of those guys that transferred ever did well that I can remember, so it's not like they just got beat out but went on to have success at another school.

The tweet as presented lacks context. TA/TM combined to start 7 years. Put that in the tweet and it elicits a different response.

3 minutes ago, tattooedhusker said:

If they are as dead set in their prognostications, yes

Yup. There's a difference between saying "I think Bill is going to be the starter" and saying something like "Bill is going to be the starter. His arm is an amazing arm. Those others will be back-ups. Why does everyone hate Bill and want him to fail? Well I was wrong about Bill being the starter but he still is the best football thrower in the history of football so I wasn't really wrong about anything and never will be."

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 6
18 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Does this imply that we can go back and serve crow to anyone who is wrong about a starter this coming season? 

I wouldn't take any of these early predictions serious enough to be worthy of "serving crow" to the predictor no matter how adamant he is.  I think JJ's comment was more for humor sake.  I too thought it was funny in an ironic way that 2 days after someone predicted a certain QB would start, he was off the team.  Also if I made a post that strongly suggested I think Bunch is going to be the starter and it doesn't happen, I would simply acknowledge that I was wrong.

• Plus1 1