Frost’s QB Room

2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Yeah, I heard that segment. Man, DB uses way more time then needed to get his point across. He tends to lull me to sleep sometimes when he goes on like he did there

It sure sounded like DB thought Gebbia would be the guy, and that seems to be the growing thought among those in the know, that have chosen to speak about it. 

Yeah, that's sort of what I picked up on from him, as well. The more I over-analyze and read into the things observers are saying, the more I think they like Gebbia because of his ball security and 'quick blinkers.' I don't think they necessarily feel like they need Martinez' flash right now because of their other offensive weapons, at least when it comes to taking the flash with some of the bad.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Yeah, that's sort of what I picked up on from him, as well. The more I over-analyze and read into the things observers are saying, the more I think they like Gebbia because of his ball security and 'quick blinkers.' I don't think they necessarily feel like they need Martinez' flash right now because of their other offensive weapons, at least when it comes to taking the flash with some of the bad.

I could see Gebbia becoming a really, really good QB in this system. There seems to be a consistent opinion out there that Martinez will eventually be the guy, even if Gebbia is too start.... I just don't see it that way. From what we know of Gebbia, I expect him to keep that job as long as he's at Nebraska (the possibility of injury withstanding).

5 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I could see Gebbia becoming a really, really good QB in this system. There seems to be a consistent opinion out there that Martinez will eventually be the guy, even if Gebbia is too start.... I just don't see it that way. From what we know of Gebbia, I expect him to keep that job as long as he's at Nebraska (the possibility of injury withstanding).

If Gebbia is a Joe Ganz with quick feet, we'll have a special offense. We potentially have more weapons on offense than we did in 2008. However, I think AM is the guy. I believe he has to take the job away from Gebbia and earn it outright. As of this moment, I'm not so sure he has done that.

I wouldn't be surprised if TG starts against Akron but even so, this fanbase (some) will not accept that kind of decision. We have to remember, we have no QB with real game experience. I don't think you can truly make a 100% conscious decision based on practices alone when you're put in that spot.

This is not the old Nebraska offense. A pass first QB who can think on the fly and distribute the pigskin to everyone in his arsenal is what they're looking for. A dual threat is an added bonus. This QB battle may be fully determined in an actual game, IMO. Whoever coach Frost decides on, the fan base has to rally behind him and his starter.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, FTW said:

This is not the old Nebraska offense. A pass first QB who can think on the fly and distribute the pigskin to everyone in his arsenal is what they're looking for. A dual threat is an added bonus. 

There is no doubt the passing game makes this thing go. Milton made huge gains there in year 2 and that was the catalyst for the entire offense to do the same. However, they are recruiting dual threat guys for a reason, and this staff believes if a QB is a good enough athlete then they can teach the other skills. That doesn't describe the dual threat as an added bonus, but a chief requirement.

I don't think that requirement has ever seriously been in question, but rather if all QBs possess it. I also believe a gameday atmosphere, with live tackling, would showcase that.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, brophog said:

There is no doubt the passing game makes this thing go. Milton made huge gains there in year 2 and that was the catalyst for the entire offense to do the same. However, they are recruiting dual threat guys for a reason, and this staff believes if a QB is a good enough athlete then they can teach the other skills. That doesn't describe the dual threat as an added bonus, but a chief requirement.

I don't think that requirement has ever seriously been in question, but rather if all QBs possess it. I also believe a gameday atmosphere, with live tackling, would showcase that.

I'm excited for the season to start. I'm no insider but, I do believe that having a guy who has an uncanny ability to make plays with his feet will give opposing DC's nightmares. Based on what I've seen and heard it sounds like AM's running ability is quite a bit ahead of Gebbia. We just haven't heard if AM is up to speed in the passing game.

Personally, I'm glad we have a QB problem. Been a while since we had really good QB competition on our roster. I'm glad Frost is the guy who ultimately decides this. Bottom line, TG or AM, I don't think will make it through the season without harm. The backup is bound to get playing time this year and has to be ready to be called upon.

Hey, Tom went through something similar. I'm surprised no reporters have asked SF if he's learning on Osborne for input on having two good QB's on his team.

• Plus1 1