Frost’s QB Room

11 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

There seems to be a consistent opinion out there that Martinez will eventually be the guy, even if Gebbia is too start.... I just don't see it that way.

I'm 100% with you there. If I had to bet money, I'd say the guy who takes the job hangs onto the job all season and beyond, barring injury. I just think Frost will be immensely patient, owing to his experience as a QB, and that the starter will benefit greatly from real game experience.

6 hours ago, FTW said:

Whoever coach Frost decides on, the fan base has to rally behind him and his starter.

Fortunately, I think most fans will.

The fans whom attach themselves to specific players, and act disappointed if that player doesn't win a job, are typically a loud minority.

14 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'm 100% with you there. If I had to bet money, I'd say the guy who takes the job hangs onto the job all season and beyond, barring injury. I just think Frost will be immensely patient, owing to his experience as a QB, and that the starter will benefit greatly from real game experience.

+1

The funny part of all of this is that SF may have selected his QB months ago and is just using the competition to improve his selection.  I firmly believe in our coaching staff's ability to win with either option so I haven't lost any sleep over the decision.  My hunch is AM is the guy and SF has been using the others to push his development.  Pretty hard to bench a guy with Martinez's raw abilities.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, brophog said:

There is no doubt the passing game makes this thing go. Milton made huge gains there in year 2 and that was the catalyst for the entire offense to do the same. However, they are recruiting dual threat guys for a reason, and this staff believes if a QB is a good enough athlete then they can teach the other skills. That doesn't describe the dual threat as an added bonus, but a chief requirement.

I don't think that requirement has ever seriously been in question, but rather if all QBs possess it. I also believe a gameday atmosphere, with live tackling, would showcase that.

And UCF loses to Auburn if not for Milton's running ability. Speed covers up a lot of deficiencies.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

And UCF loses to Auburn if not for Milton's running ability. Speed covers up a lot of deficiencies.

Sam McKewon keeps coming back to that regarding Martinez.  I know Frost has a lot of confidence in his offensive system, but at some point, NU is going to need a guy who can burn good defenses (Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, etc.) with the running ability.  Gebbia will do good enough to get a few yards here and there running the ball, but he's not the running threat to scare defenses like Martinez is.  If Martinez can get close to what Gebbia can do in terms of passing and command of the offense, I think Martinez will win the job.

25 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I'd say that's cherry picking for sure. That one little tidbit (that may or may not even be true) doesn't mean that Frost & Verduzco are prioritizing running ability over decision making and passing accuracy. I feel very sure of that.

Milton was not that fast and was not a really dynamic runner. If memory serves, the only QB last year with a higher passer rating was the #1 pick in the NFL draft.

His legs were not what made UCF's offense so deadly. It was his arm.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Fortunately, I think most fans will.

The fans whom attach themselves to specific players, and act disappointed if that player doesn't win a job, are typically a loud minority.

A handful of them can be found on HB, lol to tell you the truth.

Just now, Hilltop said:

Milton - 4.43 40 time  (ESPN)

TG - 4.59 

AM- 4.79

Martinez tripped during his 40 time FWIW.