Frost’s QB Room

I haven't been reading the board for a while. It sounds like Martinez has a good chance to start and get acclimated during this season's killer schedule and most likely he'll be backed by Gebbia , then Bunch. Does that sound right? Or maybe they fight it out in fall practice and Gebbia gets the start? What should I tell people to sound really smart?

48 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Also, if he can prove he can hit deep passes early in the year, defenses will have to respect that aspect as well. 

The QB in this offense has to be accurate downfield for the big play potential to really excel, but it doesn't matter if the defense "respects" it because it's so hard for the defense to be correct. Whether or not they want to come up is pretty irrelevant because it's a Catch-22. We didn't see this offense in top gear in the Peach Bowl but we saw how many answers it has against a quality opposing defensive coordinator.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, brophog said:

The QB in this offense has to be accurate downfield for the big play potential to really excel, but it doesn't matter if the defense "respects" it because it's so hard for the defense to be correct. Whether or not they want to come up is pretty irrelevant because it's a Catch-22. We didn't see this offense in top gear in the Peach Bowl but we saw how many answers it has against a quality opposing defensive coordinator.

and that was more due to Milton's obvious jitters than Auburn's defense.

48 minutes ago, brophog said:

Adrian Martinez has not proven thus far that he can hit that deep pass with accuracy at the college level. Of course, it was one spring game but that is all we have. So I assume if he starts defenses will pay less attention to it and make him hit guys deep and play closer to the line of scrimmage. So I was implying that if he hits deep passes early in the season that teams will have to respect that part as well, where if he struggles against Akron and Troy, Michigan will let their corners go on an island and make him beat them deep. Which could cause the offense to struggle some against the elite defenses on this schedule. And I also agree that it has answers to find ways to be creative and put up points. 

9 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I haven't been reading the board for a while. It sounds like Martinez has a good chance to start and get acclimated during this season's killer schedule and most likely he'll be backed by Gebbia , then Bunch. Does that sound right? Or maybe they fight it out in fall practice and Gebbia gets the start? What should I tell people to sound really smart?

People are still pretty split on whether they think Martinez or Gebbia will be the starter.  Some think Gebbia will be to start the year but Martinez takes over some where along the line.

But I'm thinking Martinez wins it right from the start.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

People are still pretty split on whether they think Martinez or Gebbia will be the starter.  Some think Gebbia will be to start the year but Martinez takes over some where along the line.

my guess is that it depends on Martinez's arm strength and recovery this summer.

8 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Adrian Martinez has not proven thus far that he can hit that deep pass with accuracy at the college level. Of course, it was one spring game but that is all we have. So I assume if he starts defenses will pay less attention to it and make him hit guys deep and play closer to the line of scrimmage. So I was implying that if he hits deep passes early in the season that teams will have to respect that part as well, where if he struggles against Akron and Troy, Michigan will let their corners go on an island and make him beat them deep. Which could cause the offense to struggle some against the elite defenses on this schedule. And I also agree that it has answers to find ways to be creative and put up points. 

Adrian showed a tendency to miss high, which is normal with young QBs. Milton did, too, but Mario corrected that after his freshman year. The advantage we have is Milton wasn't an early enrollee, whereas Adrian is, and we know from Mario's recent interviews that he's already isolating these sorts of issues and customizing drills for all the guys this summer. I'm more worried about the lack of velocity we've seen from Adrian and if that's indignant of that shoulder not being 100%.

In terms of Michigan trying to isolate their corners, that's tough to do. Again, the Peach Bowl is interesting because Auburn tried this, and while Milton would have punished them if he converted downfield at his normal rate, the offense was still able to find a solution. The core problem is how much backside threat this offense poses in combination with the QB running. Most QB running plays are very frontside heavy, so you can get away with isolating a corner on the backside because his primary responsibility is downfield due to lack of threat in the running game. This offense will line up in something like a 3x1 to the boundary side and now that backside corner, if isolated in man coverage, is outnumbered on things like backside runs or QB scrambles.

Teams want to play man against these RPO style offenses because they need to counter the intrinsic numbers advantages these offenses create, but the QB run threat is the great equalizer against man coverage. The deep ball is a great tool to have because the offense creates so many opportunities to make it a big play threat. With Frost and Walters able to adapt in real-time, it's such a pain in the ass offense.

• Plus1 3
40 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That's always been my opinion. I've never felt he'd redshirt. Now, this is a culture of competition, and they'll have those other two ready, but if it's anywhere close I feel Martinez gets the nod. I get the intuition everyone in that QB room kinda knows that, even if no one has been told it.

10 hours ago, Hayseed said:

If a poll was put out today predicting who would start, I think you would see some measure of advantage toward Martinez. Whoever actually has a lead is still largely unknown.

Verduzco said he's essentially looking at four categories when judging the players. It sounds like his pre-fall evaluation is still in full swing and, in the next few weeks, he'll sit down with each player and lay out exactly where they are, what they need to work on and how they need to position themselves to succeed. I guess he's also making them sign the evaluation and forwarding it on to their parents which is kind of cool.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, brophog said:

That's always been my opinion. I've never felt he'd redshirt. Now, this is a culture of competition, and they'll have those other two ready, but if it's anywhere close I feel Martinez gets the nod. I get the intuition everyone in that QB room kinda knows that, even if no one has been told it.

If it plays out this way, I just hope our OL allows him to make it through the season.  I've also never felt he'd redshirt.  Even if he isn't named the starter, I think he plays a lot this year.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Mavric said:

Agreed.  I think the QB with the better wheels gets the nod to start.  

I have looked at several different fan polls- all seem to favor Martinez but not by a landslide.  That surprises me honestly as I don't know a single person who doesn't think he will start.  The kid can flat run and I can't wait to see him on Saturdays.  TG is a good QB but kind of vanilla to me.