Frost’s QB Room

Pretty obvious (at least from what I've seen) that Gebbia is the superior QB, but obviously he needs to pack on some more bulk. He's had a year to add weight but IDK how that's been going... has anyone seen any photos of Gebbia lately? Wouldn't be surprised to see Gebbia start the season, but if he goes down Martinez would take over. 

POB has the size but he can really benefit from a body transformation (he seems to carry about 20 lbs that could really be converted into muscle and make a dramatic difference.  He will have to run much more agressively certainly.  POB is a dam good QB as well and if he can be agile and athletic enough maybe his very average speed can be aided by being more agressive and making quicker run decisions.  Also, called runs will be helpful as he will be planning that instead of trying to sit in the pocket and then moving at the last second.  Hard to look fast when you are starting from a standstill.  He is bigger physically.  Maybe both POB and Gebbia will look more able by the fall as well.  They are maturing from teenagers into men.

43 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

The QB size issue is so overdone.  They are not D lineman.  Duvall can work on fitness, couldn’t care less about the rest.

Ill just let this kid’s height/weight sit here:

https://247sports.com/Player/McKenzie-Milton-78624/high-school-136832

I was thinking of Milton too. However... without knowing a lot about Gebbia I would guess Milton is more mobile, so he can probably avoid more hits than someone like Gebbia.

• Plus1 1
On 2/10/2018 at 11:52 AM, Moiraine said:

I was thinking of Milton too. However... without knowing a lot about Gebbia I would guess Milton is more mobile, so he can probably avoid more hits than someone like Gebbia.

That's probably true, but they aren't necessarily requiring that we have the fastest QB or most mobile guy on the field. They need a guy who can operate the offense, I feel like when I watched Gebbia's film, he is a pretty mobile guy too when plays break down. I don't know for sure if he is a Zone/Read type of a guy or not, but I hope he can operate it. I am pretty hopeful that Gebbia and Martinez are #1 & #2 and they both play.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Word is Gebbia is now 6-4, 195.

That would be about an inch taller and probably 20-25 lbs heavier than when he got here.

Wouldn't surprise me. His dad is a big guy. So he likely wasn't done growing in some capacity.

Edited by Treand3

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Word is Gebbia is now 6-4, 195.

That would be about an inch taller and probably 20-25 lbs heavier than when he got here.

From that picture on Instagram? Or more confirmed sources?

He did seem like he was a bit of a baby face when he got here, I’m sure he is maturing quite a bit.

Edited by ScottyIce

QBs who are 'small' relative to the rest of those on the field start with a competitive disadvantage.  Exceptions can be found certainly but all things being equal, you want a QB that is NOT undersized by comparison.  Turner Gill was about 6', 190 lbs as I recall.  His O line was probably about 6-2-1/2 and 285l.  RBs were around 5-11 195 lbs.  Receivers were 6' 185 or so.   LBs were 6-1 220.   Secondary around 5-11 185.   D line were 6-2 probably on average.  

30 years later, the numbers are probably 2 inches taller and 25 or 30 lbs heavier all over the field 'on average', especially in LBs and lines.  Receivers are certainly taller and 15 lbs bigger as are tight ends, etc.  RBs under 200 lbs are becoming fewer and the 220 lb RBs more common.   

Frankly, average height and weight is up considerably while I suspect the speed numbers may actually be going down a tad as those extra pounds and so on will tend to slow many guys down some.  There may be a tendency by more coaches to prefer a bigger guy that is reasonably quick/fast over a smaller one that is exceptionally fast.  I don't agree with that as I believe that there is no substitute for speed and quickness when building a championship caliber team.  This is particularly true in a Frost type (sandlot style) offense with hurry up and players running all of the field as opposed to the old power - physical domination style - of the glory days of Osborne/Devaney.  Speed can help players overcome mistakes and misreads and prevent the extra long runs, etc.   It is better to run somebody down than not make the tackle at all.     

I would prefer more power but like the speed first emphasis as I believe you can add some good pounds to a fast player and retain most of that natural speed but you just can't make a big slow guy enough faster to compensate.  Ideally you want bigger, faster, stronger but I will sacrifice some bigger and focus on stronger and faster until you can find the size as well.   It takes time to build up a team in size while improving conditioning, etc. (years, not weeks or months in my view) but I believe there is some serious short term improvement  that can be realized in the current roster with the kind of hard and intense work that apparently is being done right now in Lincoln.  Our team, in my opinion, was just not in great shape and didn't show it in the games against any of our opponents, in the Riley era with a couple exceptions (UCLA farmers bowl, for example) which may be more attributable to our opponents being even less well conditioned than we were.  If the players work their butts off, we can atleast enter most games without a fitness deficit to overcome along with all the other things.   

At the QB spot, height and weight enable better game vision and durability of course.  Mickey Joseph was an example of a lightning quick QB who was just too small to get the entire job done effectively.   His running ability, albeit exceptional, did not outweigh his  and deficiencies (his hands were so small he could not really grip the ball well enough to throw decent passes) and he was never gonna push the pile and end up falling forward to get that extra 4 feet in a given run play.  Those last few feet add up over a game and career and make a big difference in down and distance and first downs gained.        

Edited by 84HuskerLaw

There’s a three-headed Husker quarterback battle brewing over the next several months. But Frost, a former signal-caller known for toughness in his playing days, will not be exposing Patrick O’Brien, Tristan Gebbia and Adrian Martinez to much contact this spring.

“No we usually keep the quarterbacks out of contact,” he said. “There’s a few times, once or twice in the spring, once or twice in the fall, we might make them live outside the pocket. For the most part we just need those guys to be learning and improving.”

LJS