Frost’s QB Room

28 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Did any reporters follow up with asking how Gebbia is doing? Frost commented alot of where Martinez is. 

Frost only spoke on Martinez after being asked two specific questions about him. I took his comments indicating the the reps would be more focused and directed towards starters following the scrimmage to be an indication the job remains wide open. 

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

This reminds me of 8 years ago prior to the start of the 2010 season when we kept hearing some of the upper classmen talk about the freaky speed from Taylor Martinez.  I still remember there was a lot of speculation of who would be the starter, and a day or two before opening game someone saw the dry run of the starting player announcements on the big screen and that is when T-Magic's picture was up there.  I don't think Frost will make this a game-time decision but I do think he will go with the freak athlete Martinez.

And just in case we want a reminder of the speed, here is one of my favorite games from T-Magic as a freshman.  

1:16 reporter's jink hits again - this time against KSU. 

2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Personally, I think where Martinez loses this battle is on the mental side of things. If Gebbia can make better decisions he'll beat out Martinez even with this physical gifts. Reading the defense correctly and putting the ball in the spot that allows the offense to take advantage of defensive mismatches is more important in this offense then athleticism alone. Just my opinion, but I think Gebbia wins on the mental side of it.

Yes that is what I commented on a day or two ago as well.  From an athletic perspective and the ability to make big plays with his legs, Martinez is well ahead of the other two.  It appears from a passing perspective all 3 guys are good passers, but it comes down to judgment and quick instincts that separate 3 QBs who have never really played at the collegiate level.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Did any reporters follow up with asking how Gebbia is doing? Frost commented alot of where Martinez is. 

Not that I saw. Gebbia could be behind Martinez from a mental aspect for all I know. I just think that's where Gebbia would win the job if he is going to at all.

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Yes that is what I commented on a day or two ago as well.  From an athletic perspective and the ability to make big plays with his legs, Martinez is well ahead of the other two.  It appears from a passing perspective all 3 guys are good passers, but it comes down to judgment and quick instincts that separate 3 QBs who have never really played at the collegiate level.

BRO, Andrew Bunch led The Fighting Artichokes at Scottsdale CC in JUCO!

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree, but would add team chemistry to that ceteria list.... Team unity has been one issue this staff had gone out of its way to emphasise this off-season, so I expect the starter to be the one who has fully embraced whatever leadership qualities this staff is looking for. Maybe not the top issue, because I expect all of the QBs to have good command and leadership, but I think it will play a factor.

1 hour ago, Oade said:

I agree, but would add team chemistry to that ceteria list.... Team unity has been one issue this staff had gone out of its way to emphasise this off-season, so I expect the starter to be the one who has fully embraced whatever leadership qualities this staff is looking for. Maybe not the top issue, because I expect all of the QBs to have good command and leadership, but I think it will play a factor.

I've gotten the impression (just from seeing the videos everyone else has) that Martinez and Gebbia both have a lot of respect from their teammates.

43 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

or Bumch?  everyone discounting him?  dismissing?

Keep in mind, he and Vedral were the only ones that went against the 1's and 2's on defense in the spring game.

If it ends up being Bunch it means the coaching staff did a really good job of keeping tight-lipped, because he kind of seems like an afterthought in interviews. Maybe that's the press's fault but it seems to me it's Gebbia and Martinez, although we're getting the (possible) coach speak that it's a 4-way tie. There also seem to be more photos of Bunch with Ozigbo and Mazour who are 2 RBs who haven't been mentioned a lot.

• Plus1 2

On 8/10/2018 at 6:19 PM, BlitzFirst said:

Keep in mind, he and Vedral were the only ones that went against the 1's and 2's on defense in the spring game.

I don't think AB starting will necessarily be received as a good sign. The perception, fair or not, will be that he was given the job because the two more talented players couldn't claim it. It'll be interpreted in the way some people felt a lot of walk-ons in the last several years became starters - not because they had turned into really great players but because roster depth and development had been poorly managed.

I realize we all need something to discuss and nothing is more intriguing than an apparently wide open contest to claim the starting QB job but there are still a few weeks left until the first game and I have no doubt one of them will claim it and that Frost will select the guy he feels best about. Frost has shown no indication of playing games or being less than brutally honest with both the players and the fans. It could be a clear 1-2-3 or 1A-1B-2 or even 1A-1B-1C. I really don't care who it is as I am confident it will get sorted out in the proper fashion.

Now as far as who I think it will be. My guess is Martinez. By all accounts he seems to have the best combination of arm and legs and my gut feeling is, based off HCSF comments, that the whole room is slightly lacking the mental processing speed at this point. Reps and experience will solve that for all of them. I'm just glad we have some capable depth at QB for once in a long time. And I'm sure they are getting all of them prepared to get the job done no matter who it is.

On 8/10/2018 at 7:19 PM, BlitzFirst said:

Its Gebbia or Martinez. Everyone here knows its Gebbia and Martinez battling for QB1. The coaches really only talk about Gebbia and Martinez. Maybe the occasional compliment for Bunch but nothing to make you think he will be named the starter. 

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Its Gebbia or Martinez. Everyone here knows its Gebbia and Martinez battling for QB1. The coaches really only talk about Gebbia and Martinez. Maybe the occasional compliment for Bunch but nothing to make you think he will be named the starter. 

I don't think it's Bunch, but I don't recall any coach coming out and saying anything specific on a player without specifically being asked about Gebbia or Martinez this fall camp. 

• Plus1 2