Tyronn Lue

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2018 at 7:14 AM, pearljammer said:

Let's not. Zero experience coaching college and we don't want to be the school that just hires former players as all of our coaches do we?

Ha ha!  Zero coaching experience?  Really??  Given that he's one of the top coaches in the NBA perhaps we could overlook his lack of a college coaching gig.  I mean, it is the same sport after all.  

====================  

The issue isn't about experience.  It's about $$$.  We're paying Tim Miles $2 million/year.  Lue makes $7 million/year.  Only a couple or three college coaches in the nation make that kind of coin.    

2 hours ago, NUance said:

Ha ha!  Zero coaching experience?  Really??  Given that he's one of the top coaches in the NBA perhaps we could overlook his lack of a college coaching gig.  I mean, it is the same sport after all.  

====================  

The issue isn't about experience.  It's about $$$.  We're paying Tim Miles $2 million/year.  Lue makes $7 million/year.  Only a couple or three college coaches in the nation make that kind of coin.    

I have a feeling if he did want to come here (HUGE if) he would do extremely well. To me it doesn't matter that he doesn't have collegiate coaching experience. Everyone knows who he is and he's got major NBA connections. I'd be curious to see who he'd be able to get on staff with him as that would probably be the key but he should have no problem recruiting talented kids to UNL from high school with his credentials.

Imagine how nuts Nebraska sports would be with Scott Frost running Nebraska football and Tyronn Lue running Nebraska basketball. Sheesh. 

No doubt he'd have to take a paycut to come here. I wonder if timing wise it won't align for Nebraska to at least give him an offer though, as LeBron could (will?) opt out at the end of this season. If he does I could see Lue coaching another year and the Cavs/him deciding to go their separate ways. At that point Nebraska will probably have just fired Tim Miles and it would sort of be a "now or never" thing. With his recent health issues I wonder if Lue wouldn't give the college game a look as its definitely less stressful and would allow him to spend time making sure he keeps his mind and body right while also coaching basketball at a place he loves and cares about. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Kind of random nugget I just thought of that would potentially be a hold up to this fantasy scenario:

Did Lue actually graduate from the University? Do you have to have a college degree to be a head coach for UNL? I know Lue left early but I was unsure if he got his degree or not. 

I'm sure he could grab some credits this summer

3 hours ago, NUance said:

Naw, we'd just give him credit for life experience and print the dang thing out.  lulz :P

Maybe create an "experience" class called basketball coaching NON college 101, 102, 103 etc - class 301 could be dealing with players that think they are in charge of the team/league.....

• Mavric changed the title to Tyronn Lue