O-line

I see all these skill guys, I see a couple/few lineman. 

I know speed kills and SF offense relies on space and mismatches. When do we start land 3-4 Star line recruits? It’s allllll about the trenches IMHO. 

do we have some guys that are solid and leaning towards us? Don’t we need lineman?? 

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, I am I said:

I know speed kills and SF offense relies on space and mismatches. When do we start land 3-4 Star line recruits? It’s allllll about the trenches IMHO. 

do we have some guys that are solid and leaning towards us? Don’t we need lineman?? 

It's a good question, but probably going to have to wait for the next season when Frost & Co. have a full year to recruit.

15 hours ago, I am I said:

There are tons of guys on scholarship for OL.  Frost & Co. addressed some of the biggest needs for this class right now.  I can guarantee we'll see some good OL and DL in next year's class.

For some reason it usually seems like linemen take longer to develop a relationship with in order to get a commitment. (in general, not always) This hurt us with the early signing period and coaching change this year.  Next year will be different.

A little more on this.  Here are the linemen currently on scholarship, class for the 2018 season, and their 247 composite coming out of high school:

Matt Sichterman - RFr. - .8757

Broc Bando - RFr. - .8412

Chris Walker - RFr. - .8411  (I'm not convinced he stays on the OL, he loves Defense)

John Raridon - So. - .9452

Matt Farniok - So. - .8934

Bryan Brokop - So. - .8847

Brendan Jaimes - So. - .8797

Boe Wilson - So. - .8559

Jalin Barnett - Jr. - .9219

Christian Gaylord - Jr. - .8715

Michael Decker - Jr. - .8543

Tanner Farmer - Sr. - .9021

Jerald Foster - Sr. - .8915

Cole Conrad - Sr. - N/A

Knevel & Gates are the only 2 leaving from this year, so with the 2 new scholarship OL, the numbers will be the same next year (barring attrition)

The cupboard isn't bare.  There will be 10 OL that are Freshmen or Sophomores in 2018, and 6 upperclassmen.  Some of these guys were pretty highly rated.  Give them a chance with a new scheme and new coaching staff.  I think they'll surprise lots of people.

• Plus1 2
On 2/8/2018 at 8:44 AM, HS_Coach_C said:

A little more on this.  Here are the linemen currently on scholarship, class for the 2018 season, and their 247 composite coming out of high school:

Matt Sichterman - RFr. - .8757

Broc Bando - RFr. - .8412

Chris Walker - RFr. - .8411  (I'm not convinced he stays on the OL, he loves Defense)

John Raridon - So. - .9452

Matt Farniok - So. - .8934

Bryan Brokop - So. - .8847

Brendan Jaimes - So. - .8797

Boe Wilson - So. - .8559

Jalin Barnett - Jr. - .9219

Christian Gaylord - Jr. - .8715

Michael Decker - Jr. - .8543

Tanner Farmer - Sr. - .9021

Jerald Foster - Sr. - .8915

Cole Conrad - Sr. - N/A

Knevel & Gates are the only 2 leaving from this year, so with the 2 new scholarship OL, the numbers will be the same next year (barring attrition)

The cupboard isn't bare.  There will be 10 OL that are Freshmen or Sophomores in 2018, and 6 upperclassmen.  Some of these guys were pretty highly rated.  Give them a chance with a new scheme and new coaching staff.  I think they'll surprise lots of people.

image.png.1dd0a713c712173d1d8f65bade4f624e.png

This would be a good start.

Edited by runningblind

1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

So we've got players that haven't been working out properly in the weight room for the past 3 years.  It's going to take at least a couple of years to recover from that.  One off-season of workouts won't overcome not gaining strength for 3 years.

I think the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle of what we've heard.  I'm sure they were doing a lot of lifting, including legs, but to what extent, we can't know for sure.  It's possible this is an exaggeration also, though the results on the field definitely show a lack of skill and strength on the line.

8 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I think the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle of what we've heard.  I'm sure they were doing a lot of lifting, including legs, but to what extent, we can't know for sure.  It's possible this is an exaggeration also, though the results on the field definitely show a lack of skill and strength on the line.

I think the old staff did more Olympic style squatting and Frosts staff is doing it the old-fashioned way. Regular squats are different from Olympic style squats, but I am not sure how they are different. I also remember a video of Tanner Farmer doing squats but I can't find it.

Anyway, I love this new nasty mentality for the line. No more kumbaya its okay if we lose, get them to go out there and dominate the opposing team. Also, these guys will not only be trained properly but they will be developed properly and the best players will play. If we can dominate the fourth like we did in 2016, that would be an improvement form the quitting mentality the team had last year.