How Do Late Scholarship Offers Affect A Recruit's 40 Year Decision?

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2018/02/06/late-scholarship-offers-affect-recruits-40-year-decision

Prestonwood defensive lineman Pierce DeVaughn spent most of the past few months with a pretty clear path: he would sign to play college football at Montana State.

But a few weeks ago, other colleges started talking to him. Then on Jan. 30, Connecticut offered him a scholarship. He'd talked with UConn over the previous few weeks, but hadn't done much research. He primarily knew it as the school with the good basketball team.

DeVaughn's father always told him picking a college was a 40-year decision, not a four-year one. Now he had eight days to research the school, set up a visit and decide if this was the 40-year decision he wanted to make.

"It was like drinking water out of a fire hydrant," DeVaughn said. "It was a lot of information all at once that I had to take in."

DeVaughn isn't the only one. Prestonwood quarterback Wylie Green received a late scholarship offer from Rice. South Oak Cliff co-recruiting coordinator Michael Traylor said some of his kids were still getting scholarship offers a few days before Wednesday's signing day, which marks the beginning of the regular-signing period for football.

After receiving the scholarship offer on last Tuesday, DeVaughn took a visit to Connecticut this weekend, the final opportunity to visit before signing day. He said he had the entire coaching staff to almost exclusively himself as he was one of the only players taking an official visit this past weekend.

The Montana State staff talked with DeVaughn about how long they've been recruiting him, about how Connecticut jumped in late likely because they missed out on someone else. But the opportunity to play at an FBS school that he liked academically was one DeVaughn couldn't pass up.

"If you were to go to any school, whether it's a big school or a small school, you're going to have to put in the work if you want to get on the field," DeVaughn said. "I had to push the fact back to I'm doing this not just for football, so I wasn't really as concerned about it being a late offer."

DeVaughn will sign with UConn on Wednesday, less than a week after visiting the campus for the first time. It's not always that easy.

Pretty interesting stuff regarding the academic side of this whole recruiting operation. We oftentimes don't think about this but it really does matter in terms of the lives of the individuals we are recruiting. Keep this in mind today when things do/don't go our way with someone. 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

What you said is true in regards to academics but if the kid had any thought of going on to the NFL, Montana St > UCONN. 

Heh.  Did not know that.  OTOH, if he wants good basketball tickets...  :)

19 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

What you said is true in regards to academics but if the kid had any thought of going on to the NFL, Montana St > UCONN. 

Not only is this statement totally ignorant, it is also completely inaccurate. 

Since 2000 Montana State has had 4 kids drafted. 1 in the 3rd round 1 in the 4th round and 2 in the 7th round. 

Since 2000 UConn has had 26 players drafted including 2 in the first round. 

Players on active NFL rosters last year: 

UConn 13

Montana State: 2

Facts are fun.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

Not only is this statement totally ignorant, it is also completely inaccurate. 

Since 2000 Montana State has had 4 kids drafted. 1 in the 3rd round 1 in the 4th round and 2 in the 7th round. 

Since 2000 UConn has had 26 players drafted including 2 in the first round. 

Players on active NFL rosters last year: 

UConn 13

Montana State: 2

Facts are fun.

Facts are fun, in terms of play, UCONN would get curb stomped by Montana St.  Apparently I was wrong in terms of exposure, but the fact remains, better football is played at Montana St than at UCONN.  Montana St also hasn't been tearing up FBS teams since 2000, why not make the range since like say "recent" and 17 years isn't really all that recent, try something like 5 years..

Now get back to posting incorrect people's LOI's.

8 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

Facts are fun, in terms of play, UCONN would get curb stomped by Montana St.  Apparently I was wrong in terms of exposure, but the fact remains, better football is played at Montana St than at UCONN.  Montana St also hasn't been tearing up FBS teams since 2000, why not make the range since like say "recent" and 17 years isn't really all that recent, try something like 5 years..

Now get back to posting incorrect people's LOI's.

You're kidding me right? Montana State that went 5-6 in FCS last year? They're 14-19 in the last 3 years in FCS. 29-29 in the last 5 years. You're really going to say football is played in the Big Sky than the American? What kind of sauce are you lost in besides Wages? You can make the range whatever you want it to be for NFL history. UConn has significantly more NFL players historically than Montana State. Hell the Huskies were in the freaking Fiesta Bowl in 2011. Go ahead and look up some real concrete data to make the argument that Montana State is a better football team or program than UConn.

Please provide real data to make your argument. Either argument that you choose to address is fine. Originally, you incorrectly argued that the path to the NFL is better from Montana State than UConn. Upon being proven incorrect via facts, you then pivoted your argument to "better football is played at Montana State than at UConn". I'll be waiting to see the factually based case you make for better football being played at a mediocre FCS program than at a team that plays top 25 (typically multiple top 25) teams annually. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Atbone95 said:

Love debates about Montana St football on the Husker forums. Almost like nothing better was going on today

Even better is that when @HuskerInLostWages was asked to defend his opinions with facts, he couldn't do it. He then tried to turn his incorrect argument to a different incorrect (and irrelevant) argument. He was challenged to provide facts and data to back up his claims and he didn't answer because there are none. So not only did he waste his time trying to debate Montana State football on a Nebraska message board but he was proven to be a fool in the process. Take a lap buddy. 

7 hours ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

I did get the Grizzleys mixed up with Montana St ,but rather than be a giant douche like @seaofred92, i chose to bow out gracefully.  Go ahead and gloat though, the sun shines on the dogs arse every once in a while.

Pretty sure this is you NOT bowing out gracefully. 

Now get back to posting incorrect people's LOI's.”

Edited by caveman99
  • Plus1 2
1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

Even if he did mean Montana the argument is still wrong. Montana has 11 drafted players since 2000 and only 3 players on NFL rosters last year. Just an all around ridiculous claim

Where are you getting this?  I count 9 Grizzly players for the 2017 season playing in the NFL alone.

Colt Anderson - #33 - Buffalo Bills
Brock Coyle - #50 - San Francisco 49ers
Tyrone Holmes - #91 - Cleveland Browns
Trumaine Johnson - #22 - LA Rams
Jamaal Jones - #1 - LA Chargers
Caleb Kidder - #64 - New England Patriots 
JR Nelson - #30 - Kansas City Chiefs
William Poehls - #78 - Chicago Bears
Jordan Tripp - #58 - Green Bay Packers

I also see only 12 UCONN player actively on rosters.

Edited by HuskerInLostWages