How to Win in Recruiting

We wanted to find out exactly how high school football players perceive the Power 5 schools, so we asked 224 recruits to grade their interest and desire in each program as if they were the number one recruit in the country (i.e. they had offers from every school).  This process gave us a peek into the minds of the most important demographic: teenage football players.  Everyone who follows college football surely has an opinion on every program and, consciously or unconsciously, has their own personal ranking system comprised of all the brands.  However, a middle-aged man probably has a different, more favorable perception of a once-gloried program than a young teenager who never witnessed a winning season.  Rather, the lifeblood of a college program lies in the minds of high school football players.  These rankings show us the critical hierarchy of schools within recruits’ minds.  This is the closest thing to the NCAA’s version of the NFL draft.  The teams at the top of these rankings will get the first picks and the teams at the bottom of the rankings will get the leftovers.  Pro teams can squander high draft positions through poor talent evaluation and thus poor draft selections while college teams can squander favorable brand positioning with poor talent evaluation, poor recruiting execution, or poor player development.  However, in terms of raw “draft capital,” this is how teams position themselves for future success.  Pro teams tank seasons and acquire additional draft picks to improve positioning.  College teams hire creative marketing staffers and build fancy new facilities to improve positioning.

Pick Six Previews

brand-rankings-2_1.png?1518066526

4-star-distribution.png?1518101562

graph_1_orig.png

• Plus1 1

Shoutout to @Nebfanatic for pointing this thread out to me after I posted a status update regarding Wisconsin's recruiting ranking.

It's pretty fascinating to me that this level of brand recognition plus their recent success only allotted them the 44th best class according to 24/7. How? Is anybody in Madison actually pleased with that result? I totally understand recruiting to a system and getting the players you need, but...

I find it interesting (and rather encouraging) that Nebraska is right behind Auburn, Alabama, and Texas.  A few decent years on the field can only help the Husker brand get even better.

And this speaks even more to why it was important for Frost and his staff to coach UCF and constantly be getting attention from the National media.