Talent Vs. Developement

23 minutes ago, Snowbird said:

As I said Before you must go off of Wallace’s perspective because he is the only one who ranked every year? The 4 classes before the national championship is as follows. 10, 28, 14, 18. Which averages out to roughly 18 in the country. 

So he had a top 10 class? Look at who wins the national championship every year....they have highly ranked classes with elite coaches that can develop the talent. TO was a phenomenal coach of Xs and Os, great recruiter and one of the best developers of talent the game has ever seen. He had plenty of 4 and 5 star talent on his roster consistently that was supplemented with 4th and 5th year seniors that walked on. 

48 minutes ago, Snowbird said:

As I said Before you must go off of Wallace’s perspective because he is the only one who ranked every year? The 4 classes before the national championship is as follows. 10, 28, 14, 18. Which averages out to roughly 18 in the country. 

Fair to say as good as Nebraska was they were better at spotting talent then whatever recruiting services your quoting? 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Fair to say as good as Nebraska was they were better at spotting talent then whatever recruiting services your quoting? 

They still had a top 10 class....regardless TO recruited at an elite level with players that perfectly fit his scheme and developed 200 plus players every year. He knew what he was doing 

3 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

They still had a top 10 class....regardless TO recruited at an elite level with players that perfectly fit his scheme and developed 200 plus players every year. He knew what he was doing 

Hey Hedley, I agree with what you are saying here. Can you please expand more on your reply to my last comment? 

As I said, Wisconsin has done wonders with recruiting classes that have been outside of the top 25. But with that said, they came up a little bit short — but not by a lot as you saw they were fast enough against Miami — with a little less speed on the edge against OSU. Wisconsin is not slow on defense but not quite fast enough against that explosive OSU offense.

With that slight disadvantage and an inconsistent QB who had a not-so-good game against OSU, Wisconsin only lost by one touchdown and had the last possession I believe.

As long as the Badgers continue the same path in recruiting but add a little more speed on the outside on defense, they could make it some year to the final four. Plus, they have a hot QB commitment who will probably be better than Hornibrook. 

To me Frost’s recruiting is somewhat like Osborne’s, except online recruiting has changed the game some. I have confidence that Frost is only offering very talented prospects who fit his system. And it’s a mixture of three stars, four stars and a few fives. 

So because in recruiting it’s first come and first serve, there will be years where Frost will get more three stars than fours, as the three stars commit first. Another year that could reverse. So, for example, one year we could have an 18th ranking and another year it could be 7th. But I have confidence that either class would have great talent. Sorry for the long reply. 

9 minutes ago, Snowbird said:

I agree Osborne great at everything you said. I’m just saying if you think Nebraska is going to consistently get top 10 classes I dont think that’s happening. 

I think it’s impossible to be top 10 every year if you run a clean program. Some classes are going to be too small to be top 10 just by the numbers. But if your like the SEC and don’t honor scholarships and kick kids out so you can bring in 30 every year then your recruiting numbers will look sweet 

2 hours ago, Pedro G said:

Hey Hedley, I agree with what you are saying here. Can you please expand more on your reply to my last comment? 

As I said, Wisconsin has done wonders with recruiting classes that have been outside of the top 25. But with that said, they came up a little bit short — but not by a lot as you saw they were fast enough against Miami — with a little less speed on the edge against OSU. Wisconsin is not slow on defense but not quite fast enough against that explosive OSU offense.

With that slight disadvantage and an inconsistent QB who had a not-so-good game against OSU, Wisconsin only lost by one touchdown and had the last possession I believe.

As long as the Badgers continue the same path in recruiting but add a little more speed on the outside on defense, they could make it some year to the final four. Plus, they have a hot QB commitment who will probably be better than Hornibrook. 

To me Frost’s recruiting is somewhat like Osborne’s, except online recruiting has changed the game some. I have confidence that Frost is only offering very talented prospects who fit his system. And it’s a mixture of three stars, four stars and a few fives. 

So because in recruiting it’s first come and first serve, there will be years where Frost will get more three stars than fours, as the three stars commit first. Another year that could reverse. So, for example, one year we could have an 18th ranking and another year it could be 7th. But I have confidence that either class would have great talent. Sorry for the long reply. 

Oh I agree that Wisc is/was close. Last years team simply needed an elite NFL caliber QB in my opinion as Hornibrook isnt special at all. I bet if Wisc had a top 10 class every 4 years at minimum they would have made the playoffs by now based on how close they have been. 

I'm not saying a team cant be really damn good and not snag a top 10 class. Im just saying you wont be bringing home the national championship trophy based on statistics. I hope a few teams tip the apple cart but it hasn't happened for a very long time. 

I do believe Frost will get us to signing top 10 classes here and there and be in the teens the other years. That is plenty of raw talent that Duval and now Ellis can mold into machines. 

11 hours ago, Snowbird said:

I never said he didnt recruit great classes. But if you take what you are saying, Wisconsin, Iowa should be awful every year? Also, I did See your “facts” and if you average those classes they aren’t averaging top 10? They would be around 15 in those 4 classes on average? 

Um....

23 hours ago, Snowbird said:

The formula to win at Nebraska is not recruiting top 10 recruiting classes. It wasn’t when Osborne was here and it won’t be when Frost is here. He will get great recruiting classes and add 20 walk ons a year. In 5 walk on classes you hope to get 2/3 kids who become studs for you, that helps your recruiting class each year. Once they establish themselves maybe they will routinely recruit in the top 10 but I don’t see it happening for some time. 

21 hours ago, Snowbird said:

Going on the site you wanted? We can argue about the rankings in 1986 all day. If you talk to Osborne and or frost they will tell you those classes aren’t top 15. 

20 hours ago, Snowbird said:

What I am saying is it is easy to go back and rank players after it’s done? Look at the starters on the 94 team. Besides maybe Peter and Frazier, Phillips where are most of those guys being ranked? Is it just a miracle that the players in 80s and 90s from Nebraska would have all been ranked as 4 Star kids and now they are 3s? Aaron Taylor prime example on Big10 network yesterday, had 3 offers? He would not be ranked today? Look at the starters on 94 team many more 3 stars/ not ranked than 4 and 5 star players 

20 hours ago, Snowbird said:

You have to go by individual players if you are talking development and recruiting specific players. Corey Schlesinger was a walk on with 0 offers he would be a prime example of not ranked. Weigert had 1 offer. 3 star kid or 2 star in today’s rankings. 

13 hours ago, Snowbird said:

They don’t recruit in top 10, they will never win a national championship. Osborne recruited great for his system. Recruited no where near a modern day Alabama or even Ohio St. Surprised Schlessinger was a scholarship guy, even though he said he wasn’t recruited hard by anyone. 

What are these, then? 

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, Snowbird said:

I never said he didnt recruit great classes. But if you take what you are saying, Wisconsin, Iowa should be awful every year? Also, I did See your “facts” and if you average those classes they aren’t averaging top 10? They would be around 15 in those 4 classes on average? 

There is a difference between awful, average, good, and elite. Wisconsin and Iowa can recruit their typical classes and be average and/or good. However, to be elite you need to have some top 10 classes and great coaching. Elite teams win National Championships. 

When talking about TO, we need to realize that college football is a lot different now than it was in the 80s and 90s. 

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, jaws said:

When talking about TO, we need to realize that college football is a lot different now than it was in the 80s and 90s. 

It's also important to note Tom Osborne was undoubtedly the single best coach in the country during the national title run. I think this gets sort of lost in the shuffle at times. If Scott (and, by extension, we the fans) are ever fortunate enough to win another national title, I believe it will be because he is the best coach in the country and it will take a coach of that caliber to win it all again at Nebraska.

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It's also important to note Tom Osborne was undoubtedly the single best coach in the country during the national title run. I think this gets sort of lost in the shuffle at times. If Scott (and, by extension, we the fans) are ever fortunate enough to win another national title, I believe it will be because he is the best coach in the country and it will take a coach of that caliber to win it all again at Nebraska.

Good thing we already know he's one of the best:

Awards
AAC Coach of the Year Award
AFCA Coach of the Year Award
Associated Press College Football Coach of the Year Award
Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award
FCA Coach of the Year Award
Home Depot Coach of the Year Award
Paul "Bear" Bryant Award
  • Plus1 2
49 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Very good point. Also why I think the narrative that you cant recruit to Nebraska is false. Kids follow great leaders and winners. You win and the kids will come. Why are saban and meyer great recruiters? Because they are great leaders and they win and people are drawn to that. Meyer and Saban could go anywhere and recruit because they will win. Frost is a great leader- if and when the wins start piling up. Recruiting will get very easy.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Snowbird said:

I was Joking when I said That Wisconsin can’t win without a top ten class. I was being “sarcastic”. It is laughable to think Wisconsin can’t win a national title. They went 12-1 last year. They are very close. To suggest different is idiotic. 

Have they won without a top ten class? When they do you can come and tell us all we were wrong. Until then the numbers say otherwise....

So they were an elite recruiting class away from going to the college football playoffs and competing for a national championship is what you are saying right?

23 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Very good point. Also why I think the narrative that you cant recruit to Nebraska is false. Kids follow great leaders and winners. You win and the kids will come. Why are saban and meyer great recruiters? Because they are great leaders and they win and people are drawn to that. Meyer and Saban could go anywhere and recruit because they will win. Frost is a great leader- if and when the wins start piling up. Recruiting will get very easy.

I believe there's a lot of truth to this. Personally, I don't believe we'll ever be a consistent Top 5 recruiter, but on-field success (and further growth of the Scott Frost/Nebraska brand) could easily make us a consistent Top 15 recruiter, in my opinion.