2021 Recruiting Notes

2 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

History tells us we'll be taking between 3-5 kids annually. Saint is an intriguing prospect from an area we're trying to make inroads in who is teammates with our top target in the same class. And he's a legitimate high major talent. It makes no sense why we wouldn't. 

Those are all valid points however NU has 1 open spot next season and the amount of transfers that we saw this year wont happen again. I'm guessing that the staff is being open with the kid and have mentioned that if spots open up he will be a target.

33 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Those are all valid points however NU has 1 open spot next season and the amount of transfers that we saw this year wont happen again. I'm guessing that the staff is being open with the kid and have mentioned that if spots open up he will be a target.

Thor is a Senior. That's 1. 

Arop will be gone after next year. That's 2. 

Kobe Webster is a 1 year guy. That's 3. 

I would wager at least 1, if not 2 of: Stevenson, McGowens (if immediately eligible), King (if immediately eligible), Walker, Allen will leave to pursue pro careers overseas. Most of those are transfers, Stevenson will be 23, Walker will be 23, King will be 22, McGowens will be 21. Most people that are good enough by that point begin to explore their professional options. That's 4, possibly 5. 

And that assumes Banton doesn't go pro (> 0% chance) and Ouedraogo comes back for his Junior season (likely but you hold your breath with foreign born players every year). 

If I had to guess right now, they're planning for 3 scholarships, understanding 4 could very easily happen this offseason, and need to maintain enough contact with guys that if they have to fill 5 they can. 

Edit- Yes I know they have a commitment from Keisei. I did not include him in the above "Analysis". So that means planning on 2 more, likely theres 3 more, with 4 more scholarships a possibility.

6 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

Thor is a Senior. That's 1. 

Arop will be gone after next year. That's 2. 

Kobe Webster is a 1 year guy. That's 3. 

I would wager at least 1, if not 2 of: Stevenson, McGowens (if immediately eligible), King (if immediately eligible), Walker, Allen will leave to pursue pro careers overseas. Most of those are transfers, Stevenson will be 23, Walker will be 23, King will be 22, McGowens will be 21. Most people that are good enough by that point begin to explore their professional options. That's 4, possibly 5. 

And that assumes Banton doesn't go pro (> 0% chance) and Ouedraogo comes back for his Junior season (likely but you hold your breath with foreign born players every year). 

If I had to guess right now, they're planning for 3 scholarships, understanding 4 could very easily happen this offseason, and need to maintain enough contact with guys that if they have to fill 5 they can. 

..... you also forgot the option that moos removes men's bball from NU sports

Otherwise that is all true but until some of those things happen you can't offer a spot that isn't there. The facts are that we have 2 spots and one is taken - yes more will open but until they do you dont know which hole / holes need to be filled.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, GBRFAN said:

That is all true but until some of those things happen you can't offer a spot that isn't there. The facts are that we have 2 spots and one is taken - yes more will open but until they do you dont know which hole / holes need to be filled.

That's the blessing of Fred's system though- everyone is the same size. 

Saint is 6'6 200lbs. Guy can probably guard 2-4 once he fills out in college. Nebraska should be offering him a scholarship no matter what happens with Sallis. We've offered plenty of other 2021 SF's in the last few days. Might as well offer the local kid that fits what you want to do. 

3 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Not according to seaofred 

Sallis is far and away #1 on the board. If he wants N he has a spot even if they're 15 scholarships over the limit. 

But they're going to have more than 1 spot open for next year. It's not me wishing it or saying it blindly. It's just the reality of college basketball. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/29/2020 at 6:38 PM, GBRFAN said:

..... you also forgot the option that moos removes men's bball from NU sports

Otherwise that is all true but until some of those things happen you can't offer a spot that isn't there. The facts are that we have 2 spots and one is taken - yes more will open but until they do you dont know which hole / holes need to be filled.

spots there

• Mavric unpinned this topic