2021 Recruiting Notes

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know nothing about the basketball recruiting schedule. When is the 2021 recruiting season complete?

Right now our class is considered better than:

kentucky

North Carolina

Louisville

creighton

UCLA 

indiana

i never thought I would see that. 

There is really no "complete" date.  There is an early signing period but once you get to the later date you can sign any time after that.  Most guys sign right away but there's really no deadline.  In fact, you don't have to sign at all.  You can just show up in the fall.  Assuming the school saved a spot for you.

Basketball recruiting ranking are much more fickle than football.  In football, most everyone is taking 20-25 kids so the exact number of signees doesn't make much difference.  In basketball, some schools are only signing a couple players that year while other sign five or even six.

Nebraska signed 5 but our star average is "only" 3.4 (per Rivals).

Kentucky only signed two guys but their average is 4.5.

North Carolina only signed two guys but their average is 4.0.

Louisville, Creighton and UCLA signed three guys, Indiana two.  But they all have higher averages than we did.

@BigRedBuster echoing what @Mavricsaid- the ranking numbers get a bit skewed in hoops because of the small class sizes. If you add in a 5* like NU did, it drastically pulls up your overall numbers. 

As far as the recruiting calendar goes for hoops, it’s pushed up compared to football. Whereas a lot of guys in football will go into their senior seasons uncommitted or even still looking to prove themselves, hoops players tend to commit early. NU will hit the summer trail HARD now that the dead period has officially been lifted. There’s a few big tournaments that most all the high-major staffs will be at: Peach Jam, Vegas, etc. NU will make a lot of offers at that time but it also will continuously offer kids throughout the year- look at how many 2024 kids we’ve already offered. It’s because Abdelmassih is extremely closely tied into the NYC/New England AAU circuit. As such, coaches will call him and say “hey I got a guy..” and it gives him a chance to get in early. 

THAT is why I so firmly believe NU is on the right path. When you combine the shot selection and pace we have when we play the games combined with the momentum on the trail- good things are ahead. 

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...