Tourney or bust ??

HANC

This is probably talked about elsewhere, but I didn't see the obvious thread.  

Interested in seeing people's opinion.  I was listening to USC on 1620 last week and this discussion came up.  They debated on whether or not Miles needed to make the tourney to save his job.  At first, I was a bit shocked to even hear this discussion.

One guy, said that there was way too much upside to this season for Miles to be gone.  We were picked near the bottom of the Big 10, yet have worked all the way to at least the "bubble", currently 4th in Big 10.  He was "iffy" in his arguments, but stood with Miles staying.

The other guy was STRONGLY opposed to keeping Miles unless we made the tourney.  He said that every year, it is the same song and dance.  Everyone is always looking to "next" season.  With the Big 10 being down, and the possibility of Palmer and Copeland leaving early, that this may be their best chance.  He was stood strong on saying Tourney or bust for Miles.

I am not sure what to think.  I believe that this team has proven to be much better than predicted.  Miles has held this team together through distractions on the inside and out.  The schedule wasn't kind with games stacked and then long lay-offs.  Again, I think that we should expect to be in the dance each year.

Opinions ?

• Plus1 1

I don't think its tourney or bust.  I think he's saved unless we manage to lose 4 straight and the first game in the B1G tourney.  While the B1G was down, we've still managed to win the games we should have.  Road games aren't easy but we've competed and won a good chunk of them. I think we've seen what Miles is capable of with the talent.  Our problem is the past has been terrible chemistry and we didn't have a balanced attack.  When we have box scores now of 4-5 guys with 10+ you are in good hands.  And frankly next year we could explode.  If no one leaves we could be a preseason top 25 team and rightly so.  The guys are finally playing together as a team.  Only lose taylor and gill.  Taylor who is a good defender but is a liability otherwise.  Gill who is only useful if he makes his shots.  It would make no sense for Cope to leave.  Palmer may, but hopefully Miles can convince him to come back.  

Our second returning scorer for this year was Jack McVeigh.....Miles did a great job of getting Palmer and Copeland going. It took the first part of the season, but we have been clicking this 2nd half of the year. We have overcome losing our top 2 rebounders from the year prior as well due to transferring. Miles should be and will be back 

Edited by BIG ERN

I think Miles has done more than enough to earn another year but next year is when the spotlight is going to be bright.

If he can keep the turnover/Transfers to a minimum we should be able to compete next year. I could see James Palmer flirting with the NBA but not sure if he makes the leap.

Copeland should be back. I assume Jordy will transfer this offseason and would really like to keep Glynn but if he leaves I think Allen can help us a bit.

Duby Okeke- Graduating

Evan Taylor- Graduating

Anton Gill- Graduating

I think Jack McVeigh might be shown the door. 

Got a few incoming guys- Xavier Johnson(Guard) and Brady Heiman(C) coming in. I dont think Brady will play much his first year. Xavier has a ton of hype and I think he will see similar time to what Allen has seen.

No idea what we will get out of Nana Akenten or Thor. Both are still figuring it out.

Next year will be huge if we can bring these guys back as our core:

G- Watson

G- Allen

G- Palmer

F-Roby

F-Copeland

(Not including a center because I dont think we really will run a traditional 5 man set)

Another thing to note. When Moos took over and was looking at the football team he talked a lot about focusing on how they finished up and effort put forth. 

This husker team is finishing up really strong and the effort is huge.

Add the fact that Miles and his team were VERY unified over the hate speech and I just dont think Moos would have a leg to stand on. Miles deserved to be on the hotseat prior to this year but has done enough to stick around.

• Plus1 1

I think at the beginning of the year, with no context of how the season would play out, there was a lot of merit to this conversation. Hell I was pretty much in the tournament or bust crowd.  This team has grown leaps and bounds over the course of the season, something I wasn’t sold that Miles could do.  This team looks and feels different than previous Miles teams and I think barring a total collapse, this team has shown more than enough for Miles to be retained.  

• Plus1 2

Doesn't anyone remember the many years of Nebrasketball craptitude before Miles?  I think we have more potential now than anytime in, like, forever.  I think we'll make the Tourney this year.  So it's a bit of a moot point.  But even if we didn't, it seems like Miles has us headed in the right direction.  That, and at some point you just have to pick a guy and stick with him.  Tim Miles is as good as we're going to get.  So it's crazy to talk about whether he'd be fired for not making the ncaa tournament this year.   Crazy.  /jmho  

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, NUance said:

Doesn't anyone remember the many years of Nebrasketball craptitude before Miles?  I think we have more potential now than anytime in, like, forever.  I think we'll make the Tourney this year.  So it's a bit of a moot point.  But even if we didn't, it seems like Miles has us headed in the right direction.  That, and at some point you just have to pick a guy and stick with him.  Tim Miles is as good as we're going to get.  So it's crazy to talk about whether he'd be fired for not making the ncaa tournament this year.   Crazy.  /jmho  

I get this sentiment, but lets not let the one season Miles brought us to the tournament cloud the fact the rest of his teams werent very competitive.

I like Miles and he has done a lot for recruiting and getting some talent but this is a bit of a chicken/egg situation.

Miles came here, got some hype but lets not forget Pinnacle Bank Arena and the new practice facility are huge in terms of recruitment and get butts in seats.

Miles proved you could turn Nebraska football fans in to Nebraska basketball fans but that being said, we could still get a better coach to run the show. We are in the B1G and with our facilities and fan support, there is no reason we cant compete(like we are now).

I hope Miles has turned the corner for good and we can expect great things like this season moving forward but I certainly wouldnt be scared to fire him and start over if he stinks up the place next year.

9 hours ago, RedSavage said:

I think at the beginning of the year, with no context of how the season would play out, there was a lot of merit to this conversation. Hell I was pretty much in the tournament or bust crowd.  This team has grown leaps and bounds over the course of the season, something I wasn’t sold that Miles could do.  This team looks and feels different than previous Miles teams and I think barring a total collapse, this team has shown more than enough for Miles to be retained.  

This probably sums up my thoughts